Winter Barley 2020

Has anyone chanced the plough yet? Walked a few bits this evening snd was surprised tbh. If it stays dry in morning I might chance the hill field as we call it, if it's not fit to plough then none of the rest will.
Would yis be turning up seed rate a touch due to wet or leave alone?
Nothing turned over yet and after my walk around the wb ground I won't be turning any soil for a few days yet. It's not to bad considering but not fit either and I'm not panicking for time. If we get to the last week of Oct and nothing done I'd be getting worried alright. I'll be going in with about 14st across the board with mine. I always prefer to be looking at a crop then looking for a crop if that makes sense?. Cassia and Valarie.

Yep, I don't worry so much about what's not there.
When it's there and not right is the annoying time - if you get my jist! :scratchhead:

Nothing turned over yet and after my walk around the wb ground I won't be turning any soil for a few days yet. It's not to bad considering but not fit either and I'm not panicking for time. If we get to the last week of Oct and nothing done I'd be getting worried alright. I'll be going in with about 14st across the board with mine. I always prefer to be looking at a crop then looking for a crop if that makes sense?. Cassia and Valarie.
Youl have plenty of nice straw for the poor farmers next year :clap::laugh:

I’ll see how the weather is at the end of the week. Plough and seed will be ready anyway.
Chance of rain on Thursday/Friday. If that doesn’t come and the following week looks as good as I hope it will be then I’ll start on Thursday or Friday coming.

Forecast on met not great for the weekend and early next week, things are starting to build up!

Bit of barley ploughed and sown around here today, supposed to be ploughing up nice enough but having to stop for a while to let showers blow through.
Ye obviously didn't get the rain we had around here. Floods down again.

the hoped improvement for next week looks to be pushed away........

could well be November sowing I think.....

I’m not going mucking anything in so I’ll stand back and wait. Margins are too tight for patchy crops.

I did think You being too brave by posting That last week!!!

Ye obviously didn't get the rain we had around here. Floods down again.
There was 2 very heavy showers in the afternoon but they didn't last long, they have d drill up d ploughs arse so they getting away with it.
Looked at a few long range tonight, nothing gonna change in next 3 weeks r so. Might chance a bit tomorrow.
Ground is still warm so even if it goes in damp it should sprout quick enough

They are sowing into fresh ploughed ground around here since Thursday, in two minds whether to chance ground ploughed a few weeks ago today, it's a dry field but another day would help it but we're not going to get another day!

Anyone chancing getting barley in today? Borderline fit I think but rain again tomorrow.
What’s your definition of borederline?
Did a bit here last night, trying to get more in today,
ground is very slippery on top from fog last night, mounted plough is working, semi mounted it’s hard to get grip, what are you working with a one pass?
Disc Coulters?
It depends on your workload, how much do you need to get planted this autumn, is all spring crops an option?

I've started a bit, borderline indeed. 15 acres, so I'll finish it.
At least it settles me knowing it's ok not to!
November isn't very appealing up here either.
Online bbc forecast gives a better end to next week.... :unsure:

Sowing fresh ploughing which is perfect but have some ploughed a few days and it's just OK. After this I'll only plough what will be sowed that day

What’s your definition of borederline?
Did a bit here last night, trying to get more in today,
ground is very slippery on top from fog last night, mounted plough is working, semi mounted it’s hard to get grip, what are you working with a one pass?
Disc Coulters?
It depends on your workload, how much do you need to get planted this autumn, is all spring crops an option?
Working with one pass but usually give a run of spring Harrow first. I think I will skip that as less working of ground probably better. It is as dry a ground as you can get so I am unsure how wet is too wet.
Suffolk coulters, are they better or worse than discs in damp conditions?
I only have 33 acres to plant, all ploughed 2 weeks but I still have to go to work 5 days from Monday morning. So it’s evenings during week.
I think I might chance a bit this evening if it’s ok I might keep going well into night as tomorrow forecast not good and gets worse Monday.
I have to sow WB to split my harvest, manpower and time scarce.

Not here anyway, ground not fit we had a downpour yesterday and heavy rain the night before. I am not too worried. I have sown w barley in November a few years and it turned out fine. Only on dry though.
How confident are you that weather will improve? If I thought it would improve I would wait.

Good enough to sow here today but contractor off somewhere else, may give it another week, this 2 crop rule is a pain in the hole for part timers dependent on contractors!

Was very tempted to start around lunch but stuck on the disc just to give the furrows at the headlands a bit of a knock down and it’s still fairly mucky so bailed on it, hopefully end of week might give us a chance

Back