6 cylinder fordson major

johndeere6920s

Had brainwave here to buy a major and fit a 6 cylinder turbo to it just for a bit of fun really.
Had anyone done so?
I believe a Ford cargo engine will bolt in with little modification

Just need to lengthen chassis rails and steering arms and bonnet
And a Dorset would be more suited

Major's came with a P6 perkins as well :Thumbp2:. Lovely sound off them. The grandfather had one here back in the day and for some mad reason he decided it would destroy every field in the place from compaction so it got the boot after only a year I think and a dexta came in it's place but that proved to be woefully underpowered so got the boot again and a super dexta got that lasted all of 3 years and the engine was burnt out to the jaws of death mainly from no servicing. That was the end of our association with Henry Ford and the father and uncle made the move to MF.

Major's came with a P6 perkins as well :Thumbp2:. Lovely sound off them. The grandfather had one here back in the day and for some mad reason he decided it would destroy every field in the place from compaction so it got the boot after only a year I think and a dexta came in it's place but that proved to be woefully underpowered so got the boot again and a super dexta got that lasted all of 3 years and the engine was burnt out to the jaws of death mainly from no servicing. That was the end of our association with Henry Ford and the father and uncle made the move to MF.

You seem to be forgetting the Ford 3600 ?
Or as your brother told me ye affectionately call it "Daddys heap of sh#te " .
Its given 40 years of service.

I might be able to get a picture of a 1954 Diesel Major that was converted 40 years ago in the next few days . It's no beauty though.

Fordson Major was converted here using a 4cyl Ford Thames Trader lorry engine. Easy enough conversion bar changing the sump to a Major one to get the mounting bracket correct and I think the oil pump too. Was a pocket rocket after that.

I've a pet hate about 6 cylinder conversions and that's where the front axle is swung around instead of left normal.

Fordson Major was converted here using a 4cyl Ford Thames Trader lorry engine. Easy enough conversion bar changing the sump to a Major one to get the mounting bracket correct and I think the oil pump too. Was a pocket rocket after that.

I've a pet hate about 6 cylinder conversions and that's where the front axle is swung around instead of left normal.
If the engine was out of a Thames trader it would be the same as a major engine. Was it out of a D series ford lorry?

If the engine was out of a Thames trader it would be the same as a major engine. Was it out of a D series ford lorry?

They had more power though if I remember correctly :scratchhead: same engine was used in Ransomes combines too.

They had more power though if I remember correctly :scratchhead: same engine was used in Ransomes combines too.
Yea, the Ransomes combine had a major engine. The only difference between the major and trader engines was the trader engine was much higher reviving about 2800 RPM I think, other wise they were basically the same engine.

I always thought putting a 6 cylinder engine into a Q-cabbed 6600 or 7600 would be a nice project. You'd have something reasonably unusual when you'd be finished, and a useful tractor.

I always thought putting a 6 cylinder engine into a Q-cabbed 6600 or 7600 would be a nice project. You'd have something reasonably unusual when you'd be finished, and a useful tractor.

More or less a 2wd 7810 forerunner. Should be a good job.
McGees of Ardee used to sell a 7400 in the mid 70s , from memory. I think a 7000 with a 6 cylinder.

There is an MF 185 with a 6/354 fitted to it , about 4 miles away. I always thought Massey should have done it themselves , instead of making the pieces of cr#p known as a 1080 and 595. A lovely tractor , if it had a quieter cab.

McGees of Ardee used to sell a 7400 in the mid 70s , from memory. I think a 7000 with a 6 cylinder.

There is an MF 185 with a 6/354 fitted to it , about 4 miles away. I always thought Massey should have done it themselves , instead of making the pieces of cr#p known as a 1080 and 595. A lovely tractor , if it had a quieter cab.

Ive a 6.354 here that I fitted to a 590,I’m looking out for a suitable back end,a 298 is top of my list but finding any fergie with a dead engine is hard work.

Didn’t Ford make a similar tractor I think it was the 8100 it had six cylinder D series engine.
The MF 595 was certainly a heap scrap. There was two of them around here and they were constantly in trouble.

Didn’t Ford make a similar tractor I think it was the 8100 it had six cylinder D series engine.
The MF 595 was certainly a heap scrap. There was two of them around here and they were constantly in trouble.
Wasn't the 8100 a 6 cylinder version of the 6700/7700?

A Belgian firm made the engine cradle didn’t they?

I was involved in the spraying and an engine rebuild of a 2wd one when I was younger. It seemed a sort of a hybrid of bits. It was on a late 70s Irish re-reg, and had 8100 stickers. But it had a chassisless Ford 401 engine as opposed to the cargo engine with the funky manifold like was in an 8100. The 8200 had the 401 engine, but want released until 1982. I was friendly with the owner who is now sadly deceased so I borrowed it to move the digger once while we were turf cutting. A wheel bearing went on the front wheel on the return home with the low loader, so I changed it for him before I gave it back. Any of the front axle bits looked like the would be more at home on a 4000, under engineered.

It wasn't my sort of a tractor at all. It was so big and cumbersome next to the blizzard and dead as shite. Blizzard would eat it.

which in turn were just mildly upspecced 6600/7600s

Pretty sure ford sold the 7400 on the continent, it was done by EVA also, not sure what engine it was but it was a 6 cylinder 6/7600

eva-16.jpg

It would appear so

Ive a 6.354 here that I fitted to a 590,I’m looking out for a suitable back end,a 298 is top of my list but finding any fergie with a dead engine is hard work.
why a 298, only asking as a neighbour has one and any bits are crazy money for it compared to other 2-300 series. it is still a 595 back end from what I gather.

why a 298, only asking as a neighbour has one and any bits are crazy money for it compared to other 2-300 series. it is still a 595 back end from what I gather.
The engine bits would be crazy money,the rest is all the same.

That was the cunning plan here was to repower a 590, we bought 2 engines out of Kilmarnock when it shut a 354 and a 372 both ex test track machines then the 699 came out job sorted and sold both of them soon after that.

Back