What are you up to in the workshop?

Spontaneous purchase early this morning..
No idea if working and ram needs oil at a minimum so will require some tlc but head looks to be tight on bits pivot so hopefully works out.

A5946442-CC87-4503-8041-0C302A6DBBF8.jpeg

no I’m not on a spending spree the below incident complete coincidence although the guard was looking at my strangely heading into the village with a trailer before 7am saying I was looking for the atm.

E4DF8DDF-C117-4AE3-9B6C-01662470C85F.jpeg

Spontaneous purchase early this morning..
No idea if working and ram needs oil at a minimum so will require some tlc but head looks to be tight on bits pivot so hopefully works out.

View attachment 71697

no I’m not on a spending spree the below incident complete coincidence although the guard was looking at my strangely heading into the village with a trailer before 7am saying I was looking for the atm.

View attachment 71699

Saw that raid on the news last night.... well known family into vintage combines and such like, their lorry and digger?

anyway, before i go and get some work do, here are the final set of photos of the build showing the construction of the top grab, i've used some lining bars to get the brackets for the top grab and rams lining up with each other, ie put a long length of bar the same size as the pins through both brackets and clamped it all up before welding. then i've welded the strengthening webs into the top grab in situ to stop it distorting with the heat.

@BasilSeal was there much of a saving making your own compared to buying one

Saw that raid on the news last night.... well known family into vintage combines and such like, their lorry and digger?
I actually haven’t heard where it came from. Some suggestion it was from outside dundalk and a tractor and low loader were involved but doesn’t make sense as it was a beaver tail lorry that was abandoned.

I actually haven’t heard where it came from. Some suggestion it was from outside dundalk and a tractor and low loader were involved but doesn’t make sense as it was a beaver tail lorry that was abandoned.

Read that earlier today too, I noticed the name on the lorry but I might have been putting two and two together and getting ten.:blushing:

Did a bit of cowboy bodging this afternoon. Will likely make some members cringe at the idea but hey ho needs must.

The adjuster for the backrest on my Grammair seat had given up. So the back kept folding over and had nothing to stop it going all the way back.
New bits were slightly eye watering (although to be fair I didn't shop much (due to 'sales' people not calling me back!!!))

So. Welded a nut to a plate. Welded the plate to the seat. Sharpened a bolt... then sat in the seat and tightened the bolt to leave a mark on the adjuster plate of the seat.
Drilled it through then tightened the bolt too it! Not adjustable as such but can be collapsed to access the fuse board if needed!

Parts were a good fraction of a new seat. So if this does me a year I'll be happy and just buy a new seat when I need! Screenshot_20191119-140742_Gallery.jpg

Had a barrel of waste oil donated to me today for my workshop heater so had to devise a clean way to get it up to the storage tank upstairs on the loft.
I located an old electric motor with a pulley on it, found a hydraulic pump that came off an old MH 780 Special combine that we had decades ago (never throw away useful junk...) and a lump of girder.
A bit of cutting, plumbing, wiring and a shower of sparks later I had a transfer pump...took about 20 mins to quietly pump 200 litres of oil to the tank without spilling any.
The A-team would love it here...
20191119_124431.jpg 20191119_124509.jpg

8BF8E483-85D7-4E9F-9C3C-601BCE5718CE.jpeg
Had a barrel of waste oil donated to me today for my workshop heater so had to devise a clean way to get it up to the storage tank upstairs on the loft.
I located an old electric motor with a pulley on it, found a hydraulic pump that came off an old MH 780 Special combine that we had decades ago (never throw away useful junk...) and a lump of girder.
A bit of cutting, plumbing, wiring and a shower of sparks later I had a transfer pump...took about 20 mins to quietly pump 200 litres of oil to the tank without spilling any.
View attachment 71820 View attachment 71821

Hydraulic raise lower for the header of the MF 780 special :Thumbp2:

Similar type of pump on the Leyland 285/2100 at the very front :scratchhead:

Hydraulic raise lower for the header of the MF 780 special :Thumbp2:

Similar type of pump on the Leyland 285/2100 at the very front :scratchhead:
I'd say this pump is about as small as you can get, around ten litres a minute. It originally only had one lift ram and a clutch vari-pulley to actuate. The dual pump I fitted to the 272 here is close to 80 l/min!

Was looking for a weight for the tractor and loader but they seemed dear so said I'd cobble my own... Wanted to be able to tow a trailer as well with it on. Used the front part of a old mchale block cutter for the quick attach, its coming in at 970kg. Only bit of concrete is at the top to level it off. Must put a sheet on the top to finish it off and spray it sometime. Keeps the back down well!

Attachments

• IMG_20191120_131418.jpg
    IMG_20191120_131418.jpg
    340.1 KB · Views: 144
Was looking for a weight for the tractor and loader but they seemed dear so said I'd cobble my own... Wanted to be able to tow a trailer as well with it on. Used the front part of a old mchale block cutter for the quick attach, its coming in at 970kg. Only bit of concrete is at the top to level it off. Must put a sheet on the top to finish it off and spray it sometime. Keeps the back down well!
Did something similar ourselves. A towbar off a Peugeot 406, a drawbar off a Claas square baler, a cross shaft out of a plough, a length of gun barrel and a few bits of assorted scrap. It's pretty much a solid concrete block. Cheap and cheeful, haven't weighed it but in theory it's something over a tonne. The square indentations in the back were left for lights if ever needed, there are a couple of lengths of copper pipe running through it for wires if required, there are triangular reflectors in it since for the time being. I was going to paint it black, haven't got around to it yet.
Screenshot_20191120-184048_WhatsApp.jpg

I’m going to have to call to your place some day, for nothing else but to have a look around!!!

Back