Are hybrid cars all they are cracked up to be?

I spent last week in the Web summit in Portugal, Huge amount of tech being developed for electic and self-driven cars, 2 diesel cars here, I thought when the next one is replaced in a few years it would be for a petrol car, fairly sure now it will be electric.

Reactions: AYF
They are probably all right for short and or local journeys. I'd reckon on the open road longer journeys not great.

The Chinese own the mining rights for Lithium on Mt Leinster and a large part of Co Carlow. Is Lithium used in the treatment of mental illness. Maybe the toxic dust will have a positive effect .

I have reliably read that China controls 40% of the lithium market. I've also come across the claim that they own 80% of Lithium deposits, but I'm not so certain about that figure.

Well the diesel Corollas here has been replaced by a petrol hybrid, fuel consumption slightly higher on the hybrid and petrol costs more than diesel, 15 yr warranty on the battery, where the hybrid suffers is at motorway speeds where the battery makes no contribution, bear in mind i'm comparing a manual transmission in the diesel with an automatic in the hybrid, a diesel automatic would probably be harder on fuel, the new car has a better chassis and is a much nicer drive not that I drive it too often, heading for 9000km in less than 2 months.

Well the diesel Corollas here has been replaced by a petrol hybrid, fuel consumption slightly higher on the hybrid and petrol costs more than diesel, 15 yr warranty on the battery, where the hybrid suffers is at motorway speeds where the battery makes no contribution, bear in mind i'm comparing a manual transmission in the diesel with an automatic in the hybrid, a diesel automatic would probably be harder on fuel, the new car has a better chassis and is a much nicer drive not that I drive it too often, heading for 9000km in less than 2 months.

most new automatics are more fuel efficient than the manuals. They are eight and nine speed now.

That is why the Motorway speed is going to be reduced to 100Km an hour to make the electric and hybrid cars more competitive .

That's a fair whack of mileage... an ex colleague of mine is in the Camry now. Loves it and says it's doing over 40 mpg . Think it's a 2.2 engine so petrols must have come on a lot

That's a fair whack of mileage... an ex colleague of mine is in the Camry now. Loves it and says it's doing over 40 mpg . Think it's a 2.2 engine so petrols must have come on a lot
Corolla's doing a spit above 60mpg, that's not saying I could make it do in the 40's

Corolla's doing a spit above 60mpg, that's not saying I could make it do in the 40's
I presume that's the overall mpg in mixed driving with the electric cutting in and out rather than just the petrol engine is it?

I should have said he meant the car could do over 40mpg in motorway driving just on the petrol drive

I presume that's the overall mpg in mixed driving with the electric cutting in and out rather than just the petrol engine is it?

I should have said he meant the car could do over 40mpg in motorway driving just on the petrol drive
Yes, the 60 is the average over the mix of driving so far, it was a bit higher but got a share of motorway last week which dropped the avg. Over the mix of regular driving the electric wouldn't be on 50% of the time as Toyota claim.

Met a lad Saturday had a Hyundai kona electric 60kw battery I think he said good. He was getting good range 500km in the summer 400km last week when going to killarney and limerick with the heater on in fairness its the type of thing I might look at for the father

It's a 50k car with a 10k rebate of that. it's pricey for a small car. But ur right it has a good range for pure electric and can easily bring 4 adults comfortably and looks pretty good aswell.

My wife used to get more MPG out of her 1.0 litre Corsa than I got out of my 3.0 Litre Diesel Beemer.
She could also get more miles out of the Beemer than I could get out the Corsa:rolleyes2:
Same here..put it down to the bloody steel toe caps

Back