Are hybrid cars all they are cracked up to be?

There are some amount of people lining up to make a fortune out of climate change.
Every kind of charlatan & bluffer selling anxiety & guilt.

I listen to very very few of them.

why?

If they're buying, why not sell to them :)

Electric, wind and solar were all created by genius trying to make a positive change. Then, got taken over by big businessmen who regularly push governments into buying/backing the product regardless of how good it is.
Then it takes a couple decades and a new government to accept that it was a mistake and by then, the big business men will be ready to push something else.

Am interested in this as we are contemplating changing the car here. Currently have diesel but majority of time it’s used on short trips for school etc. One vehicle that has caught our attention is the Mitsubishi Outlander which is a plug in hybrid. We need something with a bit of space so that is why we need that size of a vehicle. Hard to decide what to go for but on paper it looks like it ticks a lot of the boxes!

Am interested in this as we are contemplating changing the car here. Currently have diesel but majority of time it’s used on short trips for school etc. One vehicle that has caught our attention is the Mitsubishi Outlander which is a plug in hybrid. We need something with a bit of space so that is why we need that size of a vehicle. Hard to decide what to go for but on paper it looks like it ticks a lot of the boxes!
Try and talk to someone who has one of those vehicles and get their opinion on it. The reason I say that is because I know 2 people with hybrids and both have said their cars are at best no more economical then full diesel cars and worst might be slightly harder on fuel. One of the cars is a Toyota but not a prius. I can't remember exactly other then it has a huge arse on it. I think the other car is a Nissan but not sure on that.
Would a full electric car be better if short runs are all it will be doing?.

My wife used to get more MPG out of her 1.0 litre Corsa than I got out of my 3.0 Litre Diesel Beemer.
She could also get more miles out of the Beemer than I could get out the Corsa:rolleyes2:
My Mrs's 330d will do about 45mpg with her driving local
I did get 61mpg on a trip to cornwall last year which I thought was fookin impressive seeing the roads round cornwall

So we all get electric cars sometime in the future powered by green energy.
How much extra electricity needs to be produced to keep them all going.
What ever the amount is, We then need the same amount of conventional electricity capacity available as a backup when there is no sun or wind?
and if we change over to electricity where is the government going to get new income to replace the tax they take in on petrol and diesel

Try and talk to someone who has one of those vehicles and get their opinion on it. The reason I say that is because I know 2 people with hybrids and both have said their cars are at best no more economical then full diesel cars and worst might be slightly harder on fuel. One of the cars is a Toyota but not a prius. I can't remember exactly other then it has a huge arse on it. I think the other car is a Nissan but not sure on that.
Would a full electric car be better if short runs are all it will be doing?.

I spoke to 2 other people that have them and use them similar to what we would be doing. The feedback was good, both were frustrated with the availability of working charging points but at least you are not stuck as you can rely on petrol. Majority of daily drives are under 20 miles so that should be all electric and then at weekends we would be doing longer journeys and motorway use. Haven’t fully made our minds up but they seem to be a good value way of getting into this technology.

Arthur, were you and your wife not tempted to go with the last of the Diesel Corolla 's or were you simply too late?

Arthur, were you and your wife not tempted to go with the last of the Diesel Corolla 's or were you simply too late?
We traded a diesel 181 with 60,000 km, it was a top spec corolla a sol, the hybrid is a Luna sport, the sol was not nice as I think the low sidewall tyres didn't suit it's suspension and country roads, even a lot of road noise, its predecessor a142 Luna was a nicer drive. Also we were getting vat and a share of vrt off because wife's mother is being cared for so disability allowance and zero road tax so back to new costing 40 euro a month less, the 40 is probably used up in fuel costs and whether we will be better off when it comes to the next change only time will tell.

my accountant has one and loves it,ok it doesn’t look great (she had a golf before) but the fact it’s used £400 in electric and fuel to do 12000m is pretty impressive.

Old crewcab here does 28 to the gallon in old money. Approx 200k on the clock. But as long as she ll stay going, it s far more carbon friendly than buying any new hybrid IMO. Its there anyway and will probably still be driving for someone when todays hybrid will be calling for a new battery

Confirming my suspicions.

The old diesel cars that are traded in go out to the third world countries for the workers who mine the materials for the batteries to drive to work .

Also where do people think the electricity they use to charge the cars comes from .

An auld english buck that sells electric bikes and scooters and electric cars on done deal from china which @ muckymanor had referred to in A post somewhere here.
Was coming back into town after milking and his electric car was just after exploding down at the marina he owns.fire brigade there.
Apart from it being Chinese and looks more like a child's bubble car it was only bought this year.
Fine advertisement for it

The old diesel cars that are traded in go out to the third world countries for the workers who mine the materials for the batteries to drive to work .

Also where do people think the electricity they use to charge the cars comes from .
Mining the ore for the batteries uses up more fuel per year then the American air lines burn. Thats not including transport and processing or the finished car. Not very green at all.

Back