Ez guide 250

massey 6480

Right lads anyone here used/using a trimble ez guide 250 . Looking for yer opinion on how easy it's to set up to use for say spreading fert then changing it to cut silage . O e of the lads at work here went looking at one today and bit disappointed with the fact it can't store each individual machine so has to be setup each time Tia

Right lads anyone here used/using a trimble ez guide 250 . Looking for yer opinion on how easy it's to set up to use for say spreading fert then changing it to cut silage . O e of the lads at work here went looking at one today and bit disappointed with the fact it can't store each individual machine so has to be setup each time Tia
Simple enough to use if your sticking with the same width for each machine, it's slow to change width as it measures to 3 decimal places and you have to go up through each increment rather than say selecting each digit and adjusting it. It does start to jump in .010's then in .1 steps if you keep holding the button down.
It's simple enough to set up for lines though if you stay in easy user mode, in advanced mode you can set each field name and save your ab line for each field which can be quite handy if you always work off the one line, but it takes a bit of time to set each field name. Once you've saved a field once you can select it from a sort of map once your nearby.
We've it here 4 years now and do find it very handy, and does all we need from it, mainly just fert spraying and mowing, but have also marked parallel lines off for fencing paddocks and that with it.

For mowing I just leave it set to say 15m and just use it to open up sets, if you bring it down to 3m I find it takes very little to end up jumping lines, a glance over your shoulder could pull you enough to drift onto the next line and your left with short ground that your trying to avoid in the first place, if you need to measure a field it's simple enough you just setup to record the headland when your mowing the third round into the field, rather than the first round if you had it set to 3m

@drew Another question for you . Lads also said about having to know how far the antenna /aerial was from say the fert spreder vein`s or the blades on the mower are and on the mower having to set the offset so it reads from the center of the mower . This actually put a good lot of them off the system . But i`m wondering whats the advantage of them setting`s . All it`s really needed for is the a b line so could`nt they all be put in as 0 and just set the working width . Probably looking at this in a very basic way but in reality that`s all it would be used for 99% of the time i`d say .

Last edited:
@drew Another question for you . Lads also said about having to know how far the antenna /aerial was from say the fert spreder vein`s or the blades on the mower are and on the mower having to set the offset so it reads from the center of the mower . This actually put a good lot of them off the system . But i`m wondering whats the advantage of them setting`s . All it`s really needed for is the a b line so could`nt they all be put in as 0 and just set the working width . Probably looking at this in a very basic way but in reality that`s all it would be used for 99% of the time i`d say .
Have one here, and to be honest is mostly used like you describe for an AB line, never bothered with setting an offset for the mower just left set at 24m for fert spreader. If you don't enter offset and distance behind the tractor it still gives you a guidance line you couldn't use the map for lifting on headlands but doesn't matter with the mower. Rarely ever use the headland mode or field measuring. Would probably play with it a lot more if it was in the cvx but it just lives in the puma.

They way you say it is exactly as I run it, I never worry about offsets, I think it may be set roughly right for the sprayer and is left at that, the only reason you would need to set the offsets right is for coverage logging to be bang on. I only really worry about recording the area when spraying so it's set for that, after that I just use it for a-b lines or identical curve lines. Perhaps I'm not using it to its max but it's all I need from it really, as I said above for mowing and the likes I just leave it at 15m and work away using it to open sets it works out and I don't have to spend my time faffing about changing settings every time I go to use it, just switch on and select whichever line type I want and work away,

Have one here, and to be honest is mostly used like you describe for an AB line, never bothered with setting an offset for the mower just left set at 24m for fert spreader. If you don't enter offset and distance behind the tractor it still gives you a guidance line you couldn't use the map for lifting on headlands but doesn't matter with the mower. Rarely ever use the headland mode or field measuring. Would probably play with it a lot more if it was in the cvx but it just lives in the puma.

They way you say it is exactly as I run it, I never worry about offsets, I think it may be set roughly right for the sprayer and is left at that, the only reason you would need to set the offsets right is for coverage logging to be bang on. I only really worry about recording the area when spraying so it's set for that, after that I just use it for a-b lines or identical curve lines. Perhaps I'm not using it to its max but it's all I need from it really, as I said above for mowing and the likes I just leave it at 15m and work away using it to open sets it works out and I don't have to spend my time faffing about changing settings every time I go to use it, just switch on and select whichever line type I want and work away,
That`s the way i thought it would be used alright . Now to convince the power`s that be to open the wallet . :lol:

Hey folks, quick question for ez guide 250 users, if I want to measure area coverage say when spraying or spreading fert, in a field with no straight sides how would you do that, can't use headland mode as I won't have straight AB line.

Hey folks, quick question for ez guide 250 users, if I want to measure area coverage say when spraying or spreading fert, in a field with no straight sides how would you do that, can't use headland mode as I won't have straight AB line.
You only need 50 meters to get an a-b line. In the likes of that tho I’d normally just pick a roughly straight part of a ditch and work from there, might mean you’ve short ground to both sides though..

do you normally work the field in free form or identical curve or do you just pick a rough straight line as it is?
It’s a bit of a pain but if you only want to measure it you can just press a and b at any point around the field just purely to get the headland done to measure them re set to give you guidance,

if your working on a tramlined field just press a at one end of a tramline and b at the other end of the same tramline

You only need 50 meters to get an a-b line. In the likes of that tho I’d normally just pick a roughly straight part of a ditch and work from there, might mean you’ve short ground to both sides though..

do you normally work the field in free form or identical curve or do you just pick a rough straight line as it is?
It’s a bit of a pain but if you only want to measure it you can just press a and b at any point around the field just purely to get the headland done to measure them re set to give you guidance,

if your working on a tramlined field just press a at one end of a tramline and b at the other end of the same tramline
Hey drew, I don't normally do anything as it's a new to me GPS, hence the basic questions, I'm sure if I could go play with it in a field it would all start to make more sense!

Hey drew, I don't normally do anything as it's a new to me GPS, hence the basic questions, I'm sure if I could go play with it in a field it would all start to make more sense!
Ah right! In reality it’s far easier to try pick a straightish stretch and work with straight lines than trying to follow a curve, especially if it’s on grass. A quick look at most fields on google maps and you can kinda pick your straightest part before you start. The best part of it is say you come in the gate at one side and start around but the straight ditch is at the far side there’s nothing stopping you spreading the middle from the gate side once you’ve your a-b set and you’ll end up back square with the straight side. if I’m spreading a group of fields and I don’t need to measure I’ll just use free form then set an a-b line in each field the best part of free form is you can keep resetting the a-b line with out going through all the settings for width overlap etc

I’ve a switch wired up on my fert sower so it turns coverage on when the shutter opens,it works a treat for area measurements.

I’ve a switch wired up on my fert sower so it turns coverage on when the shutter opens,it works a treat for area measurements.
Yeah it sounds like that's what the perfect solution would be for fert.... Is there any other way to stop it double counting where you turn at headlands without pressing the button on the unit? Basically I need the area covered but only counting doubled areas once. it'll be the same story spraying

Yeah it sounds like that's what the perfect solution would be for fert.... Is there any other way to stop it double counting where you turn at headlands without pressing the button on the unit? Basically I need the area covered but only counting doubled areas once. it'll be the same story spraying
You can wire a simple switch across pins 4 and 8 in the deutsch plug and stick it to say your spool lever so you can flick it on and off as you open close the shutter. Can’t find the pins needed now on eBay but I’ll have another route see if I can find them. Don’t put any power into the pins though, just a switch to make the circuit.
You do also have to turn on the external switch in the settings though.

I have a Topcon and you can set it up as Field boundary when doing the headland run. Then once the headland done set it for headland, this turns it on and off at each headland once it meets the area covered by the headland round. No need to switch on/ off every run. Very accurate I find.

I have a Topcon and you can set it up as Field boundary when doing the headland run. Then once the headland done set it for headland, this turns it on and off at each headland once it meets the area covered by the headland round. No need to switch on/ off every run. Very accurate I find.
That sounds like a great system, I've only been messing with the Trimble in the yard and on the lane as fields are saturated, but I don't think that's how it works.

You can wire a simple switch across pins 4 and 8 in the deutsch plug and stick it to say your spool lever so you can flick it on and off as you open close the shutter. Can’t find the pins needed now on eBay but I’ll have another route see if I can find them. Don’t put any power into the pins though, just a switch to make the circuit.
You do also have to turn on the external switch in the settings though.
I'm a bit simple when it come to electronics but what sort of switch is needed? Is it a pulse or a constant complete circuit?

I'm a bit simple when it come to electronics but what sort of switch is needed? Is it a pulse or a constant complete circuit?
Just a constant on or off switch. Connect pin 4 to one side and the other side back to pin 8,

That sounds like a great system, I've only been messing with the Trimble in the yard and on the lane as fields are saturated, but I don't think that's how it works.
I’d be surprised if that setting is not on yours too. Shur it would be a pain otherwise, your bound to forget it a few times. Same applies when say sowing, when doing the headlands after the middle of the field, once you have it set up for machine width and number of headland runs all you have to do is change it once.
Mind you it took me a bit of time to figure that setting out and biggest trouble is I don’t use it enough to be very familiar with it so lots of head scratching starting every job.

I’d be surprised if that setting is not on yours too. Shur it would be a pain otherwise, your bound to forget it a few times. Same applies when say sowing, when doing the headlands after the middle of the field, once you have it set up for machine width and number of headland runs all you have to do is change it once.
Mind you it took me a bit of time to figure that setting out and biggest trouble is I don’t use it enough to be very familiar with it so lots of head scratching starting every job.
I’ve never come across it on my 250,I know black box and JD have it,it’s probably there but not obvious.

Anybody else getting a bit of bother with keeping satellite strength lately? Seems to be dropping signal every time I turn on the headland which is a pain in paddocks as your halfway back across the field before it’s back giving you any sort of guidance, changed it to favour availability even and it’s still being hit and miss. Can’t see that anything has changed from the backend and it was working ok then

Anybody else getting a bit of bother with keeping satellite strength lately? Seems to be dropping signal every time I turn on the headland which is a pain in paddocks as your halfway back across the field before it’s back giving you any sort of guidance, changed it to favour availability even and it’s still being hit and miss. Can’t see that anything has changed from the backend and it was working ok then
No problems here yesterday using an early Trimble Ez guide.

Back