Thoughts on which 100HP tractor at €30k?

weshtlad

Howdy folks,

Looking to get some thoughts on what tractor you'd recommend in the 30k price range at this moment in time? Not looking to go over this if at all possible. But on the subject of prices, if a dealer is quoting say 35000, what is the actual selling price really? How inflated is their first quote to a potential buyer?

Haven't visited many dealers yet but I did look at a Landini Vision 105, Powerfarm 100 (which I wasnt keen on inside the cab) and two John Deere's, a 6220 and 6320.

I'd have a preference for the John Deere's myself even though they have around twice the hours of the Landini but I've read that the early JD 6x20's gave trouble with head gaskets amongst other things and left costly repair bills. I haven't heard any major complaints about Landini Visions and that's knowing a few guys that own them locally.

Basically I'm just looking for a good farmers tractor that won't be leaving any major repair bills in the coming years.

I definitely want a power shuttle, preferably with a loader, that can comfortably carry a ton of fertiliser to the rear, pull a 2000 gallon tank from time to time and a bale trailer with 6-8 bales over the summer.

Having driven them in the past, the John Deere definitely feels more gutsy than the Vision 105, but maybe that's just me. Has anyone got any experience with a Vision and hauling bales or a 2000G tank??

Any suggestions welcome!

Cheers

Howdy folks,

Looking to get some thoughts on what tractor you'd recommend in the 30k price range at this moment in time? Not looking to go over this if at all possible. But on the subject of prices, if a dealer is quoting say 35000, what is the actual selling price really? How inflated is their first quote to a potential buyer?

Haven't visited many dealers yet but I did look at a Landini Vision 105, Powerfarm 100 (which I wasnt keen on inside the cab) and two John Deere's, a 6220 and 6320.

I'd have a preference for the John Deere's myself even though they have around twice the hours of the Landini but I've read that the early JD 6x20's gave trouble with head gaskets amongst other things and left costly repair bills. I haven't heard any major complaints about Landini Visions and that's knowing a few guys that own them locally.

Basically I'm just looking for a good farmers tractor that won't be leaving any major repair bills in the coming years.

I definitely want a power shuttle, preferably with a loader, that can comfortably carry a ton of fertiliser to the rear, pull a 2000 gallon tank from time to time and a bale trailer with 6-8 bales over the summer.

Having driven them in the past, the John Deere definitely feels more gutsy than the Vision 105, but maybe that's just me. Has anyone got any experience with a Vision and hauling bales or a 2000G tank??

Any suggestions welcome!

Cheers

If it was my money I would get a nice clean low houred mf 6265 2003ish and keep 5 to 8k of that money in my pocket.
https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/2000-massey-ferguson-6265/15863117

I probably wouldn't go the above tractor as you could get newer but just to see an example.

A valtra would be worth a look, plenty of them about with mammoth hours and very little gone wrong

Inc vat I presume ?

Vat included yes.

Hadn’t considered an older Massey or Valtra. Suppose I’m lucky enough to have a lot of main dealers pretty close by but they’re all stocking pretty fresh stuff that’s upwards of 30k. Seems hard to find any great value for what I had considered a good budget.

I wouldn't be too keen on the Vision with the power shuttle. As I've said before Landini did things fine when they kept it simple but failed when more complicated. @massey 6480 and @Tim818 have Visions I think.

Not very knowledgeable on the JD's but I think that head gasket issue is more of a 6 cylinder issue.

I'd also have a look at a NH TLA or similar.

I'm surprised you are finding it difficult with that budget, I'd have thought there would be a good selection at that level.

new holland ts and tsa will fit right in at that budget. be better again if you can get one with sle

I wouldn't be too keen on the Vision with the power shuttle. As I've said before Landini did things fine when they kept it simple but failed when more complicated. @massey 6480 and @Tim818 have Visions I think.

Not very knowledgeable on the JD's but I think that head gasket issue is more of a 6 cylinder issue.

I'd also have a look at a NH TLA or similar.

I'm surprised you are finding it difficult with that budget, I'd have thought there would be a good selection at that level.

Any particular reason you would advise against the power shuttle on a Vision? Is a Vision a reliable unit with a manual shuttle ?

I'm surprised at the lack of quality out there for 30k myself, I would have expected more. Went to see a New Holland yesterday that was advertised in a local dealer. In the flesh it looked completely different to the pictures that were up online.

Out of what I have seen so far, the JD is by far the most impressive but I'll keep searching.

same here get a 62 with dynashift though if you can rather than just powershift.
If you've 30k though my suggestion would be buy a low houred one without a loader and fit the loader yourself.
Will be a bit dearer but widens your chance of getting a good fresh tractor.

I'd recommend the 6270 though slightly heavier but its the baby brother of 6280/6290 with similar build and same engine just lower output.
rather than 6265 which is the big brother of the smaller models. The 6270 is 6 cyclinder though 6265 is 4 cyclinder.

Any particular reason you would advise against the power shuttle on a Vision? Is a Vision a reliable unit with a manual shuttle ?

I'm surprised at the lack of quality out there for 30k myself, I would have expected more. Went to see a New Holland yesterday that was advertised in a local dealer. In the flesh it looked completely different to the pictures that were up online.

Out of what I have seen so far, the JD is by far the most impressive but I'll keep searching.
Have an 06 vision 105 here at home powershuttle. About 7500hrs on it . Only issue it’s ever had was end of last year front axle diff bearings went . Great tractor. Not the heaviest tractor for loader work . But the one here has done some rooting with a7ft bucket and still going perfect. There was 3 more 105 locally and all gave no trouble as well.

We have an 09 Vision 105 here with 8500hrs from new. Good basic workhorse. From our experience the powershuttle model will be more reliable than the dry clutch version based on our history with Blizzard and Ghibli models. The issues we have had in those hours are: waterpump, hydraulic pump, front hub seal, f/r solenoid, shuttle module and a fan blade let go one day and punctured the radiator. Ours gets littly sympathy from the old boy here so I'd be happy with the above issues...
They are not the most ergonomically friendly tractors and won't have the same comfort as the JD but they serve a purpose and ours has done everything it has been asked. We would have another. I would also rate the shuttle as one of the best in class.
The Deere would be nice alright but that would also l be reflected in the price I would imagine. More comfort and higher hydraulic flow for loader work. 2004 onwards were the best of them I'm told.

I know of a few that gave trouble but the other side of it is the dry clutch models are not great in terms of clutch longevity. I'm not sure what the Vision clutch kit costs but the 9880 one is saucy enough.

I'd rate the Vision much more highly than a Ghibli which most say is poor compared to a Blizzard.

The lads above seem to get on well with theirs so Maybe It's a local thing.

I can tell you the supply/quality for a lot less than your budget is much worse again.:sad:

2nd hand values have crept up, you'd probably get a NH 6020 with 4-5000 hrs for the money or a TSA 115 if you wanted a 6 cyl.

same here get a 62 with dynashift though if you can rather than just powershift.
If you've 30k though my suggestion would be buy a low houred one without a loader and fit the loader yourself.
Will be a bit dearer but widens your chance of getting a good fresh tractor.

I'd recommend the 6270 though slightly heavier but its the baby brother of 6280/6290 with similar build and same engine just lower output.
rather than 6265 which is the big brother of the smaller models. The 6270 is 6 cyclinder though 6265 is 4 cyclinder.

A very good suggestion here in terms of buying a tractor without loader and adding loader after.
A lot of loader tractors will be wrecked by time they’re sold.
Mightn’t work out much dearer after all.

Id agree with this also. Was shopping with a similar budget last year. Looked at a lot of loader tractors last and it's very hard to get a right second hand one in that budget. Ended up buying with a loader but the tractor had very low hours but it was just by chance I came on it. Was more or less resigned to buying a tractor and putting a loader on afterwards.

The Deere would be nice alright but that would also l be reflected in the price I would imagine. More comfort and higher hydraulic flow for loader work. 2004 onwards were the best of them I'm told.

The price of a 04 Deere 6220 is 2 grand less than a 08 Landini Vision 95. Mind you the Deere has twice the hours of the Vision, but it's hard to tell that from looking at the two.

Id agree with this also. Was shopping with a similar budget last year. Looked at a lot of loader tractors last and it's very hard to get a right second hand one in that budget. Ended up buying with a loader but the tractor had very low hours but it was just by chance I came on it. Was more or less resigned to buying a tractor and putting a loader on afterwards.

It seems almost impossible to find a decent machine for anything less than 30k, then again one man's definition of decent could be very different to another.

The price of a 04 Deere 6220 is 2 grand less than a 08 Landini Vision 95. Mind you the Deere has twice the hours of the Vision, but it's hard to tell that from looking at the two.

It seems almost impossible to find a decent machine for anything less than 30k, then again one man's definition of decent could be very different to another.
You mention spreading your own slurry. Might need to consider having enough hydraulic couplings for a dribble bar or shoe going forward

Back