Farmland and environmental protection

He was down again this evening.and he saw : Jackdaw, Rook, Robin, Wren, Song Thrush, Blackbird, Blackcap, Willow Warbler, Chaffinch, Yellowhammer, Snipe, Buzzard, Woodpigeon, Blue tit, Swallow, and the Comma Butterfly.

F0315C34-1AF3-4F3E-8D8B-FC38F77A6535.jpeg

I came across these 2 monsters at it in a ditch today, don’t know what exactly they are but some sort of beetle.

I saw this Buzzard on the way home. The nephew caught the owl with the heat seeking camera.

Attachments

• F49E6EA7-EA12-4F48-9431-10BC873C82E4.jpeg
    F49E6EA7-EA12-4F48-9431-10BC873C82E4.jpeg
    238.2 KB · Views: 152
  • C602E424-AABF-4A3E-A7A5-7D082F8B6799.jpeg
    C602E424-AABF-4A3E-A7A5-7D082F8B6799.jpeg
    147 KB · Views: 157
  • 6119E15D-4A04-4855-A68B-86208B1A982E.jpeg
    6119E15D-4A04-4855-A68B-86208B1A982E.jpeg
    33.3 KB · Views: 161
  • 5528AF66-6A4C-4941-927B-34E25BC2040B.jpeg
    5528AF66-6A4C-4941-927B-34E25BC2040B.jpeg
    35 KB · Views: 150
We have had a young birdwatcher doing bird counts on the farm. He is in his early twenties and has a university degree so is qualified to do accurate counts. He is working on a bird book for Carlow.
This is his list of birds he has seen.

Snipe, Woodcock, Golden Plover, Kestrel, Sparrowhawk, Buzzard, Peregrine Falcon, Barn Owl, Woodpigeon, Feral Pigeon, Stock Dove, House Martin, Swallow, Pied Wagtail, Meadow Pipit, Skylark, Wheatear, Robin, Blackbird, Song Thrush, Mistle Thrush, Redwing, Fieldfare, Stonechat, Chiffchaff, Willow Warbler, Blackcap, Goldcrest, Spotted Flycatcher, Wren, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Coal Tit, Jackdaw, Rook, Raven, Hooded Crow, Magpie, Jay, Starling, House Sparrow, Dunnock, Goldfinch, Chaffinch, Bullfinch, Linnet, Yellowhammer and Reed Bunting.

I would expect to add some more species over time such as Mallard, Teal, Little Egret, Grey Heron, Lapwing, Black-headed Gull, Grey Wagtail, Long-eared Owl, Long-tailed Tit, Treecreeper, Whitethroat, Sedge Warbler, Swift, Redpoll, Siskin, Collared Dove, which some of you may have already seen on the farm.

I was wondering could it be Pine Martin’s . They were near the yard for the last fifteen years and raised substantial clutches .
The increase in pine martens is supposedly linked to an increase in red squirrel numbers as they don’t get on with the grays. I’ve seen more red squirrels here in the past five years than in the previous 40 ! Swings and roundabouts.

The increase in pine martens is supposedly linked to an increase in red squirrel numbers as they don’t get on with the grays. I’ve seen more red squirrels here in the past five years than in the previous 40 ! Swings and roundabouts.
I have noticed the same, quite often see red squirrels around here with the last ten years or so. Before that they were very scarce. Some thing is obviously helping them.

Waterhens will move on or be eaten, mainly move on, when a pine marten moves into an area, but buzzard wipes them out.

Kerry is the only place i ever heard the cuckoo

I heard a cuckoo a few minutes ago , when in the bog looking at my turf which was cut on Tuesday.

They say you can sow potato’s while you can see out through an ash tree. No problem on that score .

I heard my 1st cuckoo of 2020 on Wednesday evening in the bog . I wasn't there for months , so its possible that it has bee n there weeks now . I haven't heard one anywhere else in 2020.

You don't move in the correct circles , @Agri Power

Waterhens will move on or be eaten, mainly move on, when a pine marten moves into an area, but buzzard wipes them out.

I'd say its more likely mink wiping out the waterhens - neither the Pine Marten or Buzzards like getting their feet wet. Got all three on my own place atm.

I've a naturally occurring pond here and every year since I can remember it's had water hens nest on it. There's an island made of a pile of rocks in the middle for them to nest on where nothing can kill them. Ive reduced the size of the pond and it's only a quarter of what it was but their still there. Sometimes swans land on it but only stay for a few days. Nature is marvellous when we take a moment to actually look at it.

Back