Silage 2020

Is that PO'D??
This is pod anyway
20200516_114701.jpg

We did 63 acres in 12 hrs during the week. A nice crop but not extremely heavy.... 45 acres 3 k each way 10 2.5 and 8 around the parlour... 2 wagons one big one one medium size....
Wagons seem to be loosing a bit of ground around here ... I know of 2 big outfits that had 4 wagons each gone to harvester this year and last...they had a pile of long draws and it was killing them. More lads are travelling futher and futher for Grass

We did 63 acres in 12 hrs during the week. A nice crop but not extremely heavy.... 45 acres 3 k each way 10 2.5 and 8 around the parlour... 2 wagons one big one one medium size....
Wagons seem to be loosing a bit of ground around here ... I know of 2 big outfits that had 4 wagons each gone to harvester this year and last...they had a pile of long draws and it was killing them. More lads are travelling futher and futher for Grass
One of the biggest cods of all time, wagons are grand for your own silage, or for a handy amount of contracting, but around here anyway there's 3 contractors who all got into pit silage in the last 10 years with wagons, their sales pitch was the usual a SP is too fast, longer chop is better, the minute they got their acerage up they bought a SP and got their customers to change, dairy expansion has reined in the wagons, silage around the yard is decreasing year on year, they will always have their place but won't take over like people raved about (no offence to any wagon owners)

Long draws are getting more common around here. I'd call a three mile each way a long draw for the wagon now there's lads going fifteen miles each way for a load of grass. Its hard for the wagons to compete against a harvester when its not a big deal for the harvester to call in extra trailers.

Long draws are getting more common around here. I'd call a three mile each way a long draw for the wagon now there's lads going fifteen miles each way for a load of grass. Its hard for the wagons to compete against a harvester when its not a big deal for the harvester to call in extra trailers.

15 miles is a savage long draw... and off the scale for a wagon in my view of you think about the time grass is actually being lifted from the field.

Longest draw I have inflicted was about 27km to field. Contractor happy do it at quite times for extra cost obvs. It's okay if bring dry feed like wholecrop or dry silage as getting more kgs of dry matter on board. In a wet year it would be madness to contemplate it. Last years silage, was about 22km on good roads, and the shorter draw on poorer roads of about 9km was taking the same time to round trip.

Longest draw I have inflicted was about 27km to field. Contractor happy do it at quite times for extra cost obvs. It's okay if bring dry feed like wholecrop or dry silage as getting more kgs of dry matter on board. In a wet year it would be madness to contemplate it. Last years silage, was about 22km on good roads, and the shorter draw on poorer roads of about 9km was taking the same time to round trip.
When you say extra cost, are you talking a few euros per acre or significant increase? Madness some of the draws lads are at nowadays.

Maybe 20%+ per ac, I never question the extra charge the contractor has on the bill. Fair is fair.
Ah that isn't too bad in the grand scheme of things, on that sort of draw I would nearly expect it to be higher to be honest. The issue I think is if you need to draw slurry back that far, that is when outfarms become expensive. Although in your case, drawing slurry that far isn't a cost effective option I would think, would probably be cheaper buy chemical P and K.

Ah that isn't too bad in the grand scheme of things, on that sort of draw I would nearly expect it to be higher to be honest. The issue I think is if you need to draw slurry back that far, that is when outfarms become expensive. Although in your case, drawing slurry that far isn't a cost effective option I would think, would probably be cheaper buy chemical P and K.

You just use artics, at 60 and hour you would be surprised how quick they can move gls. Or have used rigid tippers drawing dung.

Back