Silage 2020

15 miles is a savage long draw... and off the scale for a wagon in my view of you think about the time grass is actually being lifted from the field.

Well its working out at the best part of two hours once you leave the field and get back again to the harvester. It would be a non runner for the wagon to draw in maybe 6 or 7 loads over a long day where the harvester can chop it shorter to get more into the trailers.

Long draws are getting more common around here. I'd call a three mile each way a long draw for the wagon now there's lads going fifteen miles each way for a load of grass. Its hard for the wagons to compete against a harvester when its not a big deal for the harvester to call in extra trailers.
30 mile round trip is probably 90 minutes between filling and tipping and travel, a 20ft with a half decent harvester will need 12 trailers an hour so to keep it moving for the 90 minutes add an extra 14 plus the usual 4, €6 plus vat an acre each so add €84 plus vat to cover the haulage cost.

30 mile round trip is probably 90 minutes between filling and tipping and travel, a 20ft with a half decent harvester will need 12 trailers an hour so to keep it moving for the 90 minutes add an extra 14 plus the usual 4, €6 plus vat an acre each so add €84 plus vat to cover the haulage cost.

I would have taught a trailer would be more than €6 per ac

whats harvester charge per ac, av crop

16 drawing on a job near here last week, lads shouldn't be afraid to charge for it and some seemingly are, the example €84 should be charged otherwise lads will make a mockery of the contractor, they will pick up cheaper land way away from the yard in the knowledge that the contactor will foot the tab and they will pocket the saving, technically you should probably charge even more because the 4 original trailers in your price per acre have not been priced to be drawing silage that distance.

Getting 12 trailers together is another big ask. It would normally work out that 8 trailers would have to do so its taking longer. It works out at nearly double the rate of a normal cut of a mile draw. The farmer thinks its expensive but they have no issue giving a lad baling silage similar money with no draw.

Getting 12 trailers together is another big ask. It would normally work out that 8 trailers would have to do so its taking longer. It works out at nearly double the rate of a normal cut of a mile draw. The farmer thinks its expensive but they have no issue giving a lad baling silage similar money with no draw.
I'd work it out for the number of trailers to keep the harvester running irrespective of how many I could muster, If I had only 2 extra when I needed 6 extra for example I'd be adding at least 36 euro plus vat, if there's an issue I'd be pointing out the fact that the harvester and loader were waiting and still costing.

I'd work it out for the number of trailers to keep the harvester running irrespective of how many I could muster, If I had only 2 extra when I needed 6 extra for example I'd be adding at least 36 euro plus vat, if there's an issue I'd be pointing out the fact that the harvester and loader were waiting and still costing.
Hence why a contractor would only be doing long draws when they are quite. If you have no other work on, that harvester isn't costing money (except the driver) when sitting in the field with the engine knocked off, similar with the loader. Then it's down to the question of do you want to keep wheels turning or not, and what other type of business do you get through the year that are relatively profitable from that farmer and are you prepared to loose them if another contractor says yes to the job. Every contractor will view individual jobs differently

IMG-20200523-WA0001.jpg

Hence why a contractor would only be doing long draws when they are quite. If you have no other work on, that harvester isn't costing money (except the driver) when sitting in the field with the engine knocked off, similar with the loader. Then it's down to the question of do you want to keep wheels turning or not, and what other type of business do you get through the year that are relatively profitable from that farmer and are you prepared to loose them if another contractor says yes to the job. Every contractor will view individual jobs differently

A lot of the low cost dairy farmers who are milking 100s of cows and have no sheds usually have two or three fresh tractors that they have for playing with and would pull a couple of trailers .

Did Broughans look after you?
Yes but I'd to fight for it , same rubbish put back on . At least his tipping rams are holding tough so far. The first day we worked d trailer we copped the lower pin hanging loose in wan of d tipping rams, we had a good few loads tipped at this stage. That was a very serious mistake on der behalf . The wiring of d lights was also poor in d trailer , d junction box was pure rubbish and water didn't take long to leak in and corrode everything .

Put the pit in last Tuesday, May 19th, bit surprised with the lack of effluent coming from it as grass was very green, usually be seeing a good drop by now if it was going to come.

Back