Cheap Reliable Tractor

lough

What could you get for 10,000 euro including Vat

Make doesn't matter, the important things are spares are easy got for the engine, gearbox and front axle if they were needed.
It would need to be at least 90hp, either 4 or 6 cylinder, 4WD, simple mechanical gearbox, trailer brake, the only job it would be doing would be pulling a dump trailer of road so speed will not be an issue. It will be in one or two gears most of the time.

Is there any makes or models that get overlooked and are cheap because they are not trendy.

I'm afraid most out there for what you are looking for are rust buckets or clapped out.:cry:

Keeping an eye for something similar here but nothing jumping out yet.

I think for pulling a dump dump trailer, it would need to be 6 pot really, an untidy Ford 7810 might be close to budget, or an early 399

Or a JD3050 but based on stuff here might want to make sure you have a good mechanic who knows them :undecided:

Or a JD3050 but based on stuff here might want to make sure you have a good mechanic who knows them :undecided:
A 3050 would probably be the most capable 92 hp tractor he could buy on that budget, but I think the chances of big bills are a bit too strong

I think for pulling a dump dump trailer, it would need to be 6 pot really, an untidy Ford 7810 might be close to budget, or an early 399

I am using a 4 cylinder already on a 12 ton dump trailer and it handles it fine, it is all of road on rough ground so I get no speed up. At the minute I fill the trailer and then go and tip it and the digger is sitting doing nothing, the plan is I would fill the trailers and my father could dump them. I would be planning on selling the tractor again. I was thinking something like a Ford 8210 or a small TW but don't know if they would be in budget or not

I think I will stay away from them, there is no one around here that would know about them, it is only int he last few years that JD has made an appearance around here

I am using a 4 cylinder already on a 12 ton dump trailer and it handles it fine, it is all of road on rough ground so I get no speed up. At the minute I fill the trailer and then go and tip it and the digger is sitting doing nothing, the plan is I would fill the trailers and my father could dump them. I would be planning on selling the tractor again. I was thinking something like a Ford 8210 or a small TW but don't know if they would be in budget or not
They are good lumps of 6 cylinders though!

im thinking a 7810 ford but if its a dumper you gonna be pulling, weight be more of an issue so im inclined about an 8210 or tw but that will be out of budget unless you like a rust bucket. mf 3080 or 85 wouldnt be a bad shout either

Last edited:

If you were only using the tractor for that specific job would you consider buying something like a 6 ton dumper?

if its very short term, would it be cheaper to hire a tractor.

if its very short term, would it be cheaper to hire a tractor.
Hiring in a tractor and driver would make sense. Jumping off and on tractors/digger all day will wear thin too.
Buying a tractor to do a job and sell it on again is fine, once the tractor behaves itself, but thats a sizeable if.

If you were only using the tractor for that specific job would you consider buying something like a 6 ton dumper?

If its only use is for a dump trailer , and depending whether you have the trailer already . If you have to buy both , a 6 or , the real job , a 9 ton dumper , are better alternatives, especially if no road work and difficult terrain.
Not cheap to buy though , but built for the job .

Mf's 600 and 300 series have light enough backends and dumper work is tough work. You'd probably pick up a 3600 series mf with high hours for that budget but it is a case of buyer beware with those. A good one will go and go and pull a house down. A badly treated one will break you. Don't touch masseys 8100 series. Shite is the only suitable word there. Ford's TW range have a crash gearbox and aren't everyone's cup of tea and one that was dogged through the gears will be facing problems. They pulled like trains though and the hydraulics were quick enough on tipping for old tractors.
Would a nh8360 nearly be in budget?. There a super tractor and just keep going. I regularly drive 2 for a friend and both are well past 20k hours.

If a 955/1055 had trailer brakes that's a very good option.

You won't get a "good" TW for the money. Otherwise as suggested an 8210.

Try and stick with the main makes but Mike idea of a Zetor is good too!!

Another vote for the Crystal here. They hadn’t hydraulic trailer brakes from the factory but not a huge job to add them on afterwards. I’ve it done on my Ursus here and it gives great comfort doing road work to have them

Hiring in a tractor and driver would make sense. Jumping off and on tractors/digger all day will wear thin too.
Buying a tractor to do a job and sell it on again is fine, once the tractor behaves itself, but thats a sizeable if.

Hiring woukd make sense of the op was going full wack at the job...but if he plans on doing it over the course of a few weeks months then hiring will not work...it could be a job that gets 3 hrs an evening and a full Saturday to nothing for a week

You're looking for a donkey.

A zetor 12045 is what you need or whatever the ursus equivalent is.

Preferably with a straight pipe and the pump turned up :Thumbp2:

10k these days is the lower end of the 8210 market these days.

A zetor should leave a bit of the budget in reserve

Hiring woukd make sense of the op was going full wack at the job...but if he plans on doing it over the course of a few weeks months then hiring will not work...it could be a job that gets 3 hrs an evening and a full Saturday to nothing for a week

That is exactly how it's being done, evenings, Saturdays and holidays from work and hiring doesn't make sense that way.

You're looking for a donkey.

A zetor 12045 is what you need or whatever the ursus equivalent is.

Preferably with a straight pipe and the pump turned up :Thumbp2:

10k these days is the lower end of the 8210 market these days.

A zetor should leave a bit of the budget in reserve

A Zetor or Ursus like you say would probably be the best bet, It's basically a donkey I'm after

Back