Spring Barley - General Thread

I see a few patches of winter barley gone down after last night, nothing to get excited about but I think I might put something on the spring barley to help it stand.
That’s a bit concerning to see w barley going down in May and grains are only flowering and no weight whatsoever on the head. I noticed winter barley to get very tall over the last week or so considering how Short it was a few weeks back.

Two different fields of planet looking well after the rain. It wasn’t really enough but better than nothing.

365DE8EC-700D-4BD6-B607-BEFA96E7CF13.jpeg 98BCFD24-05EA-483F-9C42-525269B82E66.jpeg

Then a field of laureate. These are the few fields around the yard that are in barley. Didn’t get time to go across the road to look at the fields

7731CF00-CAE3-45B1-9E4D-F16506F233D3.jpeg

The rain didn't do much here. Photo doesn't show it but it's pretty yellow and is no height at all. I've little expectations for this as a result to be honest. It has to get wild oat spray still and will be delaying it for another while so as not to stress it more

20200523_182427.jpg

Even this is also yellow to a degree but a bit of height in it.20200523_191954.jpg

We need this wind to feck off! End of May and wearing a coat all day!!

The rain didn't do much here. Photo doesn't show it but it's pretty yellow and is no height at all. I've little expectations for this as a result to be honest. It has to get wild oat spray still and will be delaying it for another while so as not to stress it more

View attachment 78339

Even this is also yellow to a degree but a bit of height in it.View attachment 78340

It’s almost as if April & May have been swapped around.

How much rain did you get?

It’s almost as if April & May have been swapped around.

How much rain did you get?

About 10 to 12mm on Thursday night and another few mm last night but this block might have missed it. Top is Gangway bottom is Planet.

I've Gangway on stony ground too and it has filtered out right well in the last few days, I'd be reasonably happy with it but kept away from the worst parts of the field!!!

View attachment 78339

Even this is also yellow to a degree but a bit of height in it.View attachment 78340

Have a field similar here and gave it 5kg of combi top about a week ago and it has transformed the colour anyway, I didn't get to walk through it so I don't know if it bulked up much but certainly looks a lot better even before the rain.

Would Ce Ce Ce be any use to put in with first fungicide to shorten it? Think it might not be a hard on the crop as Medax Max and it’s too early for Terpal.

View attachment 78431 View attachment 78432 View attachment 78433 View attachment 78434
the wind has the shite knocked out of crops, this crop hasn’t been sprayed with anything in 3 weeks
I’ve seen plenty of that too. Axial hasn’t helped but it’s in crops that haven’t been sprayed as you say.

Spring & winter Wheat also but not as bad on oats I think.

The last time I saw this happen was 2015 I think, new leaves on Beech & Brambles we’re burnt by wind in May also. Spring barley was well established the same year.
I may not have the year correct but there were record yields after.

It's the same up here.
Wrong thread l know, but would the wind have had any adverse effects on the winter barley pollination, ie blow/knock the flowering off?
Dunno if that's a stupid question!

It's the same up here.
Wrong thread l know, but would the wind have had any adverse effects on the winter barley pollination, ie blow/knock the flowering off?
Dunno if that's a stupid question!
As Gone says, frost wouldn’t be good news.

On the subject of wind, I don’t think it’s a big issue in cereals as I think they will often have pollinated themselves before the anthers (which we call the flowers but are actually just the male part with the pollen) emerge.

I’m open to correction but this is my understanding.

Back