Covid 19

yea right!
Look at what happened in Sweden. They saw no need for a lockdown and it was going great until the last few weeks. 10.5% of people that contracted covid 19 there died with it and that's not even counting the elderly people that died in nursing facilities. With our lockdown, our death rate was 5.5% and that if we didn't include the people that died in the nursing homes, it would be 2.25%.

Are you saying that we should just let people die? To me, one life saved is enough to justify it, never mind the thousands of lives that were saved as a result of what we did in comparison to countries that didn't take the same approach.

Agree with most of what you're saying but I can't agree with that principle, if we applied that logic then we should all be in isolation bubbles all the time. public health has to balance the needs of the country with the ability to protect the country.

People die of diseases all the time that we don't pull out all the stops to prevent. But this was a disease that was spreading at a rate the would have overwhelmed our health service in a matter of weeks and the death toll would have been significantly higher. I think the irish lockdown was the right thing to do at the right time and I think the rollback approach is pretty proportionate, maybe bordering a little too far on the conservative side given the extent to which our health service has been bolstered.

When covid landed we had to lockdown or it would have destroyed us, but now that we have it under control we have to learn to live with it for the forseeable future.

The economic impact on Sweden has been just as bad as elsewhere, but with a much higher death toll, so I'm not sure what the point of it all was. Maybe it will pay dividends with herd immunity long term but it seems an awful gamble to have taken with people.

I'll just leave this here. The only reason we're not up as high as UK levels is because 11.7% of our population are aged over 65 compared to 18% in the UK. The same figure for Sweden is 20.26%. The vast majority of people who died here were very elderly and in care settings and who also had 2 or more other things trying to kill them. Those are the people who needed to be isolated, maybe in all the empty hospitals, shutting down the healthy population was an exercise in autocracy and has closed many small businesses forever. Are we going to continue like this forever? The 17/18 flu which was particularly bad killed over 1.5 million worldwide, as of today this thing has killed 496,000. Does this justify leaving people die alone in fear and without their families? Cancelling routine cancer screening? Taking away peoples ability to make a living and making them dependent on the state?

Also note that our figures are the same as the US. Something RTE neglect to mention. We are eighth in the world, simply due to inaction. Remember that when you hear Leo is playing a blinder. Also case numbers are only as good as the number of tests done.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104709/coronavirus-deaths-worldwide-per-million-inhabitants/

Covid pandemic Unemployment Payment

Someone asked about farmers getting this payment. If your income is down then there is no reason not to apply. There are new assessment rules for it however:

From 29 June 2020, the rate of the COVID-19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment will be based on an employee’s average gross weekly earnings.

The DEASP will examine earnings in two separate periods – January to December 2019 and January to February 2020 - and the higher figure will be used. For people who were self-employed, their average weekly income in 2018 will be used to decide their rate of payment. Claimants do not need to contact the DEASP about their earnings - the DEASP has access to this information from Revenue. New rates will be paid on Tuesday, 7 July 2020.

SCAM WARNING

Warning about scam text messages
17 June
The Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection has become aware that some members of the public have received text messages on their mobile phones from an unknown number telling them that they are entitled to the COVID-19 payment and to click on a link provided which is socialwelfareireland. When the person clicks on the link, they are then asked to provide their Bank Account details.

The Department wishes to advise customers and the public that this text message is a scam and the link has nothing to do with the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection. Please do not click on the link or reply to the text.

Anyone who thinks they provided personal information in response to these fraudulent text messages should contact their bank immediately.

I'll just leave this here. The only reason we're not up as high as UK levels is because 11.7% of our population are aged over 65 compared to 18% in the UK. The same figure for Sweden is 20.26%. The vast majority of people who died here were very elderly and in care settings and who also had 2 or more other things trying to kill them. Those are the people who needed to be isolated, maybe in all the empty hospitals, shutting down the healthy population was an exercise in autocracy and has closed many small businesses forever. Are we going to continue like this forever? The 17/18 flu which was particularly bad killed over 1.5 million worldwide, as of today this thing has killed 496,000. Does this justify leaving people die alone in fear and without their families? Cancelling routine cancer screening? Taking away peoples ability to make a living and making them dependent on the state?

Also note that our figures are the same as the US. Something RTE neglect to mention. We are eighth in the world, simply due to inaction. Remember that when you hear Leo is playing a blinder. Also case numbers are only as good as the number of tests done.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104709/coronavirus-deaths-worldwide-per-million-inhabitants/
On the flip side of the theres some degree of negation when it comes to the flu ie warmer weather vaccines etc but the corvid seems a lot easier to spread and lock downs across the world is probably the only thing that kept the figures in some sort of check
A bit of reading but gives an idea of the amount of extra people that died over the average https://www.bbc.com/news/world-53073046

iPhones updated during the week with Covid tracking software. Androids were updated also I believe.

Just checked my phone and it’s there. Default setting appears to be set to “off”
0B0C04E0-A55F-4D5F-9762-527D3E7FDD5B.png

They tell us now they wont be any nationwide lockdown only regional if the case maybe going forward! Why then wont they just let people get on with it if thats the case, id prefer to have a major breakdown now if thats whats going to happen rather than heading into the winter months and it happining then,,,,
Would you whist up and don't be so logical. Believe the experts.

The problem with this is the most likely place for it to spread is Dublin, as that's were most of the big hospitals are located and where they will take sick people and there will be more people interacting with tourists etc, difficult to lock down Dublin considering how much of the rest of the country is dependent on it.

The problem with this is the most likely place for it to spread is Dublin, as that's were most of the big hospitals are located and where they will take sick people and there will be more people interacting with tourists etc, difficult to lock down Dublin considering how much of the rest of the country is dependent on it.
I am not a racist but a lot of foreigners particularly the Brazilians in Dublin are living in crowded conditions and their culture does not seem to suit keeping their distance.
From the beginning I said this was like AIDS in Africa where the hotspots were around medical facilities. Over 9K cases in health care workers was not to do with lack of PPE but to do with the same lack of professionalism that has our level of MRSA one of the worst in the world. Patients and staff were moved spreading Covid and numerous other basic errors combined with a general lack of hygiene.
Temple bar will never recover and if Dublin sank beneath the waves Ireland would be a better place. All that is left in Dublin city center is Junkies and empty pubs .
Do Ya know what I Mean.

I am not a racist but a lot of foreigners particularly the Brazilians in Dublin are living in crowded conditions and their culture does not seem to suit keeping their distance.
From the beginning I said this was like AIDS in Africa where the hotspots were around medical facilities. Over 9K cases in health care workers was not to do with lack of PPE but to do with the same lack of professionalism that has our level of MRSA one of the worst in the world. Patients and staff were moved spreading Covid and numerous other basic errors combined with a general lack of hygiene.
Temple bar will never recover and if Dublin sank beneath the waves Ireland would be a better place. All that is left in Dublin city center is Junkies and empty pubs .
Do Ya know what I Mean.

Ah Jaysus Bog Man, I didn't have you down as a Dub :laugh:

My feckin Aunt let herself in our house and played on the piano while we were milking this morn:curse: ffs I’m going get a sign for the door.

Maybe some of ye were wondering what this fool was on the forum during the day for the past 2 days. Monday evening and Tuesday I had a headache and a bit of a temperature and was feeling a wee bit unwell so Tuesday evening I decided that just in case it was the virus I best arrange a test and stay home. The test was yesterday and consisted of a swab of the mouth and the rear of a nostril which was unpleasant but not painful. It has been an anxious wait but got the result there a few minutes ago and it's negative, thankfully.
Some people will have different views but my view is t err on the side of caution and out of consideration to others I took the course I did, ever since the pandemic came to light I have as much afraid of being a conductor as I have of being ill with it.
I would say to anyone that has symptoms similar to the Covid ones is isolate and get a test, better safe than sorry.

Jumped the gun on Monday's freedoms and went to dungarvan tonight for a swim.

Mouldy evening for it but still nice to have a quick plunge in the sea

Back