New tractors versus classics

I keep saying that is as nice a 4600 as you would see anywhere, a gorgeous tractor and that 7610 Is In a similar bracket too with The AP cab, a rare find now In clean condition.

A lovely looking tractor, The hum from One alone Is pure heaven. You'll be testing her out there With The (new to You?) Drill!!
Are you sure which side of the debate you come down on?????????????????????????????

On a related point, to this thread, when does old become too old?

If we all kept old yokes we'd be still using grey Fergies or Ford 3600's..:blushing:

Well the 265 here is 35 years old and here from new. Everything is working perfectly but the problem is that the majority of the machinery has outgrown her. Her semi retirement started when I upgraded the keenan feeder from a 80 without knives to a 100 with knives. That job now is left to the 399. Now the 265 just mainly works the topper and some spraying.

My arse Is sore from sitting On The fence........

The 4600 has been on the farm since 1999. It arrived in Ireland in 1987. Before we got it was owned by a elderly farmer who used it as his car, until he forgot to put on the handbrake. It was written off by the insurance co as the cab was strained.

We replaced the strained cab with one off an exporter, but had to move across a lot of the panels as the replacement cab was rotten.

I did it up again in 2017 as by then the front windscreen was getting porous. It has about 7k hrs up.

The 7610 only came last year, but it has only one owner from new and about 4k hrs.It was bought new from henesseys in kilfinane and lived 5 miles from there. It has never been painted, but I must give the roof and wings some attention.

The 7610 and 4600 are practically the same size. The 7610 is marginally lower, but longer and wider, but there is nothing in it really. There is no comparison in power, so I think overall the 7610 wins.

Well the 265 here is 35 years old and here from new. Everything is working perfectly but the problem is that the majority of the machinery has outgrown her. Her semi retirement started when I upgraded the keenan feeder from a 80 without knives to a 100 with knives. That job now is left to the 399. Now the 265 just mainly works the topper and some spraying.

Very valid point there, I can see that happening here as well whereas take your 399 , it is a very useable tractor and probably even more so if it was 4wd.

High hours, it was on a hedge cutter working for the NRA, so the work really didn't affect any of the components that I will be using.
What model is she? Please forgive me if it’s been discussed already. I dip in and out of threads at this time of the year.

well wear ger:Thumbp2: ,i think i have seen that hedge cutting crew on the m9:scared: ,those 20s are the biz, drove one of troys in the spring and was very impressed:wub:

Thats a nice tractor @gone.

As for whats better old or new it depends i suppose really. A new tractor will have a warranty and probably a service agreement so all to the good if something gose wrong, older tractor easier to fix but declining spares avaliblity past a certian time and guaranteed more down time. An older tractor will be more fuel efficent, newer tractors run a rich air to fuel ratio to bring down the temperature of the combustion chamber, this is achieved by injecting more fuel, this is to help meet NOX emissions regulations. An older tractor will suffer on modern diesel as it has a greatly reduced sulphur content to the point of almost nil. Sulphur use to act as a lubricant for the fuel injection system parts. Modern tractors have been designed to combat this by using more engine oil than older tractors.

Newer tractors do have more electronics and sensors, and ancillary emission control systems to go wrong and they all can be expensive to repair or more often just replace components as parts are deliberately designed now so that you cannot service or fix them.

Although i have never owned or even driven a tractor, have been in a few cabs with mates, for a beef cattle setup id go with a new general duties tractor with loader something along the lines of a Valtra A series mid size 100hp variant i think a base spec one comes in at somewhere close to £55 grand and a reasonably high spec one comes in around £75 grand, so if you optioned carefully then you could probably get a good one without to many frills but not bare bones for £65 grand or there abouts, would use the remaining of the 100k budget to buy a larger tractor from the early 2000/late 1990s judging by what constitutes a good period for tractors on here. It would be layed up most of the time and would come out for the sillage season and occasional heavy work, the likes of one of the larger JD 6010 series or something of a similar size probably a bit over the 100k buget by this point.

Last edited:
It may have been said previously but..

Everything I own would be considered "classic" or probably damn near vintage. I do all maintenance and repairs and there is always something.

If I could afford it, all would be replaced by a fleet of new/modern. No questions asked. The older I get, the newer I would like my machinery to be. One probably compensates for the other.

Back