What are you up to in the workshop?

Sounds like a real trial.

Gave you a heads up by PM.

I just wonder are there a big difference in the power harrow versions that I showed you and your 3003?? :confused1:

looks like that frame been made by ancroft tractors who we been in touch with , we're gradualy getting there , just noticed the web address on the pic :blushing:

ours is the hr 3004 which is the heavy duty 1 but it looks just like a newer version if the 1 in the pic , the lighter version looks very similar however.
looks like that 1 the headstock has been turned

the saga continues :001_huh:
after speaking to the man a letham shank farm ( it was his ph in nash's pic) he's been pushing his kuhn ph for 4 years , been pushing the 1 before it for 20 years , he new the shaft coming out the back was soft and was going to get an engineer to make him a harder 1 but they decided just to run it till it broke then make a new 1 . so thats 4 years its worked no problem so were thinking thats fine we will just do the same and get a pto shaft with a back to front clutch on it . he then got talking to a claas dealer who put him on to some bloke down south that reconditioned kuhn harrow , so he phones him to see if he's got a second hand pto shaft , the conversation went something like " im not going to argue with you but dont do it , the shaft not near strong enough , ive seen the big made shaft break and it makes a mess of the gearbox :scared: , turn the gearbox round , which puts the shaft of center but it should work ok , just move 6 studs and it turns not as the old type but it still works . then get a new casing for clutch pack with allows it to work the other way "

well we had a think about it and the man at lethan shanks has a ph and drill on the back as well as the ph on the front of his 6080 so its only getting less than half the power out of the tractor so that could be why the shaft has never broken . so we turned the gearbox , but we had to take the headstock of to do it and then because the gearbox is of center the headstock wouldnt fit back on so we had to put it 6inch of center to :001_unsure: but that at least keeps the shaft a bit straighter . waiting for the bit for the cluch and the bit of lemon tube we had for the pto barely long enough so were going to get another bit and get all the gaurds back on . whole thing 6 inch to 1 side so a bit of level when lifted but ok when working , the harrow on the back slightly wider but if it works ok we will either of set it 6 inch as well or alter the headstock . we changed all the tynes round about which was easy done .
we wont be able to stick it on the back of a tractor now but we recon 2 men will be able to turn it back in about hour n half :thumbup1:

what else could possibly go wrong :001_unsure::001_unsure::001_unsure::001_unsure:

Attachments

• Photo021 [800x600].jpg
    Photo021 [800x600].jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 111
  • Photo003 [800x600].jpg
    Photo003 [800x600].jpg
    81 KB · Views: 110
  • Photo005 [800x600].jpg
    Photo005 [800x600].jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 102
Will have to have a look but a mate of mine run's a 3 meter Kuhn power harrow on the front & the drive shaft & head stock are all in line no off set at all. On our Rabe you can run the power harrow from the shaft at the back of the gear box as they are made to fit the front or the back & all so have more rotors per meter than a Kuhn & there for make a better job & are better made as well.

think its a newer design gearbox on the kuhn the older 1 might have been in line . the kuhn was recommended as 1 of the toughest on the market , is rabe not out the game now ? the only 1 we saw advertised to go on the front was a lightweight amazon , we had no idea we were going to run into these problems , it makes sense that you might want to put a ph on the front you would think they would make the the gearboxes so you could do it after all theres shft coming out the back

think its a newer design gearbox on the kuhn the older 1 might have been in line . the kuhn was recommended as 1 of the toughest on the market , is rabe not out the game now ? the only 1 we saw advertised to go on the front was a lightweight amazon , we had no idea we were going to run into these problems , it makes sense that you might want to put a ph on the front you would think they would make the the gearboxes so you could do it after all theres shft coming out the back
basically, all that hassle over the fact that kuhn didnt make the rear shaft as heavy as the front?
or was the direction of the pto an issue as well even if the shaft was hd?

Rabe still make power harrows etc

Aiming for a cultivator to mount on the front or rear with this...packer has seen better days, as I have already patched a hole on it...was bought s/h after the Kuhn wore out it's crumbler...if it wants to play games I'll make a crumbler for it.

Last edited:
Aiming for a cultivator to mount on the front or rear with this...packer has seen better days, as I have already patched a hole on it...was bought s/h after the Kuhn wore out it's crumbler...if it wants to play games I'll make a crumbler for it.
tines now i guess, and a frame, it looks good n strong so far neway.:thumbup1:

yesterday i was at this, moving the axles and drilling awkward holes.
and cutting out fairly important looking bits:whistling:

and found a great job for the horses, they were well worth makin, ive found quite a few jobs for them so far, very handy.

Attachments

• DSCF8958.jpg
    DSCF8958.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 154
  • DSCF8959.jpg
    DSCF8959.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 147
  • DSCF8963.jpg
    DSCF8963.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 138
yesterday i was at this, moving the axles and drilling awkward holes.
and cutting out fairly important looking bits:whistling:

and found a great job for the horses, they were well worth makin, ive found quite a few jobs for them so far, very handy.
is that the off balenced trailer??

is that the off balenced trailer??
yep.
waiting on the xtra axle at the mo, its sitting in the uk somewhere.

hope it solves the problem, i think it will go a long way towards it neway.
didnt realise it was as heavy til i took it for a spin the other day, at a guess it weighs 2.5+ tonne.
an extra axle will help it immensely.

just picking your brain, got a trailer coming up myself soon, are you a fan of the rubber torsion beam axles or traditional spring and solid axle?

just picking your brain, got a trailer coming up myself soon, are you a fan of the rubber torsion beam axles or traditional spring and solid axle?
spring and solid axle all the way imo, never liked the torsion axle for some reason.

yep.
waiting on the xtra axle at the mo, its sitting in the uk somewhere.

hope it solves the problem, i think it will go a long way towards it neway.
didnt realise it was as heavy til i took it for a spin the other day, at a guess it weighs 2.5+ tonne.
an extra axle will help it immensely.
did you weigh the drawbar for nose weight??

did you weigh the drawbar for nose weight??
i didnt weigh it, i just went off rule of thumb and experience, as well as the fact the jack was easily wound up.
not very technical mind...

there is two items in the trailer that is about 800kgs a piece along with two more units that would weigh 3-400kg's im guessing.
its biggest problem is/was (hopefully) that one of the units is up the front and one is at the back, id say that alone was giving it the power to sway.
the 3rd axle should steady it up.
from center i have the middle axle about 225mm behind that and each axle spaced at 735mm centre to centre.

i didnt weigh it, i just went off rule of thumb and experience, as well as the fact the jack was easily wound up.
not very technical mind...

there is two items in the trailer that is about 800kgs a piece along with two more units that would weigh 3-400kg's im guessing.
its biggest problem is/was (hopefully) that one of the units is up the front and one is at the back, id say that alone was giving it the power to sway.
the 3rd axle should steady it up.
from center i have the middle axle about 225mm behind that and each axle spaced at 735mm centre to centre.
wouldnt help much:001_unsure:

did you get an average height for the towing vehcils

wouldnt help much:001_unsure:

did you get an average height for the towing vehcils
what wouldnt help much?

no avg height, thats an awkward one.
she sits level enuf to be fair, its just the weight that left her that bit front heavy.
i couldnt have the middle axle in the centre, i dont think she would sit right, or pull right for that matter.
the height of the hitch cant be altered, well not without going mad and im not prepared to do that, there isnt much room up front to be at it neway.

what wouldnt help much?

no avg height, thats an awkward one.
she sits level enuf to be fair, its just the weight that left her that bit front heavy.
i couldnt have the middle axle in the centre, i dont think she would sit right, or pull right for that matter.
the height of the hitch cant be altered, well not without going mad and im not prepared to do that, there isnt much room up front to be at it neway.
the weight being like that

supprising how much the height could affect it

the weight being like that

supprising how much the height could affect it
i know what you mean.

i know that too, but for now i may go with this plan, at least it will help the weight problem.
time will tell i guess.
its no lower or higher than any of my trailers tbf.

could the trailer be loaded a different way??
no, everything is bolted down with fixtures round it, and there to stay, no room either to change things as there is a door at the back.
the unit at the back is on one side too...
no man must of looked under the chassis to see what the weight was sitting on either, 100x20 timber... altho, its just about over the chassis rail.

I use a height adjustable hitch on my van, mighty bit of kit even though there is a bit of play....will try and dig up photos..

Back