Wellingtons

muckymanor

This crops up on here often. I'm wondering what's the brand of choice.

I've had several pairs of the dunlop purofort. The last ones lasted no more than 6 weeks before they cracked.
I'v tried the bekina steplite and I wore them for about a week and found them very uncomfortable. I still wear them an odd time, but only if I'm stuck and never for more than an hour.
The last pair were Demar. A fabulously comfortable pair of wellingtons. But after 2 months, the sold has worn away so much that thorns and pebbles come through it as I walk along.

Can anyone recommend a good pair? Wellingtons are hard to find for me. I have wide feet and they have to be 12 1/2 or EU47.

Skellerup quatro
Mine usually do a year. This last pair had an issue with the internal stitching. And fair play the man is trying to sort it for me.
I go for the insulated non safety. Much lighter to wear. And my feet are never cold. The insoles on them are good quality too.

Like you I tried all kinds!

Last edited:
Have bekina thermolite here and find them great.. but only ever had cheap wellies here before.. have them about 6 months and they seem to be wearing well..

Have bekina thermolite here and find them great.. but only ever had cheap wellies here before.. have them about 6 months and they seem to be wearing well..
I really hate the bekina's. Maybe it's the shape of my foot that makes them uncomfortable. I also find that the soles are a magnet for dirt. The soles are grippy, but as a result they hold a lot of muck and this makes them heavy. As I said, it's probably just my feet.

I recently bought a pair of Dunlops. The last pair were 5 or 6 years old before they cracked so I stick with the same brand. Nearly 90 euro though so not a cheep wellie. I have to say I wouldn't have a pair that aren't steel toe. I don't know how many times I've been saved bruised or broken toes with the steel toe ones.

I really hate the bekina's. Maybe it's the shape of my foot that makes them uncomfortable. I also find that the soles are a magnet for dirt. The soles are grippy, but as a result they hold a lot of muck and this makes them heavy. As I said, it's probably just my feet.

You are not the only one who hates Bekina! And they are extremely uncomfortable if you suffer from corns or chilblains.

Baudou here and they are the only Welly both my father and I can wear right down.

http://www.countryproducts.ie/footware/wellington-s-size-11-baudou-93-94-95-detail.html

Don't seem to be available in 12's though.

Goes to show everyone is different, I got a pair of Bekina steplites at the back end of last year and find them very comfortable. In saying that I wouldn't wear wellingtons very often, the last pair I had were a pair of cheapish Dunlops and they could be ten or twelve years old and still have use left in them.

Similar to tc I'd rate the bekinas personally! Had a pair which I'd got good wear from but they cracked where all my boots go at the point where they fold up front beside your toe, went from then back to administrator (crap), and just recently back into bekinas and the first day wearing the bekinas again I could feel the comfort in the knees and back in comparison to the others. I did get good wear out of a set of Dunlop puroforts but found the bekina a bit wider

really like bekinas, warm and comfy but im on my 3rd pair and every one the sole has cracked. the last pair was a new design and i think they did a year, suppose £45 a year in wellies is ok but they were not even worn on the sole and it was all right hand ones that went so i cant even make a pair out of the 3!

Since the big man is getting close I thought I’d try a pair of these Skellerup Wellingtons.
I’ve used purofort plus for the last few years. Have non safety at the minute as I prefer a light wellington but I think I should really be going for the safety.
I don’t think I’ll go for insulation as it’s generally not an issue for me.

My question is are the Skellerup safety, non insulated particularly heavy?
How would they compare to the purofort?

Skellerups are not the Wellington for you if you like a light welly, have a pair of Quattros and l gave up on them, it’s like you spent a day dragging your feet through a crop of silage.
Ideal for standing in the parlour brutal for walking long distances in my experience

Skellerups are not the Wellington for you if you like a light welly, have a pair of Quattros and l gave up on them, it’s like you spent a day dragging your feet through a crop of silage.
Ideal for standing in the parlour brutal for walking long distances in my experience
Makes sense. What did you go for instead?

Currently in dunlop puroforts, they are going into their 4th year. I like them as they are light. Bought a set of baudou as a replacement but they are heavy and uncomfortable so strictly in the emergency pile.

Have the bekinas improved in terms of splitting soles?

Currently in dunlop puroforts, they are going into their 4th year. I like them as they are light. Bought a set of baudou as a replacement but they are heavy and uncomfortable so strictly in the emergency pile.

That must be a record for puroforts. A year is the very most i ever got out of a set. They are comfortable though.

That must be a record for puroforts. A year is the very most i ever got out of a set. They are comfortable though.
I thought the same. They are worn pretty regulary but I feel I may be on borrowed time with them now :sweatdrop:

I’m in puroforts full time atm but was between them and a pair of techno until I put a fork into the edge of the techno ones. Both were steel toe but I actually preferred the techno ones to the puroforts. For a cheaper boot I thought them pretty decent anyway and lasted me well, I’d Bekina before them and liked them alright but didn’t think anything special

Puroforts here all the time, winter use mostly but find them comfortable and get 3-4 years out of a pair.

Baudous heavy??!!! They are the lightest out there.

Tried Bekinas before, could not stand them them too heavy and a clumsy sole.

I’m in puroforts full time atm but was between them and a pair of techno until I put a fork into the edge of the techno ones. Both were steel toe but I actually preferred the techno ones to the puroforts. For a cheaper boot I thought them pretty decent anyway and lasted me well, I’d Bekina before them and liked them alright but didn’t think anything special

had a pair of technos about 2 years ago, il give them the benefit of the doubt that they were part of a bad batch, didn't get 6 weeks ,yes 6 weeks out of them, the soles all split away.brought them back to the farm store and a lad that worked there said there was alot of complaints, normally get the guts of a year out of bekinas or purofort with everyday wearing unless they get a cut or that,

had a pair of technos about 2 years ago, il give them the benefit of the doubt that they were part of a bad batch, didn't get 6 weeks ,yes 6 weeks out of them, the soles all split away.brought them back to the farm store and a lad that worked there said there was alot of complaints, normally get the guts of a year out of bekinas or purofort with everyday wearing unless they get a cut or that,
Wouldn’t be surprised if it was a batch. Think I had 2 sets but could have been just the one between nov 20 and recently was between them and puroforts for some of it but more time in the techno. Had a set of portwest dealer boots lasted 6 weeks here and fell apart

I've come to the conclusion that no wellies will do the same thing for two people.

Been wearing Quatros for years, never had many issues, just wear them out.
A lad was telling me today how his quatros would split round the heals within months!
Another got splits where the sides of the foot bend!

Baudous heavy??!!! They are the lightest out there.

Tried Bekinas before, could not stand them them too heavy and a clumsy sole.
I went and weighed them, as they have always felt heavier. Bauduo are 200g heavier per boot compared with Dunlop purofort or 400g heavier per pair.

Attachments

• IMG_0894.jpeg
    IMG_0894.jpeg
    100.8 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0893.jpeg
    IMG_0893.jpeg
    96.6 KB · Views: 31
Have a pair of these for the last 12 months. They have been very comfortable. Have found other wellington boot soles to gather and carry a lot of dirt and if you are in clay, the wellingtons get very heavy. But there is a better sole on these.

Back