Trailers

It would make a perfect sig though.:D

'Can't expect a [STRIKE]dump[/STRIKE] trailer for that money to be mint.' - Nashmach

I like the door catch on that one, same idea as a cattle wagon i think is it? Would be better for muck work, as the normal 'underneath' style catch ends up in the muck every time.

But would it be as strong? only holds both ends, not the middle???

Is that door catch arrangement a weakness or a bonus? really like the idea of no cow sh#t on the handles!!

Is that door catch arrangement a weakness or a bonus? really like the idea of no cow sh#t on the handles!!

A 20 foot silage trailer would have no more holding the tail board. On that size of trailer i doubt it would be under a huge amount of pressure even with a load grain. If I was making it the bar would be a bit more substantial though as it is id say youd be lucky if thats inch steel. Id have it caught a few more times across the width of the tailboard aswell!

TBH If I was ordering a new trailer I would got for a full hydraulic raising taliboard:thumbup2:
Got no time to bugger about with those handles on every load:thumbdown: makes a mess of your tractor cab too:thumbdown: steering wheel and everything covered in shit:crying:

would you put that kind of catch, although more substantial on a 10t trailer prone to being over loaded with muck??

hydraulic tail gates are good, but not in the market for a new one, a possible modification though...

Isn't that very similar to the way the ruscon's were done also on the tandem axles for the tailboard?

Not a bad price for what it is really but I'm sure ss and vat would add quite a bit to it.

A 10t is about 14ft? It would be pushing it but you could leave the old catch on it, if its used to move grain or meal. It doesnt take much to hold muck its having a load of grain tipped and expecting the tailboard to hold it while you leave it out of a 10''X10'' chute where you might have a problem.
I doubt its that overloaded by some standards it still has to pass out under the tailboard. Anyway overload them too much your only shooting yourself in the foot with the load sticking.

wet stuff weighs on the tailboard!!! I only put the ring on one arm once, the door burst open, to be fair you could see where there was weakness in the steel from when the bar was bent to shape but it still sheared a fair bit of steel!!

and it was on a rough track....... as I was passing next doors driveway!!

Door catch like that will be fine, had 1 here & when it needed a new door it got the same again.

Was drawing dung from a neighbour, we were loading as well, & he asked if I would leave the trailer & he would empty some calf pens into it over a few days....I said ok but don't fill it above the sides....

Few days later brother went to lift it & he had a mountain of stuff on it, if he'd of rang me I'd of met him in the field with the Merlo & pushed a bit off over the side...but no, he tipped it & bent the door only about a month after I'd made it..was not amused...

After I'd straightened it as best I could, it is now a semi auto door...with a load of grain can now reverse into shed & drop the bar, then reverse on back to pile & door won't open till trailer starts to tip, saves standing in grain & filling boots....bar is more to the middle on mine, that 1 in the pic is to the side so can be opened standing to the side.

The old door, used it for dung for a year or 2 after...past it's best :whistling:

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 83
On the Hook Lift the bodies are built to Chem standard and the tail boards are burst proof because they have to be pulled up when they are full . It is a clever arrangement I will post a picture sometime.

Door catch like that will be fine, had 1 here & when it needed a new door it got the same again.

Was drawing dung from a neighbour, we were loading as well, & he asked if I would leave the trailer & he would empty some calf pens into it over a few days....I said ok but don't fill it above the sides....

Few days later brother went to lift it & he had a mountain of stuff on it, if he'd of rang me I'd of met him in the field with the Merlo & pushed a bit off over the side...but no, he tipped it & bent the door only about a month after I'd made it..was not amused...

After I'd straightened it as best I could, it is now a semi auto door...with a load of grain can now reverse into shed & drop the bar, then reverse on back to pile & door won't open till trailer starts to tip, saves standing in grain & filling boots....bar is more to the middle on mine, that 1 in the pic is to the side so can be opened standing to the side.

The old door, used it for dung for a year or 2 after...past it's best :whistling:

Like the idea of the board not opening until she tips, handier than having to back over a lump of muck that's dropped out.

Uncle had an old fraser trailer, had a hard time pulling one of the pins holding the bar, when he got it the weight of slurry like stuff in it threw the door and he ended up half under the muck, he was very lucky, could easily have drowned under the tidal wave!! He now has a hydraulic door!!

lesson there is be wary of standing too near the middle to open a door!

Like the idea of the board not opening until she tips, handier than having to back over a lump of muck that's dropped out.

Uncle had an old fraser trailer, had a hard time pulling one of the pins holding the bar, when he got it the weight of slurry like stuff in it threw the door and he ended up half under the muck, he was very lucky, could easily have drowned under the tidal wave!! He now has a hydraulic door!!

lesson there is be wary of standing too near the middle to open a door!

Something similar happen myself, we were getting a delivery of beet. The trailer delivering it had auto latches and the manual catches along the bottom I opened the catch and was walking away next thing there was as you put it a "tidal wave" of beet! Whatever way I jumped clear I missed the worst of it but thank god I was after getting clear of the worst of it :sweatdrop:

I saw an interesting set up on a dooley trailer before that allowed tail board to swing up clear of a load it was only 8" or so looked like a clever set up? I didnt get an actual photo, but as they say a picture speaks a thousand words and god knows I dont have the patience to explain things! So I had a go at reproducing it :whistling:

Attachments

• tail board.JPG
    tail board.JPG
    12.5 KB · Views: 63
Something similar happen myself, we were getting a delivery of beet. The trailer delivering it had auto latches and the manual catches along the bottom I opened the catch and was walking away next thing there was as you put it a "tidal wave" of beet! Whatever way I jumped clear I missed the worst of it but thank god I was after getting clear of the worst of it :sweatdrop:

I saw an interesting set up on a dooley trailer before that allowed tail board to swing up clear of a load it was only 8" or so looked like a clever set up? I didnt get an actual photo, but as they say a picture speaks a thousand words and god knows I dont have the patience to explain things! So I had a go at reproducing it :whistling:

Thats a great idea that dooley have on the rear door , it makes the door close back in tight without having to hit the brakes , it works very well.

I used the same type arrangement when making a new silage back door for one of the trailers here and find it works well enabling it to close as James says without the brakes.

Probably okay for silage but after a few years drawing grain would it not be more susceptible to bending on the angle?

Back