What are you up to in the workshop?

I was thinking a roller bed for a saw...

With those bearings you could make a bloody field roller for a small tractor with them!!!

That would be a fairly cool piece of kit for a young un behind a peddle tractor!!

A decent sized bearing in her anyway, what gas did ye use, propane? Just going by the bottle.

Not many hours on the cat engine, I think their newer stuff is a bit softer than the older stuff.

Just ordinary butane, doesn't take high temperature to get them off, just there's a big area that needs heating.
The newer CAT engines aren't a patch on the old ones, for reliability or sheer grunt. Probably lighter on fuel though.

I wonder could you achieve sufficient shrinkage with dry ice? a damm site safer to handle than nitrogen.

make a box around the shaft from a few sheets of cavity wall insulation and keep filling with dry ice for an hour or two.

put a trench plate on legs over a small bonfire with the new bearing on top.

cross everything a go for it.

(or maybe paying 2 grand to the nitrogen man wouldnt be such a bad idea if the job is insured :))

Mighty craic the auld nitrogen it has to be said.

Not sure about that Johnboy, although the last thing we want is to get the outer race halfway into position and then get it jammed:D

Any suggested used for the rollers out of the bearing? Something sculptural?

I was thinking a roller bed for a saw...

Was thinking the same.

With those bearings you could make a bloody field roller for a small tractor with them!!!

That would be a fairly cool piece of kit for a young un behind a peddle tractor!!

The rollers are slightly conical though. There are centre's on each side of the rollers, maybe could be turned down parallel for a pin or something.

Just ordinary butane, doesn't take high temperature to get them off, just there's a big area that needs heating.
The newer CAT engines aren't a patch on the old ones, for reliability or sheer grunt. Probably lighter on fuel though.

Thought so by the look of the bottle, must get a torch, be handy to have. I suppose when you make it too good you don't get as much money...

The rollers are slightly conical though. There are centre's on each side of the rollers, maybe could be turned down parallel for a pin or something.

They could be turned down alright, although I'd imagine it's hard enough material. Still I'd give it a shot :thumbup:

Gonna be expensive by the time it's done, have to get liquid nitrogen to fit the new tapered collar in when it arrives, that'll be fun:001_smile:
or heat the race. :001_unsure:
Any suggested used for the rollers out of the bearing? Something sculptural?
i was thinking the same, id of parted with a few quid to hang it on my wall if they hadnt of cut it up...:D

Not sure about that Johnboy, although the last thing we want is to get the outer race halfway into position and then get it jammed:D
and boys dose that turn out into a handlin when it happens.
fitted a lot of bearings in my time, but nothing that big ill admit.
if you find a lathe tool that dose that for you, do let me know....

who you dealing with in Belgium ?

you must be v resourceful to be able to locate something that far away
i take it you dont use google a whole pile....

i take it you dont use google a whole pile....[/QUOTE]

I have used google more than you I'd lay a bet, butdont think you can find bearings that big that handy

I have used google more than you I'd lay a bet, butdont think you can find bearings that big that handy
just a matter of following the bread crumbs and a bit of patience.
not saying skimmer did that, but its where id start.

i dont think any of us could compare times on the net, but id imagine id give you a good run for your money...:whistle:;):lol:

just a matter of following the bread crumbs and a bit of patience.
not saying skimmer did that, but its where id start.

i dont think any of us could compare times on the net, but id imagine id give you a good run for your money...:whistle:;):lol:

Find it hard useing google to find stuff,you fancy a job Tinman?

or heat the race. :001_unsure:

i was thinking the same, id of parted with a few quid to hang it on my wall if they hadnt of cut it up...:D

and boys dose that turn out into a handlin when it happens.
fitted a lot of bearings in my time, but nothing that big ill admit.

if you find a lathe tool that dose that for you, do let me know....

i take it you dont use google a whole pile....

Sorry there Tinman, meant the outer race needs to be cooled to fit, they (powerscreen) did attempt heating the housing to get the outer race in on previous crushers, but supposedly that interfered with another bearing that sits at the top of the housing!!

Sorry there Tinman, meant the outer race needs to be cooled to fit, they (powerscreen) did attempt heating the housing to get the outer race in on previous crushers, but supposedly that interfered with another bearing that sits at the top of the housing!!
umm, something that size would create its own problems.
be interesting to see how the LN goes if they do it.
camera at the ready and all that...

umm, something that size would create its own problems.
be interesting to see how the LN goes if they do it.
camera at the ready and all that...

No doubt!:thumbup:
I'm looking forward to it myself, the new bearing arrived there today and it weighs almost 250kg!!!

simple enough i guess.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3W3KqB3cJ4"]cookebros liquid nitrogen shrink a bearing for easy fitting - YouTube[/ame]

Back