Converting a step frame trailer

Oh and your 3800 doesn't seem to account for your time, and from experience there's a fair bit of time in it

Not to spoil your broth but twoomey trailers in wexford is making bale trailers for 4000 for a 30ft double axle front racks.they are the rough details I don't know anymore a neighbour bought one and I've yet to see it it's ment to be a fine job.couple of more around have bought them off him too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I think 27ft would be a little bit short for 6 bales. They will squeeze on alright but squeeze they will. 28ft would be perfect imo. Also I think myself if you could a tri axle trailer you'd do better.

I think 27ft would be a little bit short for 6 bales. They will squeeze on alright but squeeze they will. 28ft would be perfect imo. Also I think myself if you could a tri axle trailer you'd do better.

Yeah id agree, we've a 26 foot here and quite often you have to push the 6th bale on from behind(no rear rack)

We are putting 6 mchale bales on there ends on a 27 ft trailer,that's with the racks removed ,but that's still good work leaving room for the hands to work.27 ft is perfect for 6 bales.

I just priced up roughly for the craic what it would cost in materials to make a
new 28 foot trailer
Two 40 foot lenths on 250x150x8 box 1000
Two secondhand commercial axels 500
Spring axel kit 600
3inchxinch and a half for crossmembers every 18 inches 350
4x2chanel to go round the outside 220
7 4mm chequer plate sheets 700
lights 100
rams and pipes 200
paint 200
consumibles gas esb wire discs etc 300
total 4170 euros
It makes a 25 year old converted trailer look dear.

Not to spoil your broth but twoomey trailers in wexford is making bale trailers for 4000 for a 30ft double axle front racks.they are the rough details I don't know anymore a neighbour bought one and I've yet to see it it's ment to be a fine job.couple of more around have bought them off him too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

That sounds like very good value and knowing Mixie they are well built.:thumbup:

Yeah id agree, we've a 26 foot here and quite often you have to push the 6th bale on from behind(no rear rack)

What type of baler`s ye using Can but 6 bale`s of straw or hay on a 26ft here made by either a welger or mchale baler that`s with front and back rack`s . Get the loan of a 28ft when we need it the bales are loose on the bottom row but you can get an extra bale on the second row . The extra 2ft make`s it harder to get in to certain yard`s than our 26ft sail`s into .

We are putting 6 mchale bales on there ends on a 27 ft trailer,that's with the racks removed ,but that's still good work leaving room for the hands to work.27 ft is perfect for 6 bales.

We get 5 bale`s of silage on the 26ft here loaded with the hand`s and leaving about 6'' between each bale and that`s with front and back rack`s in place .

I just priced up roughly for the craic what it would cost in materials to make a
new 28 foot trailer
Spring axel kit 600
lights 100
rams and pipes 200
paint 200
total 4170 euros
there is nothing more satisfying than making your own trailer, but if you have anything else to do with your time, just buy one.
along with that, its a bit of a grey area as to how it goes making your own trailer these days too, what with plates and ce markings.
kind hard to know what way its going to go.
mind, im willing to take the chance, but are you.

id still add another 10% to that price tbh, you will spend it in the end.
how much can one be bought for?

Have a 30ft bale trailer here,was a guniness lorry trailer in its former life father put the drawbar on it,single axel can carry 25 bales of silage or 35 of straw on a single axel

Have a 30ft bale trailer here,was a guniness lorry trailer in its former life father put the drawbar on it,single axel can carry 25 bales of silage or 35 of straw on a single axel

Was that a dray with the axle out back?

Did you lenghten it and reposition the axle?

What type of baler`s ye using Can but 6 bale`s of straw or hay on a 26ft here made by either a welger or mchale baler that`s with front and back rack`s . Get the loan of a 28ft when we need it the bales are loose on the bottom row but you can get an extra bale on the second row . The extra 2ft make`s it harder to get in to certain yard`s than our 26ft sail`s into .

We get 5 bale`s of silage on the 26ft here loaded with the hand`s and leaving about 6'' between each bale and that`s with front and back rack`s in place .

Hay and silage bales from a welger and hay and straw from a class, only a headboard up front and would never get the 6th in if there was a back rack... Also have a 30 foot here and 7 only just fits on, it has a small fairing on the back which brings the trailer out to about 31foot odd and often have to push the class bales on from behind... They would be fairly serious bales tho.... The silage out of the welger wouldn't be quite as tight for space alright but still needs more than the 26foot for 6 or 30 for 7.....

new 28 foot trailer
Spring axel kit 600
lights 100
rams and pipes 200
paint 200
total 4170 euros

Two axles will cost 4 to 5 hundred euro,but wheels will usually be extra,lads put a bit of value on 17.5 or 19.5 wheels.Just worth considering.
Smyths wouldn't be charging 10 plus vat for a similar trailer ,if it could be built that cheaply.

Two axles will cost 4 to 5 hundred euro,but wheels will usually be extra,lads put a bit of value on 17.5 or 19.5 wheels.Just worth considering.
Smyths wouldn't be charging 10 plus vat for a similar trailer ,if it could be built that cheaply.

That would be just puttin on secondhand 22.5 super singles on.
Is their anything you would change on the materials for that trailer?
Would the 80x40 channel be strong enough for the crossmembers or would 100x50 be nessesary?
I would imagine when all was said and done the materials would be 5k

Id say your about right.Im not sure whether chequer or flat sheet is more suitable,the rap boys will know.Id go for 5mm in the floor.
Its amazing the way rear lights,sidelights,paint,wire,hose and fittings add up.
Then if you go down the sprung drawbar route,you have machining to pay for,and a bit of extra time too.
The basic body and chassis would take no time to make,its the finishing that slow i find,racks lights,crashbars ,strap boxes etc.

Id say your about right.Im not sure whether chequer or flat sheet is more suitable,the rap boys will know.Id go for 5mm in the floor.
Its amazing the way rear lights,sidelights,paint,wire,hose and fittings add up.
Then if you go down the sprung drawbar route,you have machining to pay for,and a bit of extra time too.
The basic body and chassis would take no time to make,its the finishing that slow i find,racks lights,crashbars ,strap boxes etc.
you could call it thousands couldnt you.
for it all adds up.
as you say, skeleton is quick, finishing it off is another thing.

I'm not sure but I'd guess that 20 litres of primer and 20litres of top coat would cover it? I priced the 4 brake rams and hose and fittings with Ramko and they would be about 200. Lights I'm not just sure of. Now I would think that a sprung drawbar would take a bit of time all right. I'm not sure what the springs would cost. I would of thought that you could use a 50mm hardened pin and buy 2 foot of the heavy wall seamless bushin. Burn all the holes with a plasma cutter with a circle cutting kit. I could see a day being spent sorting the drawbar out.

I'm not sure but I'd guess that 20 litres of primer and 20litres of top coat would cover it? I priced the 4 brake rams and hose and fittings with Ramko and they would be about 200. Lights I'm not just sure of. Now I would think that a sprung drawbar would take a bit of time all right. I'm not sure what the springs would cost. I would of thought that you could use a 50mm hardened pin and buy 2 foot of the heavy wall seamless bushin. Burn all the holes with a plasma cutter with a circle cutting kit. I could see a day being spent sorting the drawbar out.

Lights can be expensive, i know i was probably being robbed blind but i was charged a euro a foot for 7core lighting cable :( :(

The other problem is, you are still selling an unbranded trailer, and no matter how well it is built, a lot of people will buy a s/h redrock, smyth, kane, dooley etc etc first and pay more than the price of your new one.

The other problem is, you are still selling an unbranded trailer, and no matter how well it is built, a lot of people will buy a s/h redrock, smyth, kane, dooley etc etc first and pay more than the price of your new one.

This problem will only get worse too as no matter what I'm sure trailer plating will come in the not too distant future.

WHATEVER you make, it will be wrong for the customer. Axles too far back / forwards, wheels too new / old tall / low, drawbar too long / short / heavy etc. And that's before we start on colour.
Some won't want to waste money on brakes or lights either.

Back