ESB strike

RmarkV

What precautions have you in place or are you putting in place for the possibility of this strike going ahead?

33kva deutz jenny with portable cable ordered and an ESB changeover switch for the farmyard, firewood, clean bed sheets and a few bottles of wine for the house ;);)

Posted from the Ham Bone using Crapatalk 2

I'll be firing up this baby

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1386334746233.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1386334746233.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 69
I'll be firing up this baby

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Wouldn't you be looking forward to an ESB strike for an excuse to give her good run! Think mine was about 55KVA before I dropped a phase. Stupid single phase.

Wouldn't you be looking forward to an ESB strike for an excuse to give her good run! Think mine was about 55KVA before I dropped a phase. Stupid single phase.

After power outages is there not a baby boom nine months later .

On a more serious note, the main issue we will hit is running the well, will draw water from the river for the farm but not sure about house yet.

TBH, and I know this statement could really bite me in the ass, but I think that every effort will be made to avoid a strike and I don't see it going ahead. Otherwise there'll be a good few more than the usual teachers having their babies early next September!

Herself is a public health nurse and if they hadn't enough to do they have to do a report next week of all elderly people living at home who have electrical aids in homes to help them ( beds heaters lifts etc ) for the esb

I'm going to stick my neck out here and say that there is absolutely no need to worry the Irish power grid has not collapsed since it was started up..any one who knows anything about power systems will tell you this is some feat.

It's not like you can just flick a switch and turn the whole lot off and turn the "grid" back on straight away when you finish striking. Some of the larger plants would have a start up time measured in days.

You can see the market scheduling it's done months in advance.
http://www.sem-o.com/pages/default.aspx

Here's the forecast and actual power from wind. The max demand in Ireland is about 5000MW see how the 40% from renewables by 2020 is some achievement..and you still have to have the backup generation for that frosty January night when there is no wind:whistling:
http://www.eirgrid.com/operations/systemperformancedata/windgeneration/

Yesterday :001_smile:
http://www.eirgrid.com/operations/systemperformancedata/windgeneration/

Max demand:whistle:
http://www.eirgrid.com/operations/systemperformancedata/systemdemand/

It's interesting stuff.

if the lads all walk out of the power stations, how does that work, do they just flick off the switch on the way out, or will some of them have to stay behind and do a controlled shutdown?

read something this morning reporting that eirgrid expect to be able to maintain around 75% output through wind, private power plants, and the northeren and welsh interconnectors. They will control demand at peak times using rolling blackouts.

As to the original question?

Got me a Genny for work: http://www.forum4farming.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8899

For home I got a rake of candles in ikea, just need to grab some batteries for the flashlamps and we're good to go.

TBH, and I know this statement could really bite me in the ass, but I think that every effort will be made to avoid a strike and I don't see it going ahead. Otherwise there'll be a good few more than the usual teachers having their babies early next September!

I don't believe it will go ahead either to be honest!

I dont think it will go ahead either, it would be seriously bad press for both sides, especially given the time of year and the run up to Christmas etc.
As a fella said on the radio today, they will have to compromise and come to an agreement at some point, they may as settle it now rather than waiting for the strike and then settling it. :rolleyes:

There was an ESB strike before a few years ago and the power was of for one or two hours during the day, nothing to be panicking about, the power would go of here about two or three times during the winter for the whole night but with new lines installed a few years ago this has imroved so an hour or two during the day is nothing

At the time when I renovated my house there was a lot of ESB strikes and oil shortages so I put the radiators so they would heat without a circulation pump . I still have the wood burning stove in the cellar and I have two water tanks in the attic . I have disposable barbecues for cooking on .

These Lads are nuts .

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1514

I dont think it will go ahead. One side will back down but if they dont and the strike does go ahead you can bet that the paper will go to town on the unions and public opinion will turn very quickly against them.
Personally I cannot see why they are threatening strike action. It is not as if the pension scheme is going to collapse in the morning. In fact it will be back in surplus in 2 or 3 years time. Im in a similar scheme here at work and its not in great shape at the moment but its not going to collapse any time soon plus we are not going out on strike over it. Sorry but my mind boggles on this one.....:confused::confused:

I don't believe it will go ahead either to be honest!

I think it will , the head union chief ( Brendan ogle ) never met a row he didn't jump into with glee , he is an extremely confrontational and militant fellow , I think he doesn't want a deal no matter what , he is itching for a major showdown

isay hes right shut down the place for a few days.farmers cant do it so some one should.

bringing in laws to stop protesting is communism!

isay hes right shut down the place for a few days.farmers cant do it so some one should.

bringing in laws to stop protesting is communism!

ironic you use the term " communism " as ogle is a self proclaimed fan of cuba :D

and banning strikes is closer to fascism than communism , its a right wing approach

I will criticise the ESB workers in ways (like the way it took 5 men, a van, a landrover and a unimog to pull a wire through the duct I lay down for them to join a meter to a transformer) but from what I understand in this case, if they hadn't have put their money into the guaranteed pension that they opted for, and bought bank shares in the mid 00s, they'd be financially better off now. I can see why they are pissed off, the question I would ask is who is at fault if anyone? And if it's because of someone misguiding workers as opposed to the downturn in the economy than they are right to strike, if the pensions are where they are because of the economic crash, tough luck, you have no more right to strike than the rest of us, join the queue.

the crux of the issue is the workers pension plan was mismanaged , nothing unsual there , tonnes of other people in the private sector had their pensions mismanaged , the difference is most people in the private sector haven the leverage the ESB do , the bottom line is the ESB want the tax payer to give them a dig out to make up the pension shortfall

if they hadn't have put their money into the guaranteed pension that they opted for

You will find that they didn't have an option Its a condition of employment to join the company pension scheme they pay a reduced rate of PRSI (D1 Class) which means that they have no entitlement to the state pension thats what the row is over. The company carried the liability of any shortfall same as any DB scheme until they changed their accounting method in 2011 and classed it as a DC scheme (defined contribution) with no liability to the company so the workers take all the risk.
the bottom line is the ESB want the tax payer to give them a dig out to make up the pension shortfall
I don't think so It looks as if the workers want the company to stabilise the pension scheme from the companys own huge profits of 600 million+ by paying a smaller dividend to the goverment.

Back