burning oil.

ford7610ky

the case 885 i have is burning oil,altough i cannot figure out why.there are no visible signs,ie smoke from exhaust or breather,it has a dry block with no leaky seals.the dealers took it back from me for two weeks and ran it on the dynometer for hours on end and they say they had it working hard and it didnt burn enough to worry about yet when i use it here only with a transport box or a bale spike it is using roughly 2 liters to every 5 or 6 engine hours.these are a reputable dealer who have a good name for dealing with.anyone have any ideas or clues as to what the problem might be.:confused:

the case 885 i have is burning oil,altough i cannot figure out why.there are no visible signs,ie smoke from exhaust or breather,it has a dry block with no leaky seals.the dealers took it back from me for two weeks and ran it on the dynometer for hours on end and they say they had it working hard and it didnt burn enough to worry about yet when i use it here only with a transport box or a bale spike it is using roughly 2 liters to every 5 or 6 engine hours.these are a reputable dealer who have a good name for dealing with.anyone have any ideas or clues as to what the problem might be.:confused:

I do know those engines don't like light work, transport box, cement mixer, are killers on engines. That said, it does sound like a lot of oil. It could be the oil scraper rings on the pistons. Out of interest, does it look like a new pope has been elected when you start it from cold?

Posted from the Ham Bone using Crapatalk 2

What's your clutch like? Might be rear main seal.

Also, have you a lot of blue smoke from the exhaust? The valve stem seals go hard on them.

the clutch is perfect in it,a little smoke when its started in the morning but only for the first couple of seconds.the rpms vary from top to bottom depending on what im doing,be it road work or yard work.i used to own a ford so starting it every morning i know what alot of smoke is but even with leaky seals i never had to put much oil into the ford.

From experience of years of dealing in IH and CaseIH - do not waste your time or cash fitting rings to any of these Neuss built engines.
The only sucessful job is a set of new piston/liner kits, Valve stem seals and a set of Big End bearings. When you are in there, Recut the valve seats in the head and reface/replace the valves, especially the exhaust valves.
Check the Thermostart/Heater plug - they have a habit of leaking diesel directly into the inlet manifold - washing the lube off the liners/pistons, causing prremature wear.
Get the injectors tested and renew the nozzle tips. Do not fit reground tips - use new ones only......

its under warenty so all i need to do is convince the dealer it needs doing.because it didnt leak too badly under load when they had it the wouldnt break it down.i guess they didnt make enough money off me to start with :-)

well she is showing nearly 5000 on the clock and i only took ownership of her in october and it came fully serviced plus while the dealers had her last week they changed the oil and filters for the engine again.

Back