Cost of letting out a beef house

Tullyvernon

Just a quick question,
Have been asked by someone how much they should charge to rent out their beef house, they are semi retired and don't need this particular shed this year.

The shed will house between 40 - 50 and has a good wide passage way and cattle would be all on slats with plenty of slurry storage.

Any ideas?

when we take the farmland we get the houses normally, or similar arrangement, renting shed only would be hard to price, was one rented out by a friend but he quite it as the renters treated it poorly and didnt clean up after themselves, emptied the tank when cattle removed and that was it, they didnt wash it out or tidy it up-plastic and net everywhere.

so based on his experinces i would be more picky of the man who rented it than highest bidder, assuming there is bidder, monthly rent and charge for time that slurry is left in tank after cattle go out, kept tidy-a good understanding of what is expected.

might sound stupid but the tank could be more valuable than the house slurry last year for free but no one had room, i remember the good old days slurry over every hedge to get shot of it:001_smile:.

I think someone has approached them, not sure who it is but most likely someone they know. The majority of the farm is set out so the slurry would be no use to them.

Any other ideas on price?

Just out of interest how much would a tank be worth for slurry storage? say charged per 2000gallon load? Just to get over the slurry ban, filled and then slurry took away when the ban lifts.

when we take the farmland we get the houses normally, or similar arrangement, renting shed only would be hard to price, was one rented out by a friend but he quite it as the renters treated it poorly and didnt clean up after themselves, emptied the tank when cattle removed and that was it, they didnt wash it out or tidy it up-plastic and net everywhere.

so based on his experinces i would be more picky of the man who rented it than highest bidder, assuming there is bidder, monthly rent and charge for time that slurry is left in tank after cattle go out, kept tidy-a good understanding of what is expected.

might sound stupid but the tank could be more valuable than the house slurry last year for free but no one had room, i remember the good old days slurry over every hedge to get shot of it:001_smile:.

would second this, we rented a shed where the previous owner used to just dump bales with the net on, and didn't used to move his pit sheet back, just tare at it. was a nightmare to pump!

also make sure the responsibility for stirring is clear fro day 1! because the fella we rented it off didn't do a thing, then would complain when it was time to empty it! he had a heck of a job, ended up with lifted slats, a mini digger lifting out to the passage and a loader loading it to a spreader!

think it was £3000 for the season, held 100head of stores, he kept the slurry.
was a while back so could be different now! and was a poorly designed tank and passage!

Bear in mind it'll most likely be treated the same way as anything else hired.

like shit.

I'll be years undoing the neglect of 7 or 8 years of our shed's being rented out.

Bear in mind it'll most likely be treated the same way as anything else hired.

like shit.

I'll be years undoing the neglect of 7 or 8 years of our shed's being rented out.

dont tar all us renters with the same brush. I just fitting new barriers and lighting to a shed I rented last year and have it for the next 4 yrs, pay is small but they know I will look after the place. fits about 80 beef animals

dont tar all us renters with the same brush. I just fitting new barriers and lighting to a shed I rented last year and have it for the next 4 yrs, pay is small but they know I will look after the place. fits about 80 beef animals

I'll second this too! we welded hinges on the old heavy lift off barriers in the shed we rented, and put in better wood for the barriers, did the work free he paid for the materials. came to a badly set up shed, left a slightly better set up shed! ;)

I know good tenants do exist, the problem is it's not until you have them that you know what you're getting.

My folks have their few acres rented out to the same brothers for nearly 20 years, they're nearly better son's than me.

What kind of money are you paying?

Its not mine, so not really bothered what way its looked after :lol:, was just asked for advice on how much they should charge.

Its a very well laid out shed, with a very decent yard of at the mouth of the shed foe turning the wagon and getting in at the tank. Just a pitty its too far from me, could do with it ourselves!!

I rent a 4 bay single , pens about 16 x16 ,about 40 cattle
€2000 ,I bring in my own fodder and bring away the slurry to my own land.

I rent a slatted shed--3 links, pay per head per day just! at the moment he uses slurry! as my land a fair distant away!!

heard to day for suck cows silage supplied and slurry kept, 90p a day, as a side note our cows will eat over £1 a day in silage, never mind labour or fuel.

Back to this, I may need to rent a couple of pens in an empty shed a fella has I would only be looking to put in 22 300kg heifers or 24 weanlings, he's asked for £1 a head a day, I'm bringing my own fodder and the place will be looked after and washed out he wants to keep the slurry, is that good or bad ?

I make it about £2160 for the 24 for 90 days

That's mad, £150 for the winter, €20 to €30/ head for the winter, cattle owner supplies feedand feeds it, shed owner retains the slurry.

I make that £90 per head for 3 months, I dunno it's a right of coin

I was think even £50 per head for the 3 months would be workable

I phoned a few lads there, one told me of a shed that man has 60 in is charged £1/hd/wk owner of shed keeps slurry, would seem more the price to me :undecided:

Back