buying entitlements this year

B

bull_market

anyone got any views on this , my uncle is retiring due to ill health and has 6000 euro worth of entitlements , I understand it used to be the case that entitlements were worth X2 so he is likely to be looking for 12 k for them

with the upcoming changes to the scheme , is buying a bit of a gamble ?

If you can use them for this year and if you have free hectares, buy them, depending on the entitlement value it could be up to 2.3 times value.

Last edited:
If you can use them for this you have free hectares, buy them, depending on the entitlement value it could be up to 2.3 times value.

il talk to my teagasc advisor about it , my uncle also has 60 acres to rent though its mostly poor land , would keep maiden heifers for the grazing season however , its 50 mins drive away but its not like id need to look at the cattle every day

I'd defiantly buy them. 2 times the value would be enough for them regardless of value imo especially if there high value ones as there only going one way and thats down.

I'd defiantly buy them. 2 times the value would be enough for them regardless of value imo especially if there high value ones as there only going one way and thats down.

their worth 136 euro per hectare and he has just shy of 26

their worth 136 euro per hectare and he has just shy of 26

In that case I personally would be pulling out the cheque book for them. 2 times the value would be my max though or 1.5 if you could persuade him?. The way things are going your better off with all you can get/claim as far as I'm concerned.

In that case I personally would be pulling out the cheque book for them. 2 times the value would be my max though or 1.5 if you could persuade him?. The way things are going your better off with all you can get/claim as far as I'm concerned.

This is true in two cases only, firstly if you have land with no entitlements and secondly if you are in a situation where your SFP will stay constant or increase next year.

I dunno, there's a lot of maths to be done on it.

what you'll earn on em this year, what impact they'll have on your position for 2015 and then are they gonna be growing or shrinking your balance over time.

actually what's the tax treatment on buying entitlements? Can you write them off against tax?

It only pays to by cheap ones, at €136 there worth a shot but can't understand guys buying dear ones and also renting land to put them on, I'd love to see how the sums add up

I dunno, there's a lot of maths to be done on it.

what you'll earn on em this year, what impact they'll have on your position for 2015 and then are they gonna be growing or shrinking your balance over time.

actually what's the tax treatment on buying entitlements? Can you write them off against tax?

You can't write them off against tax.

There were a few articles done on this over the past few months and it only pays for low value entitlements and you also need to be paying the low rate of tax.

At that time it was also clear that all entitlements were too expensive.

Back