Few truck questions

Ozzy Scott

Being a long time since we ran a livestock truck so asking a few stupid questions. Thinking of something like freshed used 18t or 15t

What would the unladen weight of such a vehicle with alu body be? 9t? Ballpark figure of insurance costs? and what sort of fuel consumption in general.

6 week tests and driving on a tacho are the major drawbacks

finally what would be most recommended, brand wise

Being a long time since we ran a livestock truck so asking a few stupid questions. Thinking of something like freshed used 18t or 15t

What would the unladen weight of such a vehicle with alu body be? 9t? Ballpark figure of insurance costs? and what sort of fuel consumption in general.

18 ton would be fine on two axles 25ft body but you would be pushing the weight limits and not the most stable either €1900 ish to tax.
Ideally three axles with rear lift which takes the weight limit to 25 tons cost a few quid more to tax but worth it imo.Unladen weight wouldn't be an issue either.
You won't need a haulage licence and you can operate within a 30 mile radius without a Tacho.
Daf,Scania or Volvo nothing much between them.
I can get 11mpg from the Daf.

An 18 tonner would suit you perfect on 2 axles . Stay away from 3 axle 's & lift axles extra tyre's to maintain and the lifting gear can cost a fortune if it gives trouble . Would recommend volvo as have one here gives little or no trouble . Any make should be fairly reliable finding a truck with lowish milage will be the hard bit . Something 180hp / 220hp would be plenty for you lighter on fuel and weight .

An 18 tonner would suit you perfect on 2 axles . Stay away from 3 axle 's & lift axles extra tyre's to maintain and the lifting gear can cost a fortune if it gives trouble . Would recommend volvo as have one here gives little or no trouble . Any make should be fairly reliable finding a truck with lowish milage will be the hard bit . Something 180hp / 220hp would be plenty for you lighter on fuel and weight .

Probably single axle would suit best. What would the payload on an 18t be? stick on say a 25ft body and you potentially could have over 10t of cattle. I want to always be running legal. What sort of money am I talking about? 25k for something clean enough? Still at the thinking stage. and how much was the insurance be?

Last edited:
18 ton would be fine on two axles 25ft body but you would be pushing the weight limits and not the most stable either €1900 ish to tax.
Ideally three axles with rear lift which takes the weight limit to 25 tons cost a few quid more to tax but worth it imo.Unladen weight wouldn't be an issue either.
You won't need a haulage licence and you can operate within a 30 mile radius without a Tacho.
Daf,Scania or Volvo nothing much between them.
I can get 11mpg from the Daf.
26 tons on 3 axles, up here anyway.

Probably single axle would suit best. What would the payload on an 18t be? stick on say a 25ft body and you potentially could have over 10t of cattle. I want to always be running legal. What sort of money am I talking about? 25k for something clean enough? Still at the thinking stage. and how much was the insurance be?

You will alway`s be on the limit with a single axle or slightly under it . You`d probably weigh around the 9 ton mark . You`d pick a fairly clean rig for e25k . The insurance would`nt be cheap .

not up there with the price of trucks but driven a few lately and volvlos I drive I think is the cream of the crop, also comes in newest Renaults but they will probably be the cream of the crop auto but u have no clutch or relatively little gearbox troubles.
Daf is an ok truck but they are cheap truck to start with Iveco gorlified fiat good running gear but not the most comfortable but price signals quality and not the best to start with.
Between getting the licence owning an opertors licence etc 6 weekly tests etc u have to justify is it cheaper for u to haul or get someone else in.

How far are you carting stock??

9t truck will cost €1584 road tax, insurance id be guessing €800 to €1000, for farmer use only, mot will depend on the condition of the truck and the millage each year, id say another €1000, fuel will cost about the same per head as if using a jeep and trailer or a tractor and trailer, a truck will cost more than a tractor trailer to buy initially and it will cost more per year to run, but its ready to go at a moments notice and doesnt tie up a tractor. Its on my wish list if the figures ever add up, they are getting close.

9t truck will cost €1584 road tax, insurance id be guessing €800 to €1000, for farmer use only, mot will depend on the condition of the truck and the millage each year, id say another €1000, fuel will cost about the same per head as if using a jeep and trailer or a tractor and trailer, a truck will cost more than a tractor trailer to buy initially and it will cost more per year to run, but its ready to go at a moments notice and doesnt tie up a tractor. Its on my wish list if the figures ever add up, they are getting close.

I cant seem to even get the figures close to adding up. Haulage contractors are just too inflexible for livestock. Would be doing around 250km a week across about 8 journeys. Tractor and trailer probably cheapest option but doesnt offer much comfort for long roads

What about a 7.5tt truck (or whatever a DAF LF is) and pull a IW box behind it?

that would have the local enforcers chomping at the bit if you rocked up to them pulling the 12t ivor aswell as over weight. 7.5t truck would be overloaded with 4 decent animals

that would have the local enforcers chomping at the bit if you rocked up to them pulling the 12t ivor aswell as over weight. 7.5t truck would be overloaded with 4 decent animals

They could do with patrolling the M50 some evenings then.

Isuzu NPR's loaded with sheep/calves pulling tri axle boxes with decks!

Ozzy was behind a lorry the other night and it got me thinking of you.

Would you consider an artic and you could tow an tandem trailer behind it. This lad had a lifting axle on the trailer as well and looked a well made job.

how do you mean Nash?

Im leaning towards a tractor trailer again as to me it would seem like I would have to spend 5k yearly on tax, insurance and testing ever before I drove a mile

how do you mean Nash?

Im leaning towards a tractor trailer again as to me it would seem like I would have to spend 5k yearly on tax, insurance and testing ever before I drove a mile

Sorry, that might have been a bit ambigious.

This was a plain DAF 4x2 CF it was pulling a tandem axle cattle body but was only around 30ft long so short enough.

On these two axles, the rear one was lifting so going back empty it was light enough and less wear.

If you based the maths on a 50k 130hp tractor pulling a 26ft trailer, would it stack up better?

Here's what you want, met this lad in the factory a few weeks back. €14k + the VAT it was iirc.:001_smile:

Attachments

• 20140401_152529.jpg
    20140401_152529.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 195
Here's what you want, met this lad in the factory a few weeks back. €14k + the VAT it was iirc.:001_smile:

That must be a 33ft?

Thought it was my neighbour for a minute till I saw the extra axle :D

So did the car pass :lol::whistling:

Flew through! Can't bate the Vag.. It's either 34 or 35 feet. Not bad money for the size of it and it was new and has no engine to go wrong. Met him in the factory when washing down and seen it parked in the mart the next day buying more. Some amount of big tractor trailers in the yard that day and I was saying to myself there's no money in cattle :D. That trailer would hold €50k.

Flew through! Can't bate the Vag.. It's either 34 or 35 feet. Not bad money for the size of it and it was new and has no engine to go wrong. Met him in the factory when washing down and seen it parked in the mart the next day buying more. Some amount of big tractor trailers in the yard that day and I was saying to myself there's no money in cattle :D. That trailer would hold €50k.

Don't think about it like that do you...... lads would be worried towing a new baler or what have you but cruise around with a box full of cattle without thinking how much money there is in there!! :sweatdrop:

I'm always thinking that way! When we had beet you would have maybe €800 behind you, barley maybe €2,800 if the price was €200/t. Cattle we fit 7 into our little tractor trailer and you would have €12,500 behind you. A lot less machinery involved in producing them too.

Back