When is it too late?

wex

Can't believe how wet land is still. Going to be the middle of next week before I even get to start sowing barley. Never seen it so late. Just wondering what's the latest people would chance barley? Surely anything sowed after the 20th is going to suffer a yield reduction.

I wouldn't panic about barley yet. I haven't even anything ploughed yet. One of the best crops of barley I ever grew was sown in the last week in April. 120 acres all did 3 tonne.

Im with tippcon, no panic, more important to get sowed in good conditions than having it in early, started ploughing here yesterday, going to give it a run of a disc with a press on the front links on monday or tuesday and sow wheat on wednesday, barley will be later next week at the earliest. Its never too late, if conditions dont allow sowing, you just have to have patience. It will all be done, last spring was very late too up here and the crops ended up yielding above average.

Last edited:
A lot of barley was sown this time and later last year , we were sowin up to the 10 the May last year and all did 3 or near enough , all late drilling really does is make it a later harvest . Have 170 sowed in the last couple of days and about 100 to sow before we start back ploughing and there's still 250 to plough .

I agree with all the lads above.

Conditions more important than calendar date.

We will have to be on the ball spraying for aphids.

A lot of mucking going on in my view, as the lads say no need to panic yet and really no need to panic at all.

Latest here was April 26th I'm pretty sure. And this year is not looking much better.

Early ploughing lads will have a lot of work to do.

I have seen a few fields and bits of fields either grubbed out or will have to be grubbed out next week which were drilled around st Patrick's day and around the 27-28th march due to water logging, poor seed beds and compaction. A right mess so don't panic, no ploughing done here yet and next week is plenty time

And Shur lads, if push came to shove, you could sow grass in it and keep a few sucklers. ;)

Posted from the Ham Bone using Crapatalk 2

Tilling here at home today. But will leave it as long as I can to sow. To much stuff going in that's not dry enough. Any I see going in ain't rising any dust so not dry enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Started tilling today in a few dry fields to dry them out.

Some are doing that around here too, even dry land is turning up wet.

My father ploughed a dry field last night. I thought it might be dry as a result but it was as wet as could be.

And Shur lads, if push came to shove, you could sow grass in it and keep a few sucklers. ;)

Posted from the Ham Bone using Crapatalk 2

I think Ill get into heifer rearing. From what I've heard its easy money.

Some are doing that around here too, even dry land is turning up wet.

My father ploughed a dry field last night. I thought it might be dry as a result but it was as wet as could be.

Ploughing the last two fields today, I thought they would be drier as they are dry fields. Turning up fine though and will plant during the week.
The land that was ploughed and furrow pressed a month ago are perfect right down through them when i dig with a spade.

Done here very light land but we pay for it with the stones. We were surprised ploughed a few weeks ago but it dried out quickly bar 1 or 2 wet patches. Even rolled it which we wouldn't have done if we weren't reasonably sure of it. Time will tell though.

Can't believe how wet land is still. Going to be the middle of next week before I even get to start sowing barley. Never seen it so late. Just wondering what's the latest people would chance barley? Surely anything sowed after the 20th is going to suffer a yield reduction.

ehh,i only just got my field discd might sow it tomorrow or monday

Believe me lads, its all about creating a good seedbed for spring barley.

The forecast looks ok for the week so let the soil dry and till it well.

Keep seed rates up and be ready with a good aphicide (e.g. SumiAlpha) once you have 2 leaves.

Only roll if its dry and no big rain forecast.

Believe me lads, its all about creating a good seedbed for spring barley.

The forecast looks ok for the week so let the soil dry and till it well.

Keep seed rates up and be ready with a good aphicide (e.g. SumiAlpha) once you have 2 leaves.

Only roll if its dry and no big rain forecast.

spot on
if you cant see the colour of the horse dressing the field its dry enough to sow:thumbup:

Tilling here at home today. But will leave it as long as I can to sow. To much stuff going in that's not dry enough. Any I see going in ain't rising any dust so not dry enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely spot on Daniel.

Waiting on lime here and will break down either just before or after it and let it dry out as you say.

Seen enough of very damp seedbeds around.

Have to say land is drying well had to turn on the wiper a few times last night to take the dust of the window .

Last edited:
I sowed barley last may on the 12th I think .was one of the best crops ever granted we got a great summer

Back