nissan terranno

sumpplug

ok an odd problem here, the brother has a terranno 2.7 great jeep until lately when it stated to fill the coolant expansion bottle with coolant when up to driving temp and when it cools down it dont pull the coolant from the bottle back into the rad like its supossed to do. he changed the thermostat, rad cap and a new water pump went into it last january. the head gasket has been tested with the sniff test and that shows the coolant free of exaust gas so head is not the prob. all hoses have been checked and new jubliee clips fitted.its not leaking coolant anywhere and has had a couple of flushes in case of blockages. we spent yesterday ripping it apart checking rads and every f**kin thing and he just rang me to say still the same. i told him burn the c--t but before he heads for the matches any ideas:speechless:

every thing seemed clear even parked it with the front up on the lift and the back wheels on the ground to bleed the c--t as the are supposed to be a pig for air locks in the coolant. usually youtube is good but nothing for this

Sniffer tests are not 100 % certain the gasket can still be leaking. A friend had it with his golf coolant was going up and down all the time. Put a head gasket on it and she was ok.

Has it got the proper rad cap on it?
Has to have the one with a valve in the centre to allow the coolant back in.
Otherwise I would say head gasket.

I'm no expert on them by the way. Just bought another one though, 20 years old and really is mint. Just noticed it even has the full underbelly skid/protector on it. Never even seen one before.
Totally irrelevant but never pass up a chance to gloat. :)

Has it got the proper rad cap on it?
Has to have the one with a valve in the centre to allow the coolant back in.
Otherwise I would say head gasket.

after going over it again last night we are leaning towards the rad cap, so a new one has been ordered at the main dealers as the spurios ones arent up to scratch. the spurios ones while look the same are different in their dimensions which makes me wonder would the spring pressure vary on them too. the gas thing is the main dealer dont keep a ten euro part in stock and has to order it

Back