Realising your getting older

Sussex Martin

When I was younger I could take a few knocks and the following day forget what happened as there was just a bruise left and no pain. I could work all day, be up half the night lambing or combining and after a couple of hours kip feel as good as gold (well almost).
Well those days have gone, I got kicked when dehorning a calf ten days ago and when I put my socks on this morning it still bloody hurts! I spend a few hours doing menial tasks around the farm and I can ache for days (never did look after my back). Had a cow that I needed to check a couple of times over night and didn't get my normal 7 hours, I felt knackered all day.
Strange isn't it, because when I look in the mirror in the morning when I'm having a shave, the face that I look at doesn't look much different from the one I was looking at 30 odd years ago.

When I was younger I could take a few knocks and the following day forget what happened as there was just a bruise left and no pain. I could work all day, be up half the night lambing or combining and after a couple of hours kip feel as good as gold (well almost).
Well those days have gone, I got kicked when dehorning a calf ten days ago and when I put my socks on this morning it still bloody hurts! I spend a few hours doing menial tasks around the farm and I can ache for days (never did look after my back). Had a cow that I needed to check a couple of times over night and didn't get my normal 7 hours, I felt knackered all day.
Strange isn't it, because when I look in the mirror in the morning when I'm having a shave, the face that I look at doesn't look much different from the one I was looking at 30 odd years ago.
look in a mirror then not a picture of you 30 years ago:lol::lol:

im getting that way and im not even 40 have had a hard paper round the last 20 year though:lol::thumbup1:

Try cutting cabbages for 25 years. :lol:
It hurt then, and it hurts now. It seems to hurt less now, but I think i have just got used to the pain.
Soon goes when you stop. In fact the worst time for having chronic backache is when I have a few days off. It hurts more to stand upright these days.

in my head I am still 22 but sadly the rest is starting to feel knackered ,
having to type this with one hand as a lenth of door track fell off a 20 foot door tonight and hit my arm :crying:,good job it didnt hit my head :sweatdrop: I hope I dont need a visit to the mender in the morning :scared:

the good news is that the cast bracket didnt hit the groud and smash in to bits

Eeh, when I were a lad.....

I would finish work @ 4pm on a Friday, go out 'til 2am on the raz. Dodgy kebab and walk home. Hour's kip and back to work for 6am for 12 hours. Home, bath, out again 'til 2 then back on Sunday for 6am for 8 hours. Bit of a kip on the settee on a Sunday afternoon and right as rain.

Miss an hour's kip now and I'm kippered all day. If I carry a bag of rolled barley the length of a field now I need to catch my breath before putting it in the troughs (although that might be a sensitivity to it according to the quack). I wish I were 20 years younger and knew all that I know now.

for starters on this post, im not being smart or anything.
a question for the older and more wise amongst us.
when ya get older, and possibly not as fit as you once used to be (as we seen in the posts so far) Do you still have the mind of a 20yr old, as in the amount of work you need to get done and the things you would like to do.

or, do you realise that for many years you have fought the fight and run the race so to speak and are happy to get done what ya can do for the day?.

i feel guilty when i come home early,( why is that?) like this eve, im just in the door there at half 7.
no doubt i had a long week tho.
ten yrs ago id still be hammering away til 9 or 10 in the eve this time of the year, but as i get older, and i dont think im that old yet, im finding i just don't have the energy any-more.
seems im not alone in the boat on this one tho.

Tinman, there are times when you still feel young (when you get a smile from a pretty girl) and times you feel your age (when you think you may not be capable of doing anything with the pretty girl).

I think as your body ages it gives you little signals, like telling you to get home at half seven instead of ten:laugh:. Yes you do lower your expectations in and out of the bedroom, you are still capable of doing things, just a little slower:whistling: and you find different techniques:tt2:for achieving the same aims:thumbup1:

I don't think or feel any different than when I was 21, although a little wiser and not quite so bad tempered.
Worst thing is when i look in the mirror and see my Dad. :001_rolleyes:

HAHAHA reminds me of this old fella
he's yarning away recalling old times and says when i was young i could not push my willy down useing both hands
mid life i could bend it a bit useing both hands

now i'm in my 70's i can fold it in 1/2 useing just one hand
he looked at the ground and stired the dust around and then looks me squaire in the eyes and said "JD i worryed just how much stronger my arms are going get" :whistling:

for starters on this post, im not being smart or anything.
a question for the older and more wise amongst us.
when ya get older, and possibly not as fit as you once used to be (as we seen in the posts so far) Do you still have the mind of a 20yr old, as in the amount of work you need to get done and the things you would like to do.

or, do you realise that for many years you have fought the fight and run the race so to speak and are happy to get done what ya can do for the day?.

i feel guilty when i come home early,( why is that?) like this eve, im just in the door there at half 7.
ten yrs ago id still be hammering away til 9 or 10 in the eve this time of the year, but as i get older, and i dont think im that old yet, im finding i just don't have the energy any-more.

Tinman, a few thoughts on your questions:laugh:
I still have the mind I had when I was 18, its just that 30 years hence, like the body, it is'nt quite as quick.
The body can be made do do what it did all those years ago, its just that now, the day after it has to be pushed that little bit harder:001_rolleyes:
But that is in my nature, I dont take no for an answer!
One thing you should do, is look after your body, dont ignore those aches n pains, cos if you do(like I did) then it comes back and bites you on the bum later on.
I dont set my self a target to do things in a day, because there is always tomorrow, and thats the way to avoid disapointment and frustration that you havnt achieved enough in your day.
Because things take me a little longer, my days, like yesterday, can sometimes not end till later.
I can still rugby tackle a ewe, but these days, I dont take a 20 yard run and dive:001_rolleyes: I used my patience(which is a blessing of age) and take a 10ft dive:001_rolleyes:
My hands dont grip like they used too, but thats what tools are for:001_rolleyes:
My legs dont run as fast as they did, until there is a dog or similar threatening my stock, then seb coe better watch out!
One thing that dosnt age, is wit, humour, a sharp tongue, my face may have a few more lines than a 20yo, but I earned those with laughter, they are my medal of life.
Grow old disgracefully, look forward, not back, and just remeber though what came before made you the person you are today, and be proud of what and who you are, covet nothing and you wont be disapointed.

:thumbup1:

Tinman, a few thoughts on your questions:laugh:
I still have the mind I had when I was 18, its just that 30 years hence, like the body, it is'nt quite as quick.
The body can be made do do what it did all those years ago, its just that now, the day after it has to be pushed that little bit harder:001_rolleyes:
But that is in my nature, I dont take no for an answer!
One thing you should do, is look after your body, dont ignore those aches n pains, cos if you do(like I did) then it comes back and bites you on the bum later on.
I dont set my self a target to do things in a day, because there is always tomorrow, and thats the way to avoid disapointment and frustration that you havnt achieved enough in your day.
Because things take me a little longer, my days, like yesterday, can sometimes not end till later.
I can still rugby tackle a ewe, but these days, I dont take a 20 yard run and dive:001_rolleyes: I used my patience(which is a blessing of age) and take a 10ft dive:001_rolleyes:
My hands dont grip like they used too, but thats what tools are for:001_rolleyes:
My legs dont run as fast as they did, until there is a dog or similar threatening my stock, then seb coe better watch out!
One thing that dosnt age, is wit, humour, a sharp tongue, my face may have a few more lines than a 20yo, but I earned those with laughter, they are my medal of life.
Grow old disgracefully, look forward, not back, and just remeber though what came before made you the person you are today, and be proud of what and who you are, covet nothing and you wont be disapointed.

:thumbup1:
cheers for that llamedos.
mind you im only 10yrs behind you, but ill take note.:thumbup1:

HAHAHA reminds me of this old fella
he's yarning away recalling old times and says when i was young i could not push my willy down useing both hands
mid life i could bend it a bit useing both hands

now i'm in my 70's i can fold it in 1/2 useing just one hand
he looked at the ground and stired the dust around and then looks me squaire in the eyes and said "JD i worryed just how much stronger my arms are going get" :whistling:

:thumbup::lol::lol::lol::thumbup:

I can certainly relate to all of what you say.

In my late teens & through my twenties & early thirties I could look at what work was ahead...& think of it as a challenge !!
Now, at 45, I look at the work ahead (and it is not anything like as much as it was)...& think "how the hell am I ever going to get that done" !
O.K, so with four young children (and being very much a hands on & involved Dad) This is probably part of the reason I sometimes struggle ??
But, as Tinman says, It is the lack of energy I find so frustrating !
It does not seem that long ago that I could sit on a tractor from 6.00am till gone midnight ! I should have done more ploughing last night, but after I came in for tea (with the family) at about 7.30pm....I just couldn't motivate myself to get back out in the field again!
So I was up at 6.00am to make an early start.....& everything is white with frost !!! :thumbdown: Now I will mis my lads last Rugby Match of the season !
Sometimes you just can't win !

Having said all that...it's not a bad life really ! We just have to accept the fact that whilst we may be young at heart...the body is telling us otherwise !!

And don't some of these office workers make you sick ?? :tt2:
A mate of mine has now past 50...After A levels he dossed at uni for 5 years (on & off), them bummed around Europe (doing very little) for another 5 years, and has since done a 9 till 5 Job with every weekend & bank holiday off + 5 weeks holiday a year ! And he reckons I should be ashamed of the fact that I can't keep up (fitness level) with someone that is almost six years older ! I often tell him that if he had actually started work before he reached 30...he would probably find it a lot different! :lol: :lol:

The ones that pish me off Phill are the office pen pushers, who say "get yourself to the gym" if they had ever done a days work in their life, they wouldnt need a bloody gym:angry: and who wants to go and smell stale sweat and look at orange people for an hour a day:lol:

The ones that pish me off Phill are the office pen pushers, who say "get yourself to the gym" if they had ever done a days work in their life, they wouldnt need a bloody gym:angry: and who wants to go and smell stale sweat and look at orange people for an hour a day:lol:

I agree toonies and there bloody gyms, HA HA HA numpties

I'm 46. This morning from 8.30 until 10 myself and my cousin cut 1500 cabbage each. That is an average of one every 3.6 seconds. Well it would be, but we picked some of them up for a while too.
Send me an office worker of any age that could keep up. :lol:

The ones that pish me off Phill are the office pen pushers, who say "get yourself to the gym" if they had ever done a days work in their life, they wouldnt need a y gym:angry: and who wants to go and smell stale sweat and look at orange people for an hour a day:lol:

Physical work will have some positive effect on a persons fitness, but you need to increase your heart rate and get it flat out once in a while;).

Physical work will have some positive effect on a persons fitness, but you need to increase your heart rate and get it flat out once in a while;).

Like running after a cow or a sheep or pushing a soaking wet bale of straw round the cattle shed etc etc etc no need for gyms inthe country

Like running after a cow or a sheep or pushing a soaking wet bale of straw round the cattle shed etc etc etc no need for gyms inthe country

Not really, I'll bet you only get to about 70% of full capacity doing all of that and for only a very short period of time too.

Back