My new log splitter

Applesquasher

It turned up today.
What surprised me was the finish quality, not good.
Two handle operation as per the rules, slots for handles at such the wrong angle that they didn't fit. You couldn't work the valve.
Plate too close to the valve, hit the plate before the valve could operate.
Someone drilled hole for grease nipple then changed their mind and drilled somewhere else, then fitted a grease nipple badly cross threaded.
Top link hole too big, cat2 pin slides right through.
Paintwork very poor in places.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365635567.722022.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365635586.502952.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365635600.510428.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365635622.992626.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365635641.903014.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365635654.570106.jpg

Nobody tested the machine before shipping, it didn't work as supplied to me.

So, after a bit of fiddling, it is now changed to single handed operation. A bit naughty but at least it does actually work now.
Paintwork and blemishes don't bother me too much, it's for chopping logs not looking at, grease nipple cross threaded doesn't matter either but very sloppy.
Pin hole made too big is just daft, why would you do that? They supplied the pin so they know how big they are. Nice of them to supply the pin, and all lynch pins too.

Besides all that, does it chop logs? Yes it does
Am I pleased with it? Yes I am
Value for money? Very much so
Recommend it to others? Yes
Faster than my Oxdale? No, I don't think it is. Early days on that one though

looks a good one.
pity as you say about the finish.
not too hard to take a bit of pride in your work is it, something that is lost on a lot of ones now a days imo.

Very sloppy of them to send it out like that, they are only shooting themselves in the foot really. It does look to work well though, not too slow either :thumbup:

the word trading standards and not fit for purpose spring to mind!
was it made by smyth engineering?

It's spray painted, it's not terrible but could easily be made just that bit better.
From Hand Engineering and not bad enough for me to send it back.

Gave it a reasonable testing last night, only stopped when my elevator ran out of petrol.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365671436.615067.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365671454.268942.jpg

That's a LWB version by the way ;)

The one in the pic has handles 3 times as long as the one I got.
If my handles had been that long it might of nearly worked.
Price is plus VAT.

Hello folks, long time no see and apologies for my absence.
I would just like to update this thread a little if I may.

Somebody made the folks at Hand Engineering aware of this thread, they subsequently got in touch with me to say they were sorry that I was disappointed with the machine. After a little discussion they said they would send me a brand new machine to replace the one I had. A generous offer which I accepted.
Despite being in constant touch with each other the new machine never happened, reason being they were so busy trying to fill orders that they never found time. No big deal as I was quite happy using the splitter I had anyway.

Eventually I suggested the matter be closed as any faults the machine ever had were well masked by me using it anyway. It did what I wanted it to do and after a years use the cosmetic stuff really didn't matter.
I cheekily asked for some hydraulic pipes instead as I had tipped the splitter over by accident and kinked one of the hoses. I also said I wouldn't mind some extension hoses so I could mount the splitter on the front of the tractor. None of this was a condition of me not getting a new splitter and I said so, I would have made no complaint if I got nothing.
After asking for the hoses I looked up how much they would be if I were to buy some locally and I was shocked just how much they were as I really had no idea. In fact I was honestly embarrassed for even asking once I knew the price.
Well, the hoses all turned up along with all the quick release fittings for them. Much more than I ever expected.

Correspondence between us has always been polite and pleasant, they have been nice people to deal with all along. Thank you for allowing me to update this thread and to tell you how they went above and beyond in sorting what were no more than silly little faults. Apparently I was unfortunate that my machine was sent out on a day they were struggling for staff, they have had no other complaints.

Log splitter is still here, still in use and is a damned good machine.:thumbup:

Somebody made the folks at Hand Engineering aware of this thread, they subsequently got in touch with me to say they were sorry that I was disappointed with the machine. After a little discussion they said they would send me a brand new machine to replace the one I had. A generous offer which I accepted.
Despite being in constant touch with each other the new machine never happened, reason being they were so busy trying to fill orders that they never found time. No big deal as I was quite happy using the splitter I had anyway.

Eventually I suggested the matter be closed as any faults the machine ever had were well masked by me using it anyway. It did what I wanted it to do and after a years use the cosmetic stuff really didn't matter.
I cheekily asked for some hydraulic pipes instead as I had tipped the splitter over by accident and kinked one of the hoses. I also said I wouldn't mind some extension hoses so I could mount the splitter on the front of the tractor. None of this was a condition of me not getting a new splitter and I said so, I would have made no complaint if I got nothing.
After asking for the hoses I looked up how much they would be if I were to buy some locally and I was shocked just how much they were as I really had no idea. In fact I was honestly embarrassed for even asking once I knew the price.
Well, the hoses all turned up along with all the quick release fittings for them. Much more than I ever expected.

Correspondence between us has always been polite and pleasant, they have been nice people to deal with all along. Thank you for allowing me to update this thread and to tell you how they went above and beyond in sorting what were no more than silly little faults. Apparently I was unfortunate that my machine was sent out on a day they were struggling for staff, they have had no other complaints.

Thats great to hear, and good that you updated it too, its nice to hear good news about companies. :thumbup:

Fair dues for them getting in touch with you.. Most wouldn't. Glad to hear the splitter is being well used.

That's what I'd call a decent company . Heard one of there machines was faulty and went about trying to fix it .
Also nice to see you back apples . [emoji106]

Get busy living or get busy dying.

fair play to hand engineering.:thumbup:
they done well in the end.
im sure your reply to the thread here will be a help to them.

its nice to see a company that dosent brush you under the mat as soon as you walk out the door.

Fair play Apples for updating this and well done to Hands too.

Hope things are well with you Apples.:thumbup:

Well done to Hand Engineering for reaching an amicable solution.

And yea a big welcome back to the Squasher of Apples

Fair play for them for getting back to you and coming to an amicable resolution.
But that said i dont really think they had much of a choice,
All they were getting here was bad publicity, I for one would never have bought anything built by them after seeing the quality of work they let out the door .
But for an offer of a swap to a new machine and ultimately a new set of hoses they come out of this smelling of roses.
Id say anyone here wouldn't mind buying off them in the future.

That said it should never have left the factory, you had to alter a safety mechanism to get it to work by changing it to one handed operation

Fair play for them for getting back to you and coming to an amicable resolution.

But that said i dont really think they had much of a choice,

All they were getting here was bad publicity, I for one would never have bought anything built by them after seeing the quality of work they let out the door .

But for an offer of a swap to a new machine and ultimately a new set of hoses they come out of this smelling of roses.

Id say anyone here wouldn't mind buying off them in the future.

That said it should never have left the factory, you had to alter a safety mechanism to get it to work by changing it to one handed operation

I didn't have to alter a safety mechanism, I chose to. I think their biggest concern was that I had made it one handed operation.
From what they told me I don't think any bad publicity from me had harmed their sales.

At the end of the day the important bit is customer satisfaction, this customer is more than satisfied. It was unfortunate that I got a sub standard machine to start with but the faults were easily put right by myself. The machine works well, it will last me out.

I didn't have to alter a safety mechanism, I chose to. I think their biggest concern was that I had made it one handed operation.
From what they told me I don't think any bad publicity from me had harmed their sales.

At the end of the day the important bit is customer satisfaction, this customer is more than satisfied. It was unfortunate that I got a sub standard machine to start with but the faults were easily put right by myself. The machine works well, it will last me out.

i know you are satisfied with the product but you should never have had to make any alterations to it , you bought new and it didnt work coming out of the packet .
You also say that it didnt harm their sales but in reality negative publicity does, and to me the first half of this thread was negative.

Seen them. Serious machine but severely let down by spewing all the sawdust into the log pile.
Ruins the carpet don't you know.

Back