Welding .Brazing Einboch drive cable??

Snoddysnodbong

Having made a welded repair to the drive cable on my 3 m Einboch seeder (because I am tooo tight to pay £200 for a new one;))
,I see it has now come apart again .
Because it had sheared off at the very end where it joins , ( as I had not seen that the bracket holding it steady and paralell to the drive wheel had slipped down :ohmy:)I had drilled out the wire from the end lug ,inserted the wire again ,and tacked it ,then reversed the whole drive cable so that the repair was protected more at the top!!
Just wondered ,and I appreciate that it might be difficult to say ,but would a braized repair be a better option , as would the braize fill the gaps between the wire and end lug?
Tinman ,is this too old tech for you:tt2:??

The way I would look at it would be .

Einboch will buy the cable in not make it . And the main dealer you probably priced it from is having a good 40% out of it . Can you not find the cable manufacture with an internet search

Yes Joe ,I might do that in the end .
It went all season on the first repair that I knew was not over strong!
It does not require much force to drive the variable gear box at all ,so a good repair should do !
Failing that I will do as you say ,or bit the bullet .
Its funny how braizing is almost dying out nowadays ,time was it was used for all sorts of misc repairs.

Yes Joe ,I might do that in the end .
It went all season on the first repair that I knew was not over strong!
It does not require much force to drive the variable gear box at all ,so a good repair should do !
Failing that I will do as you say ,or bit the bullet .
Its funny how braizing is almost dying out nowadays ,time was it was used for all sorts of misc repairs.

I could not braze to save my life . or solder

The way I would look at it would be .

Einboch will buy the cable in not make it . And the main dealer you probably priced it from is having a good 40% out of it . Can you not find the cable manufacture with an internet search

good point, is the seeder box the hatzenbitcher one, same as is fitted to the opico harrows? They're horrendously expensive for spares. when you buy a new one, you get 4 metering wheels for different sized seed, some guy who was working for me at the time, (but not any more), went off to drill some grass seed and managed to loose the spare wheels, i have no idea how he managed to do this, opico wanted £300 each for new wheels, so that was £900 for thye three he lost. I managed to get a spare small seed wheel of someone for £100, and he got shown the road out of the yard.

good point, is the seeder box the hatzenbitcher one, same as is fitted to the opico harrows? They're horrendously expensive for spares. when you buy a new one, you get 4 metering wheels for different sized seed, some guy who was working for me at the time, (but not any more), went off to drill some grass seed and managed to loose the spare wheels, i have no idea how he managed to do this, opico wanted £300 each for new wheels, so that was £900 for thye three he lost. I managed to get a spare small seed wheel of someone for £100, and he got shown the road out of the yard.

No Basil, the Einboch one is different . IIRC the opico one drives off a metal wheel does it not .
Mine drives off the centre of the rubber wheels that the whole thing runs on!!!

i was just thinkin the same as snowcat.
is the cable sheared off or has it come out of a swage collar or something.

a picture would be really handy, and more explanatory snoddy

sor, i didn't see this thread til there now.

also agree with snowcat - silfoss requires less heat input so less likely to damage cable and has amazing shear strength

Just to try and tidy up my post ,the other day I took the cable off ,and put the drive boss end in the vice and drilled out all the old wire . Cleaned it up as best I could then filled it with solder and introduced the cleaned up end of the wire . Then , when it had cooled ,I migged it very gently around the outside ,so as not to lose the solder , paint sprayed it when it was cool .
Seems strong enough ,put a bit of chain lube in the sheath (not recommended I know ,but it might lessen the drag) and bobs your uncle!:thumbup1:
Time will tell :whistling:

Back