Rabbits!

Mike

Its a bit like that father Ted episode around here with rabbits, certainly a lot more around this year, they are even around the lawn in the mornings.
Not that I mind or anything.
Are they more plentiful nationwide?

Yeah they had a great winter here an awful lot of burrowing done, lot of young rabbits about earlier in the year

same as, they keep the lawn nipped tho, and they give the dogs a bit of entertainment so i can live with them !

Scarce enough around here. Hares on the other hand are a lot more plentiful.

And don't mention crows! An epidemic of them for the last week or so.

Plenty of hares around here too. Last year you would see 1 or 2 of them around the lawn or along the lane early morning. Now there's 8 to 10. We also have 2 cock phesants and 4 or 5 hens within 100m of the house. Yesterday as I was walking through fields I saw 1 of the hens fly up and 5 or 6 chicks flew up after her.

Grey crows are plentyful too - Earlier in the week I wrapped bales late one night and painted them to try to keep the crows away. Was coming down the stairs at 6.30am the following morning and saw the biggest grey crow that i ever saw sitting on top of one of them. The fecker was the size of a turkey! Must be getting good feeding!

I think the number of rabbits, crows, pigeons and every type of wild animal are alarmingly high around here this year, why I don't know. Some animals or birds are no harm but especially the amount of crows around the yard and fields isn't good, all over water troughs, calf troughs, in the parlour and flattening grain is serious, God knows what disease they carry. I haven't seen a mixie rabbit in ages come to think of it.

And I thought it was just us!

Tis like the Father Ted episode with rabbits.

Magpies and pigeons are as bad and the former have gotten too used to a Larsen trap [emoji22]

They certainly seem more prevalent this year, it was the same a few years back. Putting it down to the winter not being too harsh on them.

We need this fella:

TomBird.jpg

Never seen as much wildlife( of all sorts) as i see arou d our place this year. Come to mention it dont know when i seen a mixie rabbit either.

Never seen a field with as many of the b@$+@rds about here in a long time!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437146265.938825.jpg

Glad I kept at it and drew in my haylage last nite!!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437146283.846224.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's an epidemic, must be a reason why they congregate at the top of the field. ffs I thought they were rabbits at first ..

Between them and the amount of rabbits we have about here I really need to get the gun out a bit more! Sure it'd be easy picking shoot anywhere into the middle of them and you're bound to get a few!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Epedemic over here too! no crops so won't worry much!

Was eating breakfast last morning and a little wabit came up to the patio windows o look at itself in the reflection! They do provide a bit of entertainment around the house!

Shot 5 rabbits on Tuesday, 12 on Weds and 19 on Thurs evening. Just .22 rifle out of my truck window.
You wouldn't know I'd shot one for the amount still running about.

A month back Uncle claimed he shot 44 one eve. I was working there next morning and I'd say he'd brought 44 not killed them.

Shot 5 rabbits on Tuesday, 12 on Weds and 19 on Thurs evening. Just .22 rifle out of my truck window.
You wouldn't know I'd shot one for the amount still running about.

A month back Uncle claimed he shot 44 one eve. I was working there next morning and I'd say he'd brought 44 not killed them.
The most I've shot in a evening was 33 this some work skinning and cleaning them. Gave 29 to the dog and made a nice curry with rest.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

The most I've shot in a evening was 33 this some work skinning and cleaning them. Gave 29 to the dog and made a nice curry with rest.

Does the dog go on a 5 day rabbit binge when you're on the beer :D

Shameful as it may be but I just leave them where they are. I have done the sending them to market thing years back but it isn't worth the fuel money to get there and back.
Nobody wants rabbits these days.

I don't doubt he could of shot 44 but I had already shot 6 in that same field earlier that evening. When I shoot a dozen rabbits you will see them on the floor for a few days, when he shoots 44 you might see a couple the next day. I'm not sure he knows the difference between shooting at something and actually killing it. :D

Does the dog go on a 5 day rabbit binge when you're on the beer :D
No but she wouldn't eat them raw ffs had to boil them for her. Same dog get cooked chcikens a day or two a week. It's better fed than me.

Question. Can pet rabbits get the mixo

We are told there are people struggling to put food on the table in this country and kids going hungry to school. With the amount of rabbits, pigeons and deer out there some joined up thinking is needed.

Rabbits are scarce around here same as [MENTION=4579]jf 850[/MENTION] but crows and pigeons are at epidemic levels. I've a field of barley in a field in front of the house and at the end is a big ash tree and I swear ta jaysus it does be bending with pigeons at times.

Back