Common Sense

I can have some dim moments,but I know what you mean-there seems to be a lot of people out there with a lack of it.Saw this on a poster once...

"Common sense-so rare its almost a super power"

0ur local vet was interviewing young vets to join the practice a while back one day i asked him how it was goin,he said their are plenty of vets but hard to one with common sence

weeeeellllllllll in the army thre is a saying that a lot off officers most, if not all who have had a blinding education can:

tell you the theory for working out the circumference, diameter and fluid volume of a wine bottle.....................

BUT be unable to find a cork screw and open said bottle........:whistling:

weeeeellllllllll in the army thre is a saying that a lot off officers most, if not all who have had a blinding education can:

tell you the theory for working out the circumference, diameter and fluid volume of a wine bottle.....................

BUT be unable to find a cork screw and open said bottle........:whistling:

When I was in the army we called them ones 'educated idiots' :whistling:

SM,
i have to call some of them sir, the occasional one Boss and the odd individual Pratt..

worse phrase in the army??????

"Sar' major would'nt be a good idea if............?"

answered by "No Sir it wouldnt!!!!!!!!"

common sense eh!.

it dose seem to have got scarce indeed, for some reason its not as abundant in the younger generation, its a quality that will get you loads of places imo.

its not something that you can study for or even buy, its just passed down perhaps, but not always either, it could be said its one of the great mysteries how you end up either having it or not.
i never known anyone to tell me where it comes from despite asking loads out of curiosity over the years.
long ago it seemed more prevalent in the older generation, not that its gained with years of experience or anything, i believe ya either have it or ya dont.

a student that gets straight A's (a fine accomplishment in itself no doubt) isnt exactly the person you might want to employ in a sense.
they mightnt be able to open a can of beans without cutting themselves, but could tell you the scientific composition of the said can and beans inside it.
might suit some but would have its own pitfalls in its own way especially in the farm/machinery sector.

its also a possibility that more people have it than it would seem, but more so that they dont want to apply it to anything.
is it a case that we have a new generation of people that feel they dont need to think for themselves when there is so much technology around doing it for them?
if not whats makin it scarce.

are we slowly turning into sheep that just do as they are told?.
which in itself is contradictory because most young people seem to think they know it all.

this dosent apply to everyone, but it seems to be more and more of a majority as time goes on.

Common sense is something which is learnt by being exposed to different experiences, by seeing, doing and learning. I have by far the most out of most of my friends and I put it down to being on farms since I was young. The others who have lived under mummies apron strings and have never had to fend for themselves dont seem to be capable of thinking for themselves or outside the box. its really very sad. Especially where I am at uni - its very academic and not many people have life experiences, those who do generally arnt English. Interestingly a lot of the Eastern Europeans have common sense.

If you do have it though, and can demonstrate it in interviews, its looks very good to employers. :thumbup1:

Shaun the sheep is a propper clever chap, agree with that:laugh:
The first 2 are his run-about, the last is the "Real" Shaun the sheep:sneaky2:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back