Gate hangers

nashmach

Hanging a few gates here today and trying of course to get it to suit everyway :D

Normal gate hangers on pillars will allow around 220 degrees of movement, we want something with 270 degrees to wrap around a shed.

Before we start welding anyone have had any good ideas?

there would be 2 options
1 put the hinge sticking out at 135 degrees at the corner
2 put the hinge close ish to the corner and weld the other bit at 90 degrees on the gate so that it swings 270 degrees on the pin

there would be 2 options
2 put the hinge close ish to the corner and weld the other bit at 90 degrees on the gate so that it swings 270 degrees on the pin

Thanks defender, I should have said we want to try and keep it in close as it is by a lane but I don't think that will pan out:D

Second idea might work :thumbup:

Thanks defender:thumbup:

the first one would only have the pins sticking out by the width of the gate so not very far either and should be no more than 3 or 4 inches at most

How about using pipe for the post & weld hinges on pipe that slides over the other one, if you know what I mean?

attachment.php
This guy hangs one gate on another. Farm Ideas has more than 4000 practical solutions... is always wanting more but can provide a solution to many problems

Attachments

• doublegate.jpg
    doublegate.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 474
Do as Farmideas pictures, but ignore the rest of the rusty gate apart from the upright.
Weld a set of hooks on one side of 4' of 2" box, and eyes on the other, then hang the galv gate on.
I've done this on a few, loads of movement.

Or And this is a rare one, tie the gate up with a bit of twine or for a more durable finish a bit of wire, very rare cough to see that cough done.

Or And this is a rare one, tie the gate up with a bit of twine or for a more durable finish a bit of wire, very rare cough to see that cough done.

That would have been my Dad 5 years ago alright.

Have done a few gaps each year and now everything bar one is securely hanging and fastened, makes life way easier :thumbup:

Went with the 135 degree job on one gate after and the other one wouldn't work that way as the ground doesn't suit so hung it as normal.

Thanks for the tips.

Sounds like my father :thumbdown: :blushing:

I'm gently nagging him though. Its a slow and drawn out process at this stage yet :lol: Getting there though.

tis hard to teach an old dog new tricks, ive given up tbh.:lol:

I must pay some respect to my mother in this respect, she is a keen walker and was finding the roads more dangerous and so started walking blocks of the land here. Wouldn't be fair on her opening Dad's double tied twines or hoping over gates:rolleyes:

That quickly changed plus a few feet added to them all as well....

I must pay some respect to my mother in this respect, she is a keen walker and was finding the roads more dangerous and so started walking blocks of the land here. Wouldn't be fair on her opening Dad's double tied twines or hoping over gates:rolleyes:

That quickly changed plus a few feet added to them all as well....

Gaps widened too so :thumbup:

If I had a tracked machine and a post driver around here for a week.......:whistle: :whistle: and send the folks off on a holiday for the same week

Gaps widened too so :thumbup:

If I had a tracked machine and a post driver around here for a week.......:whistle: :whistle: and send the folks off on a holiday for the same week
Know a family that grew grain & a few spuds, the folks went on holiday for a week & when they returned the sons had the spud land drilled in wheat :thumbup:. No spuds since.

My old man is a stickler for having gates hanging properly but the uncle who I farm with is the exact opposite. Same goes for a gap, he'd just stick a gate or pallet in it. I'm slowly but surely getting the gates hung on rsj's and mains fencing the whole place. I found that barbed wire with big cattle is a bit of a dead loss without a strand of mains as well so now I just use mains. Cheaper and easier to put up as well and draws less blood.

hang the gate on the inside rear corner of the post, the post gets in the way of it opening.

Dunno if they can be gotten off the shelf tho.

checkout genfitt or iitc websites, most hardware shops will be able to order stuff in from them

Attachments

• gate.jpg
    gate.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 83
there would be 2 options

Do as Farmideas pictures, but ignore the rest of the rusty gate apart from the upright.
Weld a set of hooks on one side of 4' of 2" box, and eyes on the other, then hang the galv gate on.
I've done this on a few, loads of movement.

[MENTION=5]defender[/MENTION] [MENTION=1895]Nearly[/MENTION] do you have any photos of them hinges, has anybody else got any other ideas for a 270 to 290 degree gate hanger?

4.5in round pipe?

That idea did cross my mind, would a 4.5in pipe carry two 16ft heavy duty gates, I never seen it done up close but how would you attach the gate to the post without creating two hinge points, I don't want to weld on the gate as it would be an existing galvanised gate

That idea did cross my mind, would a 4.5in pipe carry two 16ft heavy duty gates, I never seen it done up close but how would you attach the gate to the post without creating two hinge points, I don't want to weld on the gate as it would be an existing galvanised gate

I think personally it would struggle but some of the engineering companies are doing it that way e.g. Condon's.

You can get a kind of a collar to go down on the post I think. You could also cement the heel in?

[MENTION=5]defender[/MENTION] [MENTION=1895]Nearly[/MENTION] do you have any photos of them hinges, has anybody else got any other ideas for a 270 to 290 degree gate hanger?

2 pics below show my prototype 359 degree hinge ;) in my cattle shed this spring. It's been painted now, honest.

4x2 box section, 4 weld on eyes, 2 with M20 bolts welded in and lock nuts.

Attachments

• 20150324_135105.jpg
    20150324_135105.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 114
  • 20150324_140426.jpg
    20150324_140426.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 116
2 pics below show my prototype 359 degree hinge ;) in my cattle shed this spring. It's been painted now, honest.

4x2 box section, 4 weld on eyes, 2 with M20 bolts welded in and lock nuts.

Neat idea that . One question what way have you the gate latched when closed . Would a standard latch not open if cattle put pressure on the gate as it could pivot on the hinge .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's fastened with a chain and a big clip, not exactly made to measure.

Works well though. ;)

Back