New Trailer Regs

Only a small cable which should break after it has applied the handbrake so doesn't need too strong a connection, that's the theory anyway, attach it to the top link pin here

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

Read that last week, pure daft when a truck runs them parallel, another daft bit is trailers need automatic slack adjusters on the brakes if going over 40 kmh, no such requirement in the truck regs.
Trucks do require six weekly checks I suppose instead of needing the auto adjusters?

Maybe I'm getting confused.

As in putting a cable to pull the handbrake in the event of the trailer detaching?

What do you attach that to on the tractor?

That's it I got a few in broughans to put onto the older trailers il take a pic on Monday of them although there not fitted yet . The wire rope from the handle to the tractor would be light enough . Attack it in the top link would be the best place

Does anyone know where these breakaway chains can be bought (online or Kildare/Carlow area), I have an old 10x6 redrock trailer (no brakes) that I use to collect 4 tonne of fertiliser, I guess it will need a chain ( and a new hand break lever !)

thanks,
mick.

Does anyone know where these breakaway chains can be bought (online or Kildare/Carlow area), I have an old 10x6 redrock trailer (no brakes) that I use to collect 4 tonne of fertiliser, I guess it will need a chain ( and a new hand break lever !)

thanks,
mick.

What weight is that trailer empty?

Only reason I ask is that if the 4t of fertiliser plus the weight of the trailer exceeds 5t you would need trailer brakes too.

What weight is that trailer empty?

Only reason I ask is that if the 4t of fertiliser plus the weight of the trailer exceeds 5t you would need trailer brakes too.
Not sure what weight it would be but I assume it would be between 1t and 2t, tractor is 5t so not under any pressure, I only use the trailer a few days a year so not looking to spend much on it.

Only a small cable which should break after it has applied the handbrake so doesn't need too strong a connection, that's the theory anyway, attach it to the top link pin here

But the hand brake on most trailers requires a few pulls until it comes tight?

I would say that the handbrake cables will have to be kept tight without having the brakes actually rubbing.
at best you would get a 1/4 of a pull on the ratchet, i dont know about you but after spending the guts of 1k on my lowloader brakes having them that far wound up id be too close for my comfort tbh.

at best you would get a 1/4 of a pull on the ratchet, i dont know about you but after spending the guts of 1k on my lowloader brakes having them that far wound up id be too close for my comfort tbh.

Well in fairness tinny your supposed to tighten the brakes until there locked and then slacken back by a half turn so there fairly tight anyway.

Well in fairness tinny your supposed to tighten the brakes until there locked and then slacken back by a half turn so there fairly tight anyway.
i get that bit, but dont forget all the slack in the cable joints and on the spool, to have it where one quarter turn would pinch up the brakes tight enough to bring a trailer to a halt would mean your cables are going to have to be pretty taught, which in my world means that your brakes altho are set not to rub the first day will mean your going to have rubbing brakes own the line, and excessive shoe wear.
we would all like to think the day we redo the brakes on anything that its a job done and dusted, and even the best of work will still suffer giving the conditions it operates in.

on the other hand, who is to say it has to be so bang on, it wont work right but it ill look good, if someone wants to go that road then thats ok by me too.

i get that bit, but dont forget all the slack in the cable joints and on the spool, to have it where one quarter turn would pinch up the brakes tight enough to bring a trailer to a halt would mean your cables are going to have to be pretty taught, which in my world means that your brakes altho are set not to rub the first day will mean your going to have rubbing brakes own the line, and excessive shoe wear.
we would all like to think the day we redo the brakes on anything that its a job done and dusted, and even the best of work will still suffer giving the conditions it operates in.

on the other hand, who is to say it has to be so bang on, it wont work right but it ill look good, if someone wants to go that road then thats ok by me too.

I get what your saying alright tinny but if a cute hoor of an RSA officer pulls me or you and goes to pull on the handbrake and one pull doesn't do it we're in trouble because the breakaway job isn't going to work either. Unless Ive missed something?:confused:

I get what your saying alright tinny but if a cute hoor of an RSA officer pulls me or you and goes to pull on the handbrake and one pull doesn't do it we're in trouble because the breakaway job isn't going to work either. Unless Ive missed something?:confused:
thats exactly what would happen, the problem is that when you have them that wound up your in danger of rubbing the brakes, each time you would break they wouldnt want to fully return to home because they would compensate for how tight you had them initially before use.
id be pretty sure if i had my lowloader handbrake ratchet set up to be that tight, id have warm hubs by the time id get to where i was going anyways.

the best solution here would be the likes of the quadrant type hand brake unit, it has a larger radius then the barrel type ratchet unit which id be most common now.
the quadrant one would pull a longer stroke and in turn would apply the brakes enough to work well but at the same time leaving some slack on the cables under normal use.

How much would a hydraulic expansion bottle set up be? Had a machine arrive with it on last place i worked seemed a good idea on trailers

the best solution here would be the likes of the quadrant type hand brake unit, it has a larger radius then the barrel type ratchet unit which id be most common now.
the quadrant one would pull a longer stroke and in turn would apply the brakes enough to work well but at the same time leaving some slack on the cables under normal use.

I was thinking the same, the barrell one would only pull 50mm of cable at best at a time even if the barrell was loaded with 2 rounds of cable, on the quadrant type if the cable attachment point was moved out the handle a bit you could pull 150 mm at a stroke, more so if you were pulling it on with 150hp................:D

image.jpeg Said I'd stick this up in here, this arrived this morning from good old eBay! A roll is running €120-150 over here, I'd the 2 50m rolls landed into the yard for €98odd euro! Sellers name is ie6nika ships from Bulgaria if anyone is after some! Think I looked up ece104 to get them, there costing €37 +shipping

View attachment 35542 Said I'd stick this up in here, this arrived this morning from good old eBay! A roll is running €120-150 over here, I'd the 2 50m rolls landed into the yard for €98odd euro! Sellers name is ie6nika ships from Bulgaria if anyone is after some! Think I looked up ece104 to get them, there costing €37 +shipping
What width is it?

Back