Discount on Contracting bills

Ozzy Scott

What sort of discount would members receive and give when it comes to settling up bills. I have a few ongoing bills with contractors that are now due to be fully tidied up for 2015. The work is spread evenly enough throughout the 12 months of the year with silage and crops plants/harvesting being the spikes. payment would be ongoing in installments throughout the year and within the 30-60day credit terms.

Im not in the mind for screwing guys over as a fully functioning contractor is most important to me, whether I'm making money or not is my business. So considering every job goes on the list at fully rate what sort of discount would you expect to give for a sizable enough amount of work throughout the year when it comes to closing off the year? Just interested, havnt had any fallings out with lads our anything :sweatdrop:

Now I'm not a contractor, but the only possible scenario I'd consider when giving a discount is if you were paying me going out the gate!To be honest, I think 30-60 days is even too long! I don't see why else one would? It's a business at the end of the day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

we have a few like u but we are only small contractors and we work it aas money management, have it organised that a few men pay all once a year-springtime when we calving cows and also the ones who pay a little and often do so then too, discount it what we view it to be no set rate and might be a an hour or two spent handling cattle beofre doing work, ie shifting cattle to start work not being billed or worming them at this time too, easy come easy go.

for men that are looking to pay but we put off they get discount of few pounds or depending on work, but if we call and u dont have it then no discount, unless stated before work starts, if it starts.

im not in a big way but if a man is paying me going out the gate he will get a bit of discount, it wouldnt be massive but he will be happy.
if i have to wait to the end of the year then its pretty much the price of it tbh.
the lad that gives me all his work id give a bit of discount on but again it wouldnt be massive either.

my take on it would be that the job was done right, and left tidy and done when it was wanted done, then its worth paying for.
prices round here would be well enough hammered down with so many about so there isnt much to take off when all is said and done.

Seen contractors giving discounts on early or pre booking of work they must have a crystal ball we don't know where fuel price or silage wrap is going to be in a few months time.

I would think your contractor will be giving you good rates for the work he does if you're giving him all your contracting work. If he turns up to carry out these jobs when you want him to and carry's out work of a high standard, this will be more acceptable than any discount.

yeah I'm happy with the work, but when its allot of work - many tens of thousands, guaranteed at the start of the season, and paid for fairly quickly (30 days around here would be considered very prompt payment) and charged at full rates I personally would expect 5% discount when paying the final installment. So say silage harvest charged at 115 to that man with only 30ac, I would expect to have to pay at max 108, probably 105 considering the contractor is get 20 or 30k of additional work throught the year

yeah I'm happy with the work, but when its allot of work - many tens of thousands, guaranteed at the start of the season, and paid for fairly quickly (30 days around here would be considered very prompt payment) and charged at full rates I personally would expect 5% discount when paying the final installment. So say silage harvest charged at 115 to that man with only 30ac, I would expect to have to pay at max 108, probably 105 considering the contractor is get 20 or 30k of additional work throught the year
if you were up here you could get your silage cut for €90 an acre and be up 25 an acre before youd start at all..

i get your point of trying to save a few quid, and i get the bit where if its tens of thousands as you say then all you can do is ask him, if he can id say he might.
it will depend on how handy the job is too, or if its more hassle to do the same job, god knows there is times id like to charge an odd lad just for the hassle of getin it done.

very much agree with above post of btd-6

I know of a very good (V BIG)tillage farmer ,who give all the work to 1 contractor for stubble to stubble total job.....
after the 1st year when settle up the account the contractor said "shur leave it at the even money"
To which the farmer said "no !! just give me the same excellent service and that will do me"

This relationship is going at least 15 years now

Always thought what a smart farmer ....his always has his crops sow/sprayed /spread/cut on time....which has to be worth far more that the discount
AS 1 late spray could cost 000s !!

I use know of a man that used pay for the job well before it was ever even done, contractor seemly used get frightened when they would see him ringing as they knew they had to drop everything and put him at top of the list.

Im not looking for any special treatment, just want the work done, but wanting to get a decent deal into the bargain. For a contractor being able to mark into his dairy at the start of the year 20 - 30k of work

Just to clarify
I don't think that you are been unfair if the work is easy and you are not looking for much special treatment ......and the rates seem to have a bit of room...

If your letting him know in plenty of advance.
(I know that's not always possible)
If it's a big lot of work in one shot as you say it is and your paying him every 30 days then I'd say he probably will be giving you a discount at the end.
For all you know tho he could be knocking off the odd few hours here and there

For all you know tho he could be knocking off the odd few hours here and there
you let your customers keep your hours for you do you.

we work a different system up here where the contractor keeps his own hours but maybe we are doing it all wrong...

anyways, back to the real world.
there are a few real contractors on this forum that are staying very quiet.

we work a different system up here where the contractor keeps his own hours but maybe we are doing it all wrong...

I think he means the contractor :)

I think he means the contractor :)
personally i dont be randomly knocking off hours here and there when im working on a job for someone.
i dont see anyone else round here working for the craic of it either.

personally i dont be randomly knocking off hours here and there when im working on a job for someone.
Thats fair enough, no need to suggest he wasnt a real contractor though.
I think it became clear the last time that you lads locked horns that members were sick of it.
Its duly noted that you fired the first shot today. ;)

Would you give a discount for a prompt payer though? Compared to someone you have to chase for money owed to you. It's clear he meant the contractor anyway but if someone had a load of baling work in one place for you to do, would it be got at a better rate compared to someone who only had an acre to bale?

Would you give a discount for a prompt payer though? Compared to someone you have to chase for money owed to you. It's clear he meant the contractor anyway but if someone had a load of baling work in one place for you to do, would it be got at a better rate compared to someone who only had an acre to bale?

Personally speaking for prompt/early payers then why not they clearly appreciate the efforts the contractor goes to. Slow and late payers no

Thats fair enough, no need to suggest he wasnt a real contractor though.
I think it became clear the last time that you lads locked horns that members were sick of it.
Its duly noted that you fired the first shot today. ;)
i wouldnt class myself as a real contractor nor did i say he wasnt.
what i did say was that there was real contractor's on this forum that are saying nothing.

take all the notes you want mike.

what i did say was that there was real contractor's on this forum that are saying nothing.

You didn't say it, but you implied it. It's all noted anyway, next snipe and you can enjoy a bit of gardening leave.

I believe you..

Notes are more for other peoples benefit.

No never said I let the customer keep the hours.
That rules the two of us out so if the real ones are staying quite.
Define real contractor for me?
No?
So if you were in with a dump trailer for 52 hours you wouldn't knock it down to 50?
Or if you made 303 bales you wouldn't knock it down to 300?
I have a bit of news for you and it might come as a complete shock I've a funny feeling but everything you do isn't the right way of doing it.
Nor is mine for that matter.
Tbh I'm getting fairly sick of these pointless arguments and everyone else is too.
The boys are after going to alot of effort here to upgrade the fourm and are making a dam good hand of running it.
I for one am not going to be going back and forth with pointless shite that doesn't add to it in anyway.
For a grown man you act like a child.
I know your fairly stubborn but you'd imagine you'd have copped by now that I'm not going to bow down infront of you can't have a sainted picture of you on the wall.
Its ridiculous. I might be completely wrong here but it's as easy get on with me as it is to argue.
For the sake of this fourm and it's members I'm going to put it out there that I won't go out of my way to get on your case.
If you can be as big a man as you let onto be you'd do the same.
It's an very informative place and too many have gone down the road of falling out and loosing members.
Im going to agree to be civil if you will.

You didn't say it, but you implied it. It's all noted anyway, next snipe and you can enjoy a bit of gardening leave.

here lads, this isnt school, its not as if im going to be quaking in my boots because i havnt got my homework done...
that day is long gone.

and dont be threatening me with this crap, its a forum on the net, its not as if my world is going to come crashing down if im turfed off here now is it.
And if your that keen on handing out some leave, then do it to fcuk and dont be hanging about.
indeed, dont give me a half a job either, ban me for life while yer at it.
i might miss the repetitiveness of it for a bit but id say ill get over it.

here lads, this isnt school, its not as if im going to be quaking in my boots because i havnt got my homework done...
that day is long gone.

and dont be threatening me with this crap, its a forum on the net, its not as if my world is going to come crashing down if im turfed off here now is it.
And if your that keen on handing out some leave, then do it to fcuk and dont be hanging about.
indeed, dont give me a half a job either, ban me for life while yer at it.
i might miss the repetitiveness of it for a bit but id say ill get over it.

Well it didn't take long for the new look forum to have the shine dulled a bit. Thanks

Back