Cutting steel dead straight

johndeere6920s

I have a job comming up and the tolerance will be low on what you can be out.
How do lads cut 4/5 ft lengths dead straight.
I normally measure every 6 inches and draw a line between them all with a trailed edge but Id still end up slightly out with the grinder.

I normally measure every 6 inches and draw a line between them all with a trailed edge but Id still end up slightly out with the grinder.

More detail please . What type of steel are you talking about ? sheet , flats , tubular,

If you need it to be pretty bang on itd be worth gettin a lump of bar, say 16mm by 16mm of 50*12 or something and clamping it up and running the grinder along the edge of it gently

As mike said so clamp a piece of flat or angle and use that as a guide for the cutting disc . It`s never an exact science mind that way either . Any engineering work`s near you a plate shear would cut them perfectly .

Can you get some engineering place to cut them from a sheet of steel with either gas or plasma, I am getting curved pieces cut out from a sheet of steel, I am drawing it up on Auto-cad and e-mail it to them, they can cut whatever shape you want.

A straight edge . Maybe a long spirit level
Measure from the good edge at both ends and in the middle .Mark along the straight edge with a sharp piece of hard (engineers chalk)
and cut.
As others have said ,seriously consider getting them guillotined. Cutting with a grinder is hardship , it eats discs ,leaves a hoor of an edge and isn't accurate.

I have a plasma but can't get it to cut near clean enough.
What thickness will that evolution thing cut?
And what sort of thickness will an engineering shop shear?

I have a plasma but can't get it to cut near clean enough.
What thickness will that evolution thing cut?
And what sort of thickness will an engineering shop shear?
I think there would be smoke rising out of that Evolution one by the time you would have 5ft of 6mm cut.
If going with a grinder (and an Eng shop would be a much better plan as said) something like a 4.5 - 5 inch grinder might offer better control an accuracy.

I think there would be smoke rising out of that Evolution one by the time you would have 5ft of 6mm cut.
If going with a grinder (and an Eng shop would be a much better plan as said) something like a 4.5 - 5 inch grinder might offer better control an accuracy.
Usually use the 4.5 inch to cut corners and the 6 on straights.

I would source an engineering/fabrication shop with a guillotine, .....clean cut, accurate, and done in few minutes..........you will save yourself times and have a superior finish.

http://www.evolutionpowertools.com/us/steel/evosaw230.php would be a better bet from the evolution stable. I bought one when we were making the auger bucket. 6mm in decent lengths would be about it's limit but with a new/just-sharpened blade it will do it. Clamp or tack-weld on a guide and away you go. Leaves a beautiful edge.

That said.... Your plasma setup right and on dry air should do the finest if you run it along a chalk mark with a bit of angle as a guide. 6mm, most of the time, doesn't need to be cut half as clean as 4 and down in order to be welded.

Back