New compressor.....

Draper are a decent budget make for tools, (they also make the halfords pro range), not sure about the electrical stuff but i would imagine it's ok. he wants 550, and they're 700 new, so for an extra 150 i'd buy a new one and have the full warranty.

Do they? I thought Teng did.
I'm not arguing as I wouldn't know either way, but wouldn't think Draper were up to the Halfords pro standard.

I'm not arguing as I wouldn't know either way, but wouldn't think Draper were up to the Halfords pro standard.
you could be surprised, draper make their own tools and are involved one way or another with...... metabo, elora, knippex and dewalt tools.
not sure about halfords stuff tho.

Draper stuff is actually pretty good, draper exper is on a par with the halfords pro, and actually very similar, almost identical. Not sure where i got the idea they make the halfords stuff, think it was on a thread on halfords gear on BFF, so, as i read it on the internets it must be true.

Seriously though, i've got some draper socket sets, well actually i have only got the 3/4 drive one now as the 3/8th one was in the landrover when it got knicked, but both were good sets that have taken a lot of hammer, the ratchets are no good, but you just throw the ratchet away and buy a decent one.

For my money they are rebadged GearWrench tools, which are popular across the pond. Made by Danaher, who conveniently have an OEM hand tools business. http://www.danaher.com/business/strategic_division.asp?key=127

Look at the ratchet spanners from Halfords
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_179263_langId_-1_categoryId_165572

And the equivalent GearWrench ratchet set.
http://www.gearwrench.com/catalog/wrenches/ratcheting/combination/setdetails.jsp?part=9417

The profile is exactly the same, as is the finish. If you look through the catalogue then the same type of spanners are available in both shops, including some ive never seen anywhere else than Halfords.

Mystery solved. :001_cool:

For my money they are rebadged GearWrench tools, which are popular across the pond. Made by Danaher, who conveniently have an OEM hand tools business. http://www.danaher.com/business/strategic_division.asp?key=127

Look at the ratchet spanners from Halfords
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_179263_langId_-1_categoryId_165572

And the equivalent GearWrench ratchet set.
http://www.gearwrench.com/catalog/wrenches/ratcheting/combination/setdetails.jsp?part=9417

The profile is exactly the same, as is the finish. If you look through the catalogue then the same type of spanners are available in both shops, including some ive never seen anywhere else than Halfords.

Mystery solved. :001_cool:

It would seem that way!

The "who make Halfords Tools" debate has been running for years.
A friend who works for Snap on told me this, Halfords used to sell Teng, that partnership came to an end, halfords wernt best pleased, allegedly, and since then, they use, Brittol, Sykes p & SnapOn and apparently if you look at the serial stamp it tells you which co made that set.
He would advise any one to buy the Halfords pro range! Rather than the Snap on name!

The "who make Halfords Tools" debate has been running for years.
A friend who works for Snap on told me this, Halfords used to sell Teng, that partnership came to an end, halfords wernt best pleased, allegedly, and since then, they use, Brittol, Sykes p & SnapOn and apparently if you look at the serial stamp it tells you which co made that set.
He would advise any one to buy the Halfords pro range! Rather than the Snap on name!
read up a bit on that too and it would seem your right, some say facom are involved as well, but posts strongly point the finger at snap on for making their pro range.

mind you, they are all probably cumin out of the one hole in china.

read up a bit on that too and it would seem your right, some say facom are involved as well, but posts strongly point the finger at snap on for making their pro range.

mind you, they are all probably cumin out of the one hole in china.

I'd say they probably come from the far east, where on manufacturer is building them to order for several uk retailers, hence the similarity between different brands and packaging. it doesn't really matter as long as the quality is there mind. i bought a beta air gun, and it had made in taiwan on it when i opened the box, seems ok though.

Any opinions on a Clarke?

clarke compressors are very good :thumbup1:
got one about 4 years ago and very happy with it .
the engineer who has to check it for the insurance has now said the air tank only has to be checked every 2 years instead of yearly as most of the lesser makes do

the clarke stuff can be spot on at times,
as for their air guns they would do most but the better makes kick a bigger punch.
i have a clarke 250 mig here and by god it has welded some stuff, its been slightly modded a bit but would give a murex of the same size a run for its money to be fair.

iirc its the pump on the compressor that you have to watch for, a mate bought one a while back, he had done his homework on them but i cant rem what the difference was.

I'd say they probably come from the far east, where on manufacturer is building them to order for several uk retailers, hence the similarity between different brands and packaging. it doesn't really matter as long as the quality is there mind. i bought a beta air gun, and it had made in taiwan on it when i opened the box, seems ok though.

i have some of the beta spanners and squares here, good stuff imo.

This might well sound pretty stupid but the other day I blew the dust out of that shed I am messing with by putting the Henry vacuum cleaner on blow.
It was a damned sight better than my airline, which in itself is pretty good.
It blew the dust out with ease and i then went on to stripping the whitewash off the walls with it.
I was extremely impressed. It is about 4 years old and only cost about £25

ps. I only discovered you could put it on blow by accident. As it was when i went to hoover the soot up after sweeping my chimney it wasn't a very pleasant discovery at the time. :lol:

How do you get them on blow ?:confused1:

i have some of the beta spanners and squares here, good stuff imo.

I tend to go for beta stuff when buying new, it's good quality and comparable with snap on, not sure how good they are on the guarantee though, i sent my 3/4 ratchet back and had it fixed but that was ages ago. also the firm i dealt with regularly has changed hand, and are not so good any more, and don't carry a decent stock of beta gear.

most of my stuff is either beta, britool, or king dick, with a few bits of snap on thrown in.

I tend to go for beta stuff when buying new, it's good quality and comparable with snap on, not sure how good they are on the guarantee though, i sent my 3/4 ratchet back and had it fixed but that was ages ago. also the firm i dealt with regularly has changed hand, and are not so good any more, and don't carry a decent stock of beta gear.

most of my stuff is either beta, britool, or king dick, with a few bits of snap on thrown in.

I refuse to by snap on new cos of the finance built in

i always liked the gedore stuff, specially the spanners, good fat shaft on them so they didnt dig into your hands as much.
the elora stuff is good too.

hard to get the sykes stuff round here anymore for some reason, suppose its too pricey for the mainstream folk.

Can any one tell me how cfm or cubic feet per minute is calculated? I am guessing it is a function of the horsepower and the tank size which depends also on the compressor part.

Reason I ask is I have seen 100l versions with similar or maybe 2 cfm less than 200l versions which are much cheaper!

Can any one tell me how cfm or cubic feet per minute is calculated? I am guessing it is a function of the horsepower and the tank size which depends also on the compressor part.

Reason I ask is I have seen 100l versions with similar or maybe 2 cfm less than 200l versions which are much cheaper!
here she is, the one for you nash.
http://www.sjebbandsons.com/sip-compressor-200-litre-3-hp-cw-airtools-472-p.asp

all you need to get going.

its not a space shuttle your buying hi.

The spec of a compressor stated as cfm is purely the displacement, but when the cfm of tools is quoted it normally means the amount of air used at a certain pressure ie.80psi.
These are two very different things and are very confusing.
A good example is a DA that claims to use 4cfm http://www.sjebbandsons.com/6-dual-action-air-sander-614-p.asp There aint a cat in Hells chance that a 6cfm compressor would keep it going for more than about a minute.
Get yourself a 200litre tank and as much cfm as you can. My compressor is 23cfm, 200litres. Only one I have ever known that actually switches off and waits for the DA to catch up. :001_cool: (of course massive bodyshop compressors would do)
Another alternative is to use a big propane bottle as an extra receiver which is fine but they stink forever more!

Back