Starting trouble.

Right so the 956xl Case tractor has become a bit of a pain to start.
There's a high speed starter with not much done already fitted previously, a 1000amp Bosch battery.
Had the multimeter at it today and the battery is reading 13.96. The alternator is reading 14 even.
One minute with the jump leads on it and she's away. Even if it's been running for an hour or so and turn it off she won't start after. Just like it's not spinning fast enough without the jump leads. Should be that way with the fairly fresh starter and the big battery.
Any ideas.

Is it high seed starter or high kw one? .I Have two high kw one on two six fiats one starts very fast on 850amp battery other there lag as it turn then it starts it on 1000amps battery both new batterys , i'd look at ur leads then get starter checked before go to deep

Is it high seed starter or high kw one? .I Have two high kw one on two six fiats one starts very fast on 850amp battery other there lag as it turn then it starts it on 1000amps battery both new batterys , i'd look at ur leads then get starter checked before go to deep
Yea it's the high spin starter.
Surprised about the fiat's. Have a 5 cylinder 880dt here and she'd start on a pencil battery literally. There renowned for easy starting any that I've known of that is.

Is it getting Diesel when you turn it over . Is there any smoke out of exhaust .
Is the stop control sticking shut but only opening when it gets extra speed or battery power . Is it a cable stop or ignition stop .
I remember seeing an injector pump that used need a tap with a piece of wood to go back running .

There's a high speed starter with not much done already fitted previously, a 1000amp Bosch battery.
Had the multimeter at it today and the battery is reading 13.96. The alternator is reading 14 even.
One minute with the jump leads on it and she's away. Even if it's been running for an hour or so and turn it off she won't start after. Just like it's not spinning fast enough without the jump leads. Should be that way with the fairly fresh starter and the big battery.
Any ideas.

I'm not an expert, but we had similar issues with the MF 168 in the past. Hard started when it was cold, but the same when she warmed up. It was the starter. They can give bother with very little work done. As pointed out above, the earth could be the problem too. If the earth is ok, I'd be taking off the starter and getting it checked.

Is it getting Diesel when you turn it over . Is there any smoke out of exhaust .
Is the stop control sticking shut but only opening when it gets extra speed or battery power . Is it a cable stop or ignition stop .
I remember seeing an injector pump that used need a tap with a piece of wood to go back running .
Reply yea she is letting plenty of smoke out of the exhaust when turning so she's getting diesel. She's cable on the stopper alright.
Had that same thing with a injector pump here when I was a young laddie. Then one day it just stopped working.

I'm not an expert, but we had similar issues with the MF 168 in the past. Hard started when it was cold, but the same when she warmed up. It was the starter. They can give bother with very little work done. As pointed out above, the earth could be the problem too. If the earth is ok, I'd be taking off the starter and getting it checked.
If it's the starter the fella that done it will be getting a bollicking because he pushed hard to get me to fit that one at the time. All I can rightly remember was it was bloody expensive to as it was a high spin. Hardly done 200 hours with the auld fella since :sad2::sad2:

Dodgy earth, even putting the jump lead between the negative and a bare spot on the chassis would tell, when you are using the jumpleads you might be getting around a bad connection if you are putting the negative lead onto the chassis instead of the battery pole.
Tried going direct from negative pole to a ground point today and it was even worse. Tried again with the negative lead back on the battery but to no avail.:scratchhead:

how old is the battery? id test the cca see what it is compared to what it should be.a neighbour recently had a starting prob, fully charged battery the next morning tractor wouldnt start, charged battery and tested it then good for a couple of days and back to the same, gave him a battery of mine it has slightly less amps as his one, it's starting fine now.

Beginning to sound like the battery is at fault.
I did try the battery on the Fiat but then again that would start on a pencil battery.
Must try a different battery in the case to see though.
If it is the battery back she will go as she cost around €200 November 15.

how old is the battery? id test the cca see what it is compared to what it should be.a neighbour recently had a starting prob, fully charged battery the next morning tractor wouldnt start, charged battery and tested it then good for a couple of days and back to the same, gave him a battery of mine it has slightly less amps as his one, it's starting fine now.
Excuse the ignorance here but what's the cca mean ??

Current cranking amps

Charge the battery over night and go to your battery center
They will drop test it and tell you its condition and capacity

Any ideas.
I think your problem might be the starter ,i think alot of starter's are spurious .I fitted a new starter a few years ago to a 390 and it broke my heart before i pulled it off .It started no bother in the summer but once temp. dipped below 8 degrees it did not spin fast enough ,changed battery it improved slightly ,changed diesel filters ,changed heater plug, same ole crack and like your story she would start with the jump leads after a few minutes .I finally fitted a electra (iscra) high speed starter and now she starts with bare turn of key and no heating .

Take the battery terminals off and clean them properly so they shine ,the braided cable on the earth is bad for not passing enough current so jump lead helper will be worth trying. If battery cables have been made hot too often the copper will lose some of the conductivity and wont carry the power needed to start tractor , new cables may sort your problem but get cables soldered in to fittings to get full power through them

Yea it's the high spin starter.
Surprised about the fiat's. Have a 5 cylinder 880dt here and she'd start on a pencil battery literally. There renowned for easy starting any that I've known of that is.

Post a picture of the starter I will soon tell you if its a 4.2kw iskra or a 3.2kw. You may well have a duff starter! It can happen they are built by humans after all:eek3:
Also had a couple 1000amp batteries fail with in warranty with out warning, they still put out volts but no current or very little.

Reading back quickly you took the earth lead off and fitted a jump lead from battery to chassis/starter? you said it was worse? well it would be a the length of cable and the poor clips of the jump lead clamps would not be as good as the original lead, what you need to do was leave the original lead on and fit the jump lead as an extra to see if it improved things or made no difference if it helps then fit a new or heavy duty earth lead and move on to the next weak link.

is it possible you have a hyd lever stuck so its pumping hyd oil under pressure on start up? that will slow them down.

Take the battery terminals off and clean them properly so they shine ,the braided cable on the earth is bad for not passing enough current so jump lead helper will be worth trying. If battery cables have been made hot too often the copper will lose some of the conductivity and wont carry the power needed to start tractor , new cables may sort your problem but get cables soldered in to fittings to get full power through them

I always solder battery terminal and connectors. Even though I have a crimper for the eyes I still solder them, crimp first then fill with solder proper job never go back fit and forget.

I always solder battery terminal and connectors. Even though I have a crimper for the eyes I still solder them, crimp first then fill with solder proper job never go back fit and forget.
Where do you buy the solder slugs?

Where do you buy the solder slugs?

Sparex normally or local motor factors. they all take solder even the crimp ones! the normal battery terminals with screws in I solder them aswell! sorry if any fitters been to one I done and tried to get the screws out:lol: Roll of thick solder to fill it quick so insulation don't melt and a plumbers blow lamp, if there really dirty I got some flux off the local radiator repair man in a squirty bottle.

Sparex normally or local motor factors. they all take solder even the crimp ones! the normal battery terminals with screws in I solder them aswell! sorry if any fitters been to one I done and tried to get the screws out:lol: Roll of thick solder to fill it quick so insulation don't melt and a plumbers blow lamp, if there really dirty I got some flux off the local radiator repair man in a squirty bottle.
I use plumbers solder and flux:Thumbp2:
Started doing it a couple of years ago with any problem fittings

Back