Starting trouble.

hello again sorry didn't know you were a different person

Sorry for the blunt reply thought you were the other chap I already asked to post pic, please post a pic of the starter you have fitted so we can see what make/brand or type it is as there are loads of cheap rubbish copies of the Lucas ones, if you got one of them it never will start well no matter what you do with it!
Sorry @aandr due to work commitments the last few days I have been gone in the early am hours and home late in the evenings. I will get a picture at the weekend and post it here as you asked.
BTW am thankful for the suggestions and help from all here cause how shall I put it you know yourselves there's always a home for any few pounds that comes in the door. Especially in these times :eek3::eek3:.

Bepco got offers on carbon pile dischargers at the minute:smile:

9504-312.jpg

I'll do it at £55 plus vat with any Bepco parts order value of £150 plus vat subject to availability from Bepco and offer runs out 28th Feb 2017

or there is this smaller one at £25 plus vat (same deal as above spend £150 on Bepco order)
9504-152.jpg
Not to look like a complete gob but how exactly do these work or what way like. Never heard of carbon pile discharges

Not to look like a complete gob but how exactly do these work or what way like. Never heard of carbon pile discharges

This one puts a load on the battery via a dial on the front of it the more you crank it the higher the load up to 500amps I think or more? while its doing this you take a reading from the volt gauge while keeping an eye on the amp gauge as well, so you know how the battery is performing under load. You have to go easy with them it is possible to fudge a good battery with one of these! but its a true test no fudging about its either good or bad.

as it has a volt metre you can also see if the alternator is charging too.

This one puts a load on the battery via a dial on the front of it the more you crank it the higher the load up to 500amps I think or more? while its doing this you take a reading from the volt gauge while keeping an eye on the amp gauge as well, so you know how the battery is performing under load. You have to go easy with them it is possible to fudge a good battery with one of these! but its a true test no fudging about its either good or bad.

as it has a volt metre you can also see if the alternator is charging too.

Considering it I'd cost a small fortune to send £150 of bepco parts across the Irish Sea how much would the tester cost if you were getting bepco stuff for yourself. Along with the F4f discount :whistle:

Considering it I'd cost a small fortune to send £150 of bepco parts across the Irish Sea how much would the tester cost if you were getting bepco stuff for yourself. Along with the F4f discount :whistle:

Sure Northern Ireland is free delivery if its £150 plus, and the tester is at my cost price.

i try not to get in to export so if your southern it would need to be worth my while as i cant be doing with extra hassle with the vat return.

Reactions: max
Well I had a few hours to spare today and managed to get a picture of the starter. Also tried a different battery out of the Fiat tractor wich would be a lot lighter of a battery. It was turning even worse with that battery so it looks like it's been narrowed down to the starter at this stage (hopefully) .

That looks like a lucas copy to me=shite
TBH I wouldn't have a clue on the brand as I couldn't see any markinns or name on it. It is what was recommended at the time :curse: and I just took the man for his word been as he has always been good in the past. Said it was supposed to be a good heavy duty high spin starter. Thought at the time it looked kinda small and light for what he said it was.
In fairness it was very very lively at first but that tractor would have no more than 200 hours on it since that starter was fitted :speechless:. Hope he hasn't taken my pants down for me because it was bloody expexpensive at the time. Around two years since it was done so I presume guarantee well gone :sad2:

TBH I wouldn't have a clue on the brand as I couldn't see any markinns or name on it. It is what was recommended at the time :curse: and I just took the man for his word been as he has always been good in the past. Said it was supposed to be a good heavy duty high spin starter. Thought at the time it looked kinda small and light for what he said it was.
In fairness it was very very lively at first but that tractor would have no more than 200 hours on it since that starter was fitted :speechless:. Hope he hasn't taken my pants down for me because it was bloody expexpensive at the time. Around two years since it was done so I presume guarantee well gone :sad2:
Did you say it was 2nd-hand when you got it? How much is expensive?

Did you say it was 2nd-hand when you got it? How much is expensive?
Definitely wasn't supposed to be second hand anyways. Honestly thinking back on it lately I can't remember rightly was it €250 or €400. As I gave Dad the cheque book with a signed check in it :oops2:. Wasn't too impressed at the time with the price anyways I do remember.

That does not look like a high speed starter ,go off and price a new electra (iskra) high speed starter ,i think there are two different output models .I paid €310 for biggest one from main mf dealer for a 390 .I had to drill holes a bit bigger to fit bolts

4.2 kw is the higher power (iskra) version but that isnt available for all tractors afaik.
There is a 3.1 kw one for a 956 alright, which would still probably be a big improvement.

As promised picture of the starter for @aandr
View attachment 41655

That is not an iskra high speed gear reduction starter. it is a normal style starter. its not lucas either or a copy of one. It could be a standard iskra 2.8kw? I have one of these to get rid off they are okay but nothing special I would take £100 plus vat and carriage but its for a perkins engine so no good to you Johnny.

It could also be a Bosch starter? they do one looks very similar to the normal iskra.

iskrais5262.8kwstartermotorperkins.jpg

What tractor is it Johnny? 956 IH?

IH 956 don't seem to be able to find a gear reduction one at the minute in either 3.2kw or 4.2kw? but Vapormatic do a Jabanna 3.2kw gear reduction one which is VPF6033

Back