pig slurry analysis

Squire

I am awaiting the results of pig slurry that I sent to FBA in Fermoy ,but how do I relate the results to units of nitrogen phosphate and potash per 1000 gallons of slurry ,has anyone any experience of this ,thanking everyone in advace

I do, i will have to get out the pen an paper when you throw up the result. I will take a look and get back to you

I did it for somone before so as ozzy says throw up the result when you get it. I was in fba in cappoquin today and the lad in the soil testing section said they had 10000 samples ahead of them-serious amount.....

Thanks guys,Mary in the office says it could take 12 working days so I will be back to you then,

I am awaiting the results of pig slurry that I sent to FBA in Fermoy ,but how do I relate the results to units of nitrogen phosphate and potash per 1000 gallons of slurry ,has anyone any experience of this ,thanking everyone in advace
still waiting for results rang lab and was told it would be the 24 th of Febuary before the are ready ,will be back then ,thanking everyone for their patience

results finally came,dry matter is 1.6%,nitrogen 3.2%,phosphorus 23865mg/kg,97568mg/kg,hope these results can be converted into units of nitrogen,phosphorus,and potash per thousand gallons of slurry,the slurry had been agitated before sampling,as usual thanking everyone in advance.

Per 1000k Gallons, values given in units

6.5 units n
3.5 units p
14 units k

Thats off the top of my head, will check my calculations later.
Its seriously low DM

I would be saying that its not worth been at it, given those values

ozzy,given the values I would have to agree with you ,but the funny thing is that it is coming from a new piggery and the haulage is paid for by the owner of the piggery and the slurry is really black in colour

is it coming straight from under the pigs or a slurry store?? pig slurry can be very inconsistent, as they tanks are so shallow and have large beams to carry the slats, the agitator doesn't really do anything until the level drops below the beams witch is probably a third of the depth of the tank, then them electric agitators they use wouldn't have great power so usually wouldn't mix a tank from one spot anyways, for that reason it the dry matter will vary a lot from the first load to the last,,

spoke to owner and also teagasc adviser who is very familiar with the unit ,both very surprised with analysis,so we are going to test all tanks with hydrometer next week also both agree that black slurry is high in fertility which is what we have I will let everyone know how we get on.

Back