Bench vice

Danielk

What do ye all have for your bench vices. I built a new workshop and have a bench built and next is a vice. I want a good strong one that will last and can take a bit of a beating. Our last one broke in the old shed but it wasn't to big. What kinda money are we talking and where is the best place to buy

What do ye all have for your bench vices. I built a new workshop and have a bench built and next is a vice. I want a good strong one that will last and can take a bit of a beating. Our last one broke in the old shed but it wasn't to big. What kinda money are we talking and where is the best place to buy

We have a "Ridgid" one like this but without the turntable facility. Its a steel vice and so shouldn't shatter.
Got it a few years ago and very happy with it.

https://www.ridgid.com/us/en/f-series-vises

[MENTION=135]Bog Man[/MENTION] also got one like it last year I think. He had some pictures of it up here.

Last edited by a moderator:
only ones i see lasting are what i know to be a blacksmith floor vice, think candor has some from a post he replied to of mine in another thread but will see what comes up for this thread. i find them to be far steadier than bench vices

If you are looking for a vice to take a beating, it's hard to beat a leg vice.

For other work, the old record vices are good and take a bit of abuse.

Geo Nolan Carlow engineering said We would not break the Rigid and we have tried . The pipe holding Jaw is very good for holding round stuff like hydraulic rams .

Attachments

• 23012011438.jpg
    23012011438.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 113
2 record vices here. One is older then me and has had a hard life but still in great order. I don't sledge on them though and wouldn't be to mad with the lump hammer either but they do get a bit of a hammering now and then. I priced up a cast steel vice a few years ago and I think it was something like 1100 or 1200 euro. Serious vice though.

Working 2 vices here. A handy record vice on the bench which does most of the work and a.leg.vice for the sledge and rough work!! The leg vice would take some breaking as its solid steel. The grip wouldn't be the best however so more suited to bigger awkward things

I am getting this to take away . :clap::clap::clap::clap: It has been sitting in a shed for 25 years so I spoke nicely to the man and he said I could have it .
Next time I am up that way with the loader I will lift it . I believe it came out of the Sugar factory about fifty years ago .
720DD646-68A2-4079-A5D0-DE89128DCDE8.jpg

7FBE7387-3022-45ED-AF73-3C109AE4D602.jpg

ABA0A483-C8D0-4C1A-87AA-F1DBC7D11E59.jpg

IMG_0042.PNG Never passed much heed of the main vice in the workshop at home but the screws holding one jaw sheerd off and I can find it now so checked the no to order new jaws cos old ones are wore out. This thread just perked my interest in how much a new vice would cost, mother of god:speechless:

What are they spraying from aerosol before welding?
Caption that went across the screen said anti spatter non stick or something like that. Don’t know what it’s called but it seemed to stop the weld spatter from sticking.

Back