Massey Ferguson 7400

It is a bit of an art to getting them to stay at 53k on the stick. Carefull use of the foot throttle is needed so to only rev to 1800 to keep the gearbox from dropping the ratio slowing the speed down whilst the revs increase. Still shouldn't be dropping back to 46k though, perhaps the tuning box is interfering with the tractors own settings?

Reactions: max
It's dropping back to less than 53km.if it stayed at 53 it would be ok but it drops to 46kmh before picking up again.

No doubt a bit of driver education wouldn't go astray though, for me, as I haven't don't much on them.
Set it in pedal mode then
Set revs to 1800 and speed to max
Set sensitivity to minimum or the slightest lift of the pedal will over rev it

That must have had some right foot to knacker a set of tyres in 3k hrs, almost seems too cheap?? something not right there me thinks!:unsure:

It is a good bit cheaper than any of the other 7480s they have in.

Transport spec is full suspension and bigger mirrors. Think the seat might be different and possibly a smaller hydraulic pump or at least that is what was on the 6400

Probably that's all its done and been round a lot of roundabouts by the front left tyre! Whats the different specs? seen some advertised 'transport spec'

Wouldn't be known for competitive pricing secondhand, so there must be a snag!
a local contractor informs me he gets new tyres on his tractor all round each year. road work is very hard on them.

Last edited:
I thought 7400 were all full suspension

The 7400 always came fairly well specified compared to the 6400 which had I think three different spec packages - transport, field work and something else. Will need to look back at the used 6400 article to remind myself.

As for Data 3 I think it is more common for them not to have it fitted.

Back