Factory Prices General thread

You'd need to keep in mind that increasing the differential prices between grades will cheapen a larger tonnage of beef than it will add value to. Price should be for meat yield, fat cover, marbling and tenderness.

A p grade heifer with fat cover would be a lot better beef than an under finished Ugrade. It's beef we are producing not pictures of nice looking animals.

Was about 15 other cattle in the chutes to be killed before my load there an hour ago, strange to see it so quite this day of the year. Must stick the dagger in on price for tommorrows load

Went for annual raping yesterday. One of the nicest heifers I ever had left me 113 euro after 6 months of good grass and 125kgs of finisher. Owned land with no rent. Why do I bother lads

Fair play to you for being honest, my reading of this is you got €113 more than you paid for the heifer 6 months ago?
Did the other cattle leave anymore?
I'm afraid your the only one that can answer your question as to why do you bother.

My own views are simple, cattle cost too much in April and May, the farmer selling has got the weight gain, from the best grass in the year, the farmer buying pays for the extra weight and is short a few weeks grazing. On the back foot from the start.

Fair play to you for being honest, my reading of this is you got €113 more than you paid for the heifer 6 months ago?
Did the other cattle leave anymore?
I'm afraid your the only one that can answer your question as to why do you bother.

My own views are simple, cattle cost too much in April and May, the farmer selling has got the weight gain, from the best grass in the year, the farmer buying pays for the extra weight and is short a few weeks grazing. On the back foot from the start.

Why don't more people buy at this time of year? Keep them on a simple diet over winter, and then when they do hit grass in March, they should get a lot of compensatory growth.

You can't really blame farmers who are keeping weanlings over the winter and spring for feeding them. KG's = € with the right type of animal.
I can't predict the future, only tell about last year. We kept the 180kg to 240kg CH heifers over winter. There was about 12. We sold them 300kg+ in March. They would have been worth €650 to €750 this time last year and in March, none of them came in less than €900. Not expensive to keep and very little work. A bale of silage per week @€20 per bale. 2kg of rolled barley/wheat per day (€32/week). Dosing, Slurry, Vet etc €15/hd.
So for 16 weeks
Bales = €320 or €27 each
Feed = €512 or €43
Misc = € 15
Total Cost = €85/hd

On the other side, the bullocks of the same age that I kept in Galway got nothing but silage. Again, a bale per week. But it was poorer quality silage than at home as it had gotten no fertilizer, so to put a value of €20 on it would be brave. They looked raggedy coming out of the shed. They had been getting creep for August, September and October at home and were plump enough going into the shed (all 200 to 250kg). Coming out of the shed, they had shedded the plumpness, but their frames had grown. They turned inside out after a month outside on grass alone and they are 550kg+ right now.

Some lads that I know that factory cattle at this time of year in recent years have held off buying until spring in the hope that cattle will have dropped in price. I don't know if they win much that much of the time at it.

I would be happier paying €900-€950 early next spring than paying €700-€750 now.
I wouldn't. 1 euro per day (including fixed costs) to keep 9-12 month old stock over winter (and that's valuing our own silage, no contractor, at 25 per bale). Larger selection of quality stock available to purchase at a lower price/kg in the autumn. Having tried both I won't be going back to spring purchasing again.

Why don't more people buy at this time of year? Keep them on a simple diet over winter, and then when they do hit grass in March, they should get a lot of compensatory growth.

You can't really blame farmers who are keeping weanlings over the winter and spring for feeding them. KG's = € with the right type of animal.
I can't predict the future, only tell about last year. We kept the 180kg to 240kg CH heifers over winter. There was about 12. We sold them 300kg+ in March. They would have been worth €650 to €750 this time last year and in March, none of them came in less than €900. Not expensive to keep and very little work. A bale of silage per week @€20 per bale. 2kg of rolled barley/wheat per day (€32/week). Dosing, Slurry, Vet etc €15/hd.
So for 16 weeks
Bales = €320 or €27 each
Feed = €512 or €43
Misc = € 15
Total Cost = €85/hd

On the other side, the bullocks of the same age that I kept in Galway got nothing but silage. Again, a bale per week. But it was poorer quality silage than at home as it had gotten no fertilizer, so to put a value of €20 on it would be brave. They looked raggedy coming out of the shed. They had been getting creep for August, September and October at home and were plump enough going into the shed (all 200 to 250kg). Coming out of the shed, they had shedded the plumpness, but their frames had grown. They turned inside out after a month outside on grass alone and they are 550kg+ right now.

Some lads that I know that factory cattle at this time of year in recent years have held off buying until spring in the hope that cattle will have dropped in price. I don't know if they win much that much of the time at it.

God mucky I don't think you could winter weanlings at by your sums 75 cent/day

Maybe a lot of that decision is down to what stock they have currently and what wintering facilities and feeding they have, TBH I never thought weanlings cheap this time of year. On factory prices here's another crock of shyte from a processor...http://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/farmers-should-admit-that-beef-prices-are-quite-strong/

Maybe a lot of that decision is down to what stock they have currently and what wintering facilities and feeding they have, TBH I never thought weanlings cheap this time of year. On factory prices here's another crock of shyte from a processor...http://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/farmers-should-admit-that-beef-prices-are-quite-strong/

I never thought them cheap either but possibly the fancier ones tend to be more variable in price.

Like for like I don't think you'd see as big a differential in dairy bred stock compared to suckler stock from winter to spring.

It also depends if you can make a margin on short keep stock, if you can make money finishing short keep cattle it might make more sense to buy finishing stock in autumn and grass cattle in spring especially if you are freeing up shed space in Feb so can buy in grass cattle before the summer grazers drive things crazy. That said around here If you are looking for big numbers of top quality continental stock you will not t get them in the spring before the market really picks up in march april, so for any value you will have to buy them as weanlings in the fall. Dairy bred stock tend to come to market a bit earlier as dairymen make space pre calving so you can get a bit more of value there.

Not much bite for cattle today. I laid cattle, but doubt the phone will ring back. can buy plenty of them cheaper, I was told

Back