Daily weather forecast update

A few trees down in places. A few old sheds have either been stripped or are well shook locally.
Thankfully apart from the tree down on the road to the home place yesterday evening there's no damage thankfully.
Power was out for most of our area till about 2am this morning but some less fortunate have not long since been got their power back.
The weather today has been wet and miserable with some strong gusts.
Guess been as we escaped ophelia it was our turn this time.
Many thanks to all the workers who had to be out clearing roads and sorting electrical problems.

Anybody know how come the ESB were so quick restoring power to those affected after the storm?

Makes their efforts after Ophelia look very poor.

Anybody know how come the ESB were so quick restoring power to those affected after the storm?

Makes their efforts after Ophelia look very poor.
Was the damage just less severe? The problem around here in October is that the trees were full of leaves and heavy so maybe that's why a lot more of them went down.
Checked today with a neighbour, 1280mms of rain in 2017-I knew it was wet......

Was the damage just less severe? The problem around here in October is that the trees were full of leaves and heavy so maybe that's why a lot more of them went down.

Kind of my theory. I think it's because the west experiences these events more often so the likes of the big trees which caused issues in October are simply not there.

I'm just narked that it took seven days to get back power!

Kind of my theory. I think it's because the west experiences these events more often so the likes of the big trees which caused issues in October are simply not there.

I'm just narked that it took seven days to get back power!
The lads up the west are always whinging so the esb had to get the power on quick or their ears would melt from the abuse...... Only messing lads.....

What we got in the last storm was nothing compared to last night the wind was savage and thunder and lightning about 3am .a few outages but not as much as October.We lost powder then and again recently due to thunder and lightning but not last night.
The weather was way off said it was going to stop around 10 not as strong or never gave the thunder.
What happened in october was that the wind came from a different direction and had hot tress which had never gotten that impact before

there are allot of lads on here that must be sleeping with a guilty conscience awake at 3am in the morning, listening to wind

Will a lot of farmers want to cut roadside trees now for fear of them falling in wind.
There is some onus on landowners to ensure trees are in safe condition

Will a lot of farmers want to cut roadside trees now for fear of them falling in wind.
There is some onus on landowners to ensure trees are in safe condition
Unsafe trees such as those clearly leaning over a road should be cut down but I certainly wouldn't be in favour of cutting all the trees along our roadsides. If certain land owners kept their feckin hedges cut back it would be a lot better imo.

Unsafe trees such as those clearly leaning over a road should be cut down but I certainly wouldn't be in favour of cutting all the trees along our roadsides. If certain land owners kept their feckin hedges cut back it would be a lot better imo.
I couldn’t agree with you more.Its a disscrse the way some land owners never cut their hedges.I can’t see why the council won’t make them do it.

I couldn’t agree with you more.Its a disscrse the way some land owners never cut their hedges.I can’t see why the council won’t make them do it.

They have a statutory obligation to do so but that seems to be just putting an ad in the local paper.

It's like a lot of things with the council, once it's outside the urban areas they don't bother :rolleyes2:

Just doing a bit of walking and contemplating getting a bunch of weanling out to grass of graze land bare completely before slurry. Bonkers! Land seems to have taken water really well over last 2 months, cattle off it early so that really helps

Last edited:
Very hard frost here last night and early today. In fact barely went above freezing all day here.
Land is very wet around here but if we got enough of this weather then it would allow for slurry to be spread as the ground would be hardened up from the frost. Some chance of that though Ha.

Very hard frost here last night and early today. In fact barely went above freezing all day here.
Land is very wet around here but if we got enough of this weather then it would allow for slurry to be spread as the ground would be hardened up from the frost. Some chance of that though Ha.
Is that not completely against recommendations though, spreading on waterlogged or frozen ground.

Think he means more along the lines of the ground will harden up if we get enough frosty dry weather apposed to spreading on frozen ground

Is that not completely against recommendations though, spreading on waterlogged or frozen ground.

Thankfully it won't be a problem for me this year for now anyways with slurry storage.

On @Arthur and point yes it does against everything you should do alright but we'll if anyone's tanks are full then it's slightly better than having to go out on wet ground and it's raining.

On @johndeere6920s point yea you would also hope things might start to dryan up and firm up a bit :Thumbp2:

Hard frost only brings rain, at least that's what the old folks always said around here.

There's a fair biting northerly wind today, you wouldn't stay out in it for long.

Looks like this saying ^^ is bang on. Feckin miserable out here and has been all day so far. On the plus side I've the work done and the fire on so it's feet up for the afternoon :smile:.

Its forecast like today for the next 7 days and then the model is predicting some seriously cold days for this day week onwards - lots of snow in the mix too.

No drying of any sort in the forecast right through next week, land is swimming wet, I wouldn't care to be trying to get a few loads of slurry out.

Back