Spring Barley - General Thread

I see/hear boortmalt are down along these parts looking for malting barley growers for this year? We are a long way from their traditional footprint. The sceptic in me thinks this is too good to be true, the other side of me says for an industry as a whole it's no harm to have another buyer offering a premium for spring barley. Have they fallen out of favour so much with growers in their traditional footprint that they have to come down here which is a serious spin to Athy or is there actually just not enough land for it in these areas. No promise of a price which to be fair I wouldn't expect but there will be a malting premium given if it makes the grade.

Been carting shit onto a stubble field today
Making enough mess too,wont be spreading for a while

When are you guys planning on sowing SB?

Been carting shit onto a stubble field today
Making enough mess too,wont be spreading for a while

When are you guys planning on sowing SB?

Preferably around the 10-12th March but only if conditions are ideal.

Are many on here using DAP in the seedbed for spring barley instead of the traditional compounds? Any views?

I see/hear boortmalt are down along these parts looking for malting barley growers for this year? We are a long way from their traditional footprint. The sceptic in me thinks this is too good to be true, the other side of me says for an industry as a whole it's no harm to have another buyer offering a premium for spring barley. Have they fallen out of favour so much with growers in their traditional footprint that they have to come down here which is a serious spin to Athy or is there actually just not enough land for it in these areas. No promise of a price which to be fair I wouldn't expect but there will be a malting premium given if it makes the grade.

If they paid a fair price and didn't upset growers where they have facilities with their T&C's there would be no reason to be going so far out of their area.

They surely will be paying less down there in account of haulage, otherwise I could see more existing growers getting disgruntled.

If they paid a fair price and didn't upset growers where they have facilities with their T&C's there would be no reason to be going so far out of their area.

They surely will be paying less down there in account of haulage, otherwise I could see more existing growers getting disgruntled.
No as far as I am aware it is the same price no matter where you are.

Are many on here using DAP in the seedbed for spring barley instead of the traditional compounds? Any views?
Haven’t used it here. Not sure why one would choose it unless it’s cheaper. Something tells me that I heard somewhere that the N part of it might give the P part an extra kick if you were very low in P.

Hard to argue with 10.10.20 for the job or even something like 11.7.23 etc if you’d like to up the K. Got some Target 11.7.23+S for this year. Should save us bothering with the likes of 19.0.15 and therefore make the spring barley a two spreader pass job when followed by CAN+S.

They are looking to produce an extra 20000(I think) tons this year.

Haven’t used it here. Not sure why one would choose it unless it’s cheaper. Something tells me that I heard somewhere that the N part of it might give the P part an extra kick if you were very low in P.

Hard to argue with 10.10.20 for the job or even something like 11.7.23 etc if you’d like to up the K. Got some Target 11.7.23+S for this year. Should save us bothering with the likes of 19.0.15 and therefore make the spring barley a two spreader pass job when followed by CAN+S.
What about this Avail fertiliser? The sales pitch is very impressive...
http://www.gouldings.ie/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Gouldings-Avail-booklet.pdf

No not particularly. Actually low in K here in some fields. Just was chatting briefly with merchant today and he was suggesting we place DAP and spread straight K. Didn't really get into figures. Just a thought really....

No not particularly. Actually low in K here in some fields. Just was chatting briefly with merchant today and he was suggesting we place DAP and spread straight K. Didn't really get into figures. Just a thought really....
If your K levels are ok it’s best way IMO,
P is OK in concentrated lines but I would prefer the potash broadcast as an excess of one nutrient in an area will inhibit the uptake of another, K is mobile so once broadcast and washed in it can flow all be it slowly towards the root for uptake, P on the other hand will travels 25mm max in the season so once broadcast after sowing it’s not likely to make it down to the rooting zone unless the soil is moist and the roots can feed up near the top- not likely

Last edited:

Between dairy expansion and lads fed up with them they’ve lost a lot of ground around here

Most NPK combounds are made using DAP, which is a good bit more freely available than TSP that is used in 0/10/20.
I can see no advantage in using DAP over compounds if you need K unless you are using such high rates that the total N&K might comprimise the seed.

Back