Case 1056xl Gearbox problem?

Hi guys...new member here.

I've seen a case advertised for sale but it won't stay in H gear. I've read it could be the synchro or some other stuff. I know the tractor has to be spilt from the clutch and can lifted to access the gearbox.

But my question is what is it most likely to be and how much is the part??? Please help!!!

I've seen a case advertised for sale but it won't stay in H gear. I've read it could be the synchro or some other stuff. I know the tractor has to be spilt from the clutch and can lifted to access the gearbox.

But my question is what is it most likely to be and how much is the part??? Please help!!!
The Low, High and Reverse are not synchroed, so not that, was it fork wear that made them jump out of gear??????
Can't help you prices it is 25 years since I drove a '56.
@Tengtooltom is ell up on these.

Not synchro on that lever my friend. It's just high low and reverse on that lever.
If it goes into gear and then slides out again as the tractor is moving then it's fork wear with is usually solved by a big spring being fitted to keep pressure on the gear stick to stop it slipping out of the high range I think it is.

some 56s had synchro on the range gears as it was optional,when you say it has a H pattern do you mean the gear lever next to the door?,the gear lever next the seat has a h pattern.

some 56s had synchro on the range gears as it was optional,when you say it has a H pattern do you mean the gear lever next to the door?,the gear lever next the seat has a h pattern.
Never seen one with synchro, like they say every day a school day :Thumbp2:

To be honest I don't know casestudy! I've never been in one....im looking out for one for my dad and that one came up on donedeal for sale at decent price. But it said gearbox problem wont stay in H. Don't buy if you can' fix this problem.....but other than that she looked mint!! I think it was for sale in Cavan but when I went back on the add was removed Didn't even get the number If you know where there's one for sale let me know please!

Massive job to do cab off, gearbox has split from the back end. Everything has to then come out the front of the box I believe. Looked into one myself last year with a similar problem. Didnt go for it in the end after talking to a local chap who served his time on them said to stay away unless you love hardship.
Ended up picking up a 1255xl instead..

Picture knicked from facebook shows the amount of stripping that has to be done.
FB_IMG_1519567556318.jpg

There was a Kennedy lad outside Callan in Killkenny that bought and rebuilt 956 xl and 1056 xl and sell them again.................................

Massive job to do cab off, gearbox has split from the back end. Everything has to then come out the front of the box I believe. Looked into one myself last year with a similar problem. Didnt go for it in the end after talking to a local chap who served his time on them said to stay away unless you love hardship.

Picture knicked from facebook shows the amount of stripping that has to be done.
View attachment 51877
if you only have to do gears 1st to 4th only the front part of the box has to come off,for the range gears the box everything has to come out.

Well fuck it anyway....im in two minds now! He currently has a Case 1394 2wd but needs a 4wd. I've told him that he needs to have at least a 100hp to do the work he does comfortably. (General farm work) he loves Case hence why I was looking! Is the 1255xl much bigger??

View attachment 51877

Where on Facebook did you get the pics??

Well fuck it anyway....im in two minds now! He currently has a Case 1394 2wd but needs a 4wd. I've told him that he needs to have at least a 100hp to do the work he does comfortably. (General farm work) he loves Case hence why I was looking! Is the 1255xl much bigger??
Not 100% certain but I think the1255xl is same engine just a bigger injection pump and maybe a turbo :eek3:. A good tractor from all reports of what they were in there day.

Not 100% certain but I think the1255xl is same engine just a bigger injection pump and maybe a turbo :eek3:. A good tractor from all reports of what they were in there day.
Same engine with a turbo completely different back end. Wouldn't be as maneuverable as a 956. Theyre an out and out draft tractor.

Same engine with a turbo completely different back end. Wouldn't be as maneuverable as a 956. Theyre an out and out draft tractor.
Are they not the German manufactured ones like the 956 ?
Can imagine them big on draft work alright. Drove a 1455xl For a day or two must be twenty years now. An animal of a tractor for ploughing and pulling trailers. A slow dog on the road though.

Can imagine them big on draft work alright. Drove a 1455xl For a day or two must be twenty years now. An animal of a tractor for ploughing and pulling trailers. A slow dog on the road though.
as far as i know there are no french 1255 certainly no 1455 were built in france,12\1455 had a zf gearbox and a clutch setup like the old fendt turbomatik clutch

Yeah German made but with a ZF backend the only things it would have in common with a 956 is the engine block and cab

Springs and Balls on the selectors. Heavier (modified) ones are/were available to help sort this out. Also, modify the holes in the rails to allow the balls to sink in deeper,to get a more positive grip. Lots of work involved but nothing difficult, even for the home mechanic.

Back