Silage 2018

fine and green with you lads still :Thumbp2:

im not seeing all this burned land around that everyone is talking about. we have zero growth here but not burned much more than a normal year but we are on very light land that burns regularly.

I think land that was facing the sun got burned worse . Grass under some trees is still green but under others is burnt . On my travels to west Cork I thought that kilkenny was Burnt very bad . Any idea what soil temperatures are like .

I got 3.7 bales an acre of second cut that is being fed. Have a good first cut in the pit but if no third cut things will be tight if there's a spring like the last.

Have baled some of works own 3rd cut getting a bale to the acre . It needed to be cut to have some chance of a decent cut later on. Any second cut that's been baled seem to be in the 3 to 5 bale an acre bracket . But very stemmy grass you'd question the feeding value of it . .

IMG_9030.PNG

The Carlow temp is reading a lot higher than anywhere else in the country.

A lot of my second is performing badly and seems to have stopped growing. I'm thinking of cutting off what's there and going again for third cut. Is there many people doing this?

A lot of my second is performing badly and seems to have stopped growing. I'm thinking of cutting off what's there and going again for third cut. Is there many people doing this?
This has crossed my mind the last few days but with the rain today I think I'll hang tough and see what comes of it

I'm going to see what happens after this rain, have lots of light whispy grass with nothing between them. Ill see if it fills out abit.

It might depend a lot on the weather afterwards, it rained here for a week in the middle of June, it was that warm during and afterwards that it made little difference, there was more rain this past two weeks, probably less than what fell in June but it has been a lot cloudier and cooler this time and it has turned the place around, even the grass on the sand dunes is growing again

Thats what we done. Its greening up mighty now again. Will ne a big boost

I mowed silage for a customer last Saturday and that was his second cut. Was light but he wanted it off and I am back up here today dressing it back up for the 3rd cut

same here going to give it another bag and hope it bulks up ,still have a shortfall of 800 tons:scared::scared::scared:

A lot of lads have done this in past fortnight peter.mowers be busy in sept and october

We baled some, zerograzed some and grazed more. I think it needs to be cleaned off to allow it start fresh again. We baled it 16 days ago, the fields are now green again, fert out 15 days now, ready for a bang or at least I’m hoping for a bang.

Back