Grass Growth Rates

Growth 44 (yay!)
AFC 666
Cover/LU 210
Think its slowed a bit again, ground hard as hell still.
Have slowed down the meal from 10 to 6 kilos and started to introduce silage now (again) that the real stressed grass has been Grazed off. Hoping to get the cover/LU up more before we can relax somewhat.

Growth 96
Demamd 45
Cover/LU 298
Really motored the last week, but have a couple of really dry paddocks that are still sulking, I'm wondering if the grass is damaged??

Never got the real boost as some others here. Growth back to 37 from 67 afc 700 cover per lu 242. Quality looks impeccable bit definitely after slowing down. Any skulls of hills really slow coming back. Even some wet ground after slowing down. Think the rain that fell actually drained off too quick. Feeding 4kgs in parlour along with 6 kg of silage PK and beet pulp

be thankful that at least you guys seem to have gotten growth, every little bit is helpful :Thumbp2:
I walked meadows in galway that really grew nothing since the end of June. They had grown a bit from early june when they got slurry and fertilizer. They had just completely stopped. Thankfully in the last 5 days they have gotten moving again and thickened up. 10 days growth as good as the last 5 and they will have a good crop for cutting. Its quantity over quality at this stage. Thankfully we have quality stuff from the first cut for flattening.

Growth around 15. Wondering is it even worth Direct seeding some grass into grass as it's just so dry in top few inches

The last 7 days brought some of the best growing days of 2018. Growth was close on 100. Yesterday was 22 degrees at peak and it was damp. We had another 15mm of rain last night. We still appear to be holding the upper hand on ground conditions but only just. Ground has soaked up an awful lot of moisture over the last 18 days. I hadn't realised that it had been so dried out. At this stage I'd settle for a few middling days - not heat but rather days without rain.

40 and dropping rapidly again. 27 degrees and a gale of wind all evening.

What's your growing season like down there? It's quite common for it to come cold here in mid september and grass growth rates to slow right down leaving us relying on grass grown from mid august onwards to get us through until mid october. On the other hand, we have often had a mild winter where grass has grown right through (2016 being the best example).

I suppose what I'm asking is when do you start to get nervous?

It would be a complete disaster for you guys if went very quickly from warm and dry into very cold weather. Unfortunately, due to the fact that weather fronts are blocking the atlantic / westerly weather fronts, if this continues, we could see a dry cold winter.

What's your growing season like down there? It's quite common for it to come cold here in mid september and grass growth rates to slow right down leaving us relying on grass grown from mid august onwards to get us through until mid october. On the other hand, we have often had a mild winter where grass has grown right through (2016 being the best example).

I suppose what I'm asking is when do you start to get nervous?

It would be a complete disaster for you guys if went very quickly from warm and dry into very cold weather. Unfortunately, due to the fact that weather fronts are blocking the atlantic / westerly weather fronts, if this continues, we could see a dry cold winter.
A poor season.very very wet spring, maybe 3-4 weeks good growing in may. Heat and lack of water then for 7-8 weeks, good growth for 2-3 weeks then and slowing rapidly again now. Awkward and very costly year

Figure around here seems that we have grown maybe 40% of normal up to now (33% of total). Probably lucky to hit 50% growth for the full season.

I have after grass to graze yet(need to put up new fence before cattle go into it) and it's 70 days since the silage was cut. Somewhere about nearly ready for grazing. Probably 1000 - 1200 on it

Can nearly see grass growing here. Cut some silage yesterday and it's raining on it all day. There's always one gobshyte that manages to make wet silage in a dry summer. It appears that this year, the driest on record, I am the aforementioned gobshyte

Can nearly see grass growing here. Cut some silage yesterday and it's raining on it all day. There's always one gobshyte that manages to make wet silage in a dry summer. It appears that this year, the driest on record, I am the aforementioned gobshyte
Don't feel too bad there is a few of those down here as well :whistle:

Don't feel too bad there is a few of those down here as well :whistle:

And here. We baled a good bit 2 weeks ago last sunday. The old 168 couldn't lift them at all. Glad we did it though. We haven't had a full dry day since. Some of the stuff that we baled earlier in the summer got no shake out and the 168 would have lifted 2 of them - 1 bale will still feed twice as much as the wet stuff.

Grass is finally motoring on with me now as well. Not before time. I cut silage the first week of june and only now have cattle in grazing the aftergrass. Another field still hasn't been grazed since then and is only now recovering. Even the docks are only coming on now in it. I wouldn't like to be paying 300 plus an acre for it and that poor return.

A man near here mowed down hay on the first of June and baled it up the first of July. Seemingly when he pulled out the haybob all the tines and springs needed to be replaced and when he got that done he decided to give a coat of paint.
No rain here but grass is powering on here.

Looking at grass growth rates around the country, for once in our lifetime, we are cock of the walk in Leitrim with 73 last sunday. That's double what Carlow had. I expect it to be a long, cold, wet winter with no growth until next June in these parts.

Growth almost static here. Very low covers and thats after rationing out the bit we have for the last month. Put up a row of pigtails earlier and was shocked at how hard it was to get them fully into the ground. It will be an early winter. I see where we cut on the june bank holiday has grew damm all and gone patchy with weeds of all sorts in the gaps and thats only 5 years sown down and fairly good indexs.

Growth almost static here. Very low covers and thats after rationing out the bit we have for the last month. Put up a row of pigtails earlier and was shocked at how hard it was to get them fully into the ground. It will be an early winter. I see where we cut on the june bank holiday has grew damm all and gone patchy with weeds of all sorts in the gaps and thats only 5 years sown down and fairly good indexs.
I don't know if liking your post is the right thing to do but it was more of a thank you for telling us type of thing .that's tough going it's the opposite with me I'm grazing ground I cut on the June bank holiday weekend but for the 4th time I also cut a few acres out of this field cause it was too strong for the cows. We had 7mm of rain last night and 16mm on Monday night ! On average since it started raining again at the start of Aug we have had 25mm per week . If it doesn't stop raining now this will be my last round of grazing as places are getting sticky and I have no problem putting in pig tail stakes! Down here we needed the summer we got but we don't need any more rain

Back