Milk liners, what's your poison?

Use silicone liners here, says on the tin they are good for 10k milkings but in reality they can do a lot more if you want. Suppose pulsation switching off when not in use saves a bit of wear and tare too..

They use the silicone liners here. dairy manager says they were roughly 2 x the price and last just over 2 x as long, one thing he did say was with the old liners they drop off gradually if you went past there time for changing, the silicone ones drop off like a stone. Not sure how often they change them, theres 60 units for 1000 cows

Well I wouldn't recommend going above 2000 milkings. How many units and cows have you?

16 units, 7 rounds of cows. Limited by milk price in changing the liners this year. I always kept liners for a year but changed to changing them twice a year a while back.

16 units, 7 rounds of cows. Limited by milk price in changing the liners this year. I always kept liners for a year but changed to changing them twice a year a while back.
I don't like to be telling a lad to spend money when it's hard found, but those liners ideally need to be changed. Well, keep a very very close eye on your SCC, if it rises, don't even put it off till next week, change them at once. If you have ACRs you'll get a bit longer out of them. Hot washes and longer than needed washes are hard on rubberware too.
We used to reluctantly change them once a year in our old parlour. I also recall extraordinarily high SCC results, not all down to the liners but was one of the contributers.

I don't like to be telling a lad to spend money when it's hard found, but those liners ideally need to be changed. Well, keep a very very close eye on your SCC, if it rises, don't even put it off till next week, change them at once. If you have ACRs you'll get a bit longer out of them. Hot washes and longer than needed washes are hard on rubberware too.
We used to reluctantly change them once a year in our old parlour. I also recall extraordinarily high SCC results, not all down to the liners but was one of the contributers.

I agree, it's a concern but scc is ambling along at around 100 atm, even though after 6 weeks with no mastitis case, there's been 6 cases in 5 cows in the last 3 days:angry:.
But they are high scc cows milked last and feeding beef calves so not a great loss.
Have acrs also and am careful with wash routine and acid/detergent rates.

The pressure will ease next year, have a large payback loan coming to an end c.5c/l and 2.5c in tax on it also, so a good bit of money freed up for investment/food next year:D

I agree, it's a concern but scc is ambling along at around 100 atm, even though after 6 weeks with no mastitis case, there's been 6 cases in 5 cows in the last 3 days:angry:.
But they are high scc cows milked last and feeding beef calves so not a great loss.
Have acrs also and am careful with wash routine and acid/detergent rates.

The pressure will ease next year, have a large payback loan coming to an end c.5c/l and 2.5c in tax on it also, so a good bit of money freed up for investment/food next year:D

Aye I know the feeling, that was me in 2012! If the SCC does take in to rising though, don't hesitate as you could end up doing permanent damage to cows without realising. The ****ing tax is a concern on dairy farms this year, and is going to become more of a problem too with the rise in stock value and fluctuations in milk price.

Westfalia liners have nothing about number of milking but instead have 750 hours on the packet, they put an hour meter on the vacuum pumps then which is handy for the rest of the parts when servicing

Edit to say I think silicone ones are 1500 hours then

Aye I know the feeling, that was me in 2012! If the SCC does take in to rising though, don't hesitate as you could end up doing permanent damage to cows without realising. The ****ing tax is a concern on dairy farms this year, and is going to become more of a problem too with the rise in stock value and fluctuations in milk price.

Income averaging helps to balance out the flucuating milk price.

That and doing acounts early (ive 2014s done a couple of months) allows your to make sure youll have it when its time to pay.

As said not changing liners could be false economy buts once a year should be plenty. The creamery wont be long relieving you of the price of the liners if you get a scc fine.

Income averaging helps to balance out the flucuating milk price.

That and doing acounts early (ive 2014s done a couple of months) allows your to make sure youll have it when its time to pay.

As said not changing liners could be false economy buts once a year should be plenty. The creamery wont be long relieving you of the price of the liners if you get a scc fine.

I don't really agree with you there. Price cycles in milk are looking at 3 year cycles, troughs in 2009, 2012 and 2015 with peaks in 2008, 2011 and 2014.

Over a 3 year cycle, you still have a big tax bill to pay from the peak due in the trough year.

In truth, we need a minimum 5 year income averaging to iron out the peak demands.

Westfalia liners have nothing about number of milking but instead have 750 hours on the packet, they put an hour meter on the vacuum pumps then which is handy for the rest of the parts when servicing

Edit to say I think silicone ones are 1500 hours then

You are correct 1500 hours or 1 year is what it says on the packet

If average milk time is 7.5 mins thats 12 thousand milkings minus washing

Another advantage of the autowasher, in the old parlour, esp in the spring or when your busy the parlour would regularly be washing for 20mins+ before you'd get a chance to turn it off ha, with the autowasher its 9mins every time. Why do the ACRs help the lifespan?

On the income averaging, its been changed from 3years to 5years, which should help overcome the 3year price cycle.

Brucey, where did you get those ultraliners?
My Machine man sells them, but he hates them, he won't tell me why but he gives out about them constantly. Hes a Gascoigne agent and I'm sure that any Gascoigne agent can sell them. I can give you the number of my lad if you're having trouble. I wouldn't use anything else.

My Machine man sells them, but he hates them, he won't tell me why but he gives out about them constantly. Hes a Gascoigne agent and I'm sure that any Gascoigne agent can sell them. I can give you the number of my lad if you're having trouble. I wouldn't use anything else.
Brucey are you still using the Ultraliners?

Just wonder what people are using, how they find them and how often do they change?
A Salesman at the ploughing match about 6 yrs ago convinced me to try out his Milkrite Impulse Ultraliner (the triangle shaped ones) on one cluster, he gave me the liners and cups for free, he was sure I'd be back. He was right.
Have just changed my set for the second time this year (approx 2400 milkings) and this time I went and took the weights out of the shells, the set up was already very light, but now it's ultra light, and I have to say I am dead chuffed with them. Admittedly I should have changed the liners 2/3 weeks earlier. My service man hates them, but is unable to tell me why!
View attachment 30562

Have to buy liners this week was going to talk to Milkrite if they were at ploughing but cant see that they have a stand there..... would they have been on some other stand name or are they just not doing the ploughing anymore? Main reason id want them is for the lighter claws .. old type dairymaster cluster here very heavy to go back to after milking in a place with light clusters

Using Dairymaster 016? liners here. Seem to be splitting where they are attached to the cluster a fair bit, would replace a few every week. Same with the vacuum pipes. Now we were putting it down to heifers standing on them but they are settled a good while now.
Probably getting up on 1600 milking now so is this normal enough. The lad we bought the parlour from was using milk rite liners and I have a full set of shells for those. Might be worth a try I suppose.

I tried milkrite liners a few years back and got all 32 sets replaced in under 3 months on warranty as they all cracked,the next set Started to fail at 2000 milkings so I've gone back to Kingston liners,the only reason I changed was I thought we were getting a lot of liner slip at the time,I've since put it down to a particular group of heifers as we've not had it since.

I used them here for a few years and got on great with them, have a new machine now with the Waikato light shells with square liners, so the same principal. I found the milk rite liners a great job but had an issue with them once where the cows had a long walk in to a new paddock, they thought bad of dropping the milk and the cluster would climb up the cows teat and choke the milk canal, I have since learned that I should have lowered the vacuum on the machine as we went from a very heavy cluster set to a very light one. Yes, I would recommend them and still think highly of them. They were on a the Gascoigne/Beaumatic stand at the time.

I used them here for a few years and got on great with them, have a new machine now with the Waikato light shells with square liners, so the same principal. I found the milk rite liners a great job but had an issue with them once where the cows had a long walk in to a new paddock, they thought bad of dropping the milk and the cluster would climb up the cows teat and choke the milk canal, I have since learned that I should have lowered the vacuum on the machine as we went from a very heavy cluster set to a very light one. Yes, I would recommend them and still think highly of them. They were on a the Gascoigne/Beaumatic stand at the time.

Brucey I had the really heavy claw pieces too but changed like you a couple of months ago to the light claw piece,but I find the cows are not milking out great in the 2 front quarters since I changed.its a dairymaster parlour

Brucey I had the really heavy claw pieces too but changed like you a couple of months ago to the light claw piece,but I find the cows are not milking out great in the 2 front quarters since I changed.its a dairymaster parlour
I'd be asking questions on the vacuum level tbh, I know Dairymaster run at a high vacuum level.

So when I went from heavy dairymaster claws to the light 1's I should have lowered the vacume brucey is this right what I am saying?

Back