Silage 2018

It was cut Monday and baled last night
20180904_104136.jpg

Bales 2 bits of 2nd cut today. Mowed on Monday with moco. Shook out Tuesday
Raked last night and baled this am. 5 bales off 2 acres. 30 off 5.5 acres. He tells me it's averaging 4.5 bales per acre now. He also said he heard of bales of silage sold locally for €50 :cry:. He also remarked that it's hard enough to get anyone to move and mow.
20180905_164208.jpg

Harvest 2018 is finished just stacking the last of the bales in the yard and trying to find space for them, will be up around 150 bales this year so it will save a nice few euro not having to feed ration this winter

Harvest 2018 is finished just stacking the last of the bales in the yard and trying to find space for them, will be up around 150 bales this year so it will save a nice few euro not having to feed ration this winter

It's a huge relief isn't it? We are up quite a bit based on the fodder budget. We don't have that many extra bales, but the dry matter of the feed that we have is unprecedented.

It's a huge relief isn't it? We are up quite a bit based on the fodder budget. We don't have that many extra bales, but the dry matter of the feed that we have is unprecedented.
Ya it's great alright I've been sailing close to the wind the last few years with long winters so will be ok for this one

You would be very busy with one to be honest when pressure is on. The 2 harvesters were out that day...
Life is a lot less hectic if you have two machines and if one breaks down it does not stop the whole show . We got a donation of cattle slurry the other day and there was two tankers drawing an agitator mixing and the farmers own tanker moving slurry between tanks trying to break up a crust . It would have been a three day job if he was on his own . All tilled in and a cover crop sown by Saturday morning .

Any idea what bales of Silage are making down south? A neighbour buying a few off me and don’t want to overcharge him.......but don’t want to undercharge myself either!!!

I was offered some at €35, that was drawn to the yard and wrapped in our yard straight from the field, I’m ok so I did not take them and I know another lad offered from a different guy for €35 also. Might be a few quid more Dependent on the area.

Maybe I’m wrong but with straw being €25 a bale and even that is probably cheaper than a lot of bales went for, should silage not be around €50, when you consider that silage is usually about double the price of straw, or more, most years? €12 straw, €25 silage usually around here.

Maybe I’m wrong but with straw being €25 a bale and even that is probably cheaper than a lot of bales went for, should silage not be around €50, when you consider that silage is usually about double the price of straw, or more, most years? €12 straw, €25 silage usually around here.
No harm in asking for it

Back