Cull cows

podge 23

I have three 3 pap cows, 1 two pap all in calf what are my options with them sell them before they calve or calve them down and into the factory ??

you need to send a fat cow to factory the day after calving really or else she wont kill out as well ,3 pap cows milk away no bother .I do not see any advantage why lads get rid of perfectly good 3 pap cows

you need to send a fat cow to factory the day after calving really or else she wont kill out as well ,3 pap cows milk away no bother .I do not see any advantage why lads get rid of perfectly good 3 pap cows

I milked a 2 titted cow , for 5 years , and she was far from the worst cow I had. Calved her lateish as a 2 and a bit yr old , she didn't go back in calf , kept her , she got a start in 2 spins during the summer. lucky she didn't die from it . Kept a couple of heifers from her , good cows.
Late calvers , slow milkers and kickers are 1o times worse.

I've at least 10 3 teat cows, I tend to dry off any quarters that have persistent mastitis, rarely notice any reduction in yield afterwards. And same as you jf, milked a 2 teat cow here all yr, big old HO cow who still did over 25l on the 2 teats, I reluctantly let her on last week because she was empty and I'm short on fodder, still giving 16l before I dried her up.

Ya they r not bad milkers to be fair, I suppose if a lad had alot of replacements comming in he would be inclined to move them on I think there is some new rule now that you can't send a fresh cow to the factory until a week after calving.

Back